Default Certificate from the resort??

Im sure this question has been addressed before, but can anyone tell me if they used the certificate from the resort to get their name on their drivers license/ banking changed? Really dont want to make a trip across town and stand in line for an hour to find out it wont be accepted!

Immediately after the wedding, you'll receive a temporary "certificate." Brides on the MB have reported difficulty changing their names with this document. The marriage certificate will be issued by the Ministry of Justice and forwarded to Couples, which will, in turn, forward the certificate to you. Most people have reported that it takes about two months to receive it. You can use the marriage certificate as evidence of your marriage in order to change your name with Social Security, the DMV, your bank, etc.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

you need the original to change your name, etc. We tried it with the copy but they would not take it! Hope this helps!! Good Luck

HI!
    Im from Fargo, ND and they took my copy that I got right from the resort and got it changed without any problems. I just recieved the originals in the mail here a couple weeks ago and we got married April 15th, so it took a little while. -tasha

well looks like some accept it some don't. Guess the first place to start is the DMV. If they wont take it then I would not want to change anything else. Hate to have a Drivers License that doesn't match credit cards ect..

I was concerned because when they have you print your name on the 3 copies after your ceremony, they told me to print it out how it reads on the certificate (my old name) and I know here in the states, you sign the name you want to assume. So, since the actual marriage doc doesn't show both old and new last name, I'm afraid it won't be accepted as a name change doc. I guess I was hoping for confirmation that I printed the right thing (like they said) on there even though I want to take my hubby's name.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim<3Todd8809 View Post
    I was concerned because when they have you print your name on the 3 copies after your ceremony, they told me to print it out how it reads on the certificate (my old name) and I know here in the states, you sign the name you want to assume. So, since the actual marriage doc doesn't show both old and new last name, I'm afraid it won't be accepted as a name change doc. I guess I was hoping for confirmation that I printed the right thing (like they said) on there even though I want to take my hubby's name.
    You signed the document correctly. Your name doesn't change automatically upon marriage, so you sign the name you have, not the name you want to assume. Your confusion stems from the fact that the statute governing marriage licenses and name changes in Kansas, your state of residence, requires that you indicate at the time you apply for a license whether or not you intend to change your name, and the license contains both your "old" name and your "new" name. Kansas law has no application in Jamaica, however. In Jamaica and states that do not require you to designate any name change before the actual wedding, signing your current legal name is appropriate. I signed my given name when I married my husband in Michigan and had no trouble assuming his name once I received our marriage certificate.

I hope I'm wrong, but you might encounter difficulty changing your name on your driver's license. The Kansas statutes do not address name changes with a foreign marriage certificate, so it could happen that the clerks with whom you'll deal will be confused by a marriage certificate that differs from a Kansas marriage certificate. If you do encounter difficulty, contact your state attorney general's office. His office has a division that deals with consumer issues, and someone from that office should be able to help you.
    Pamela

well blue cross blue shield asked for proof of us being married to ad me to the insurance. They accepted this certifiate. I then made a copy of it at home and took it to the DMV. They said because it was a "copy" they would not take it. Guess I will take the original back out and see what happens!

I recently got back from getting married at CTI. When I went about changing my name, I played dumb. The real certificate doesn't come for 10-12 weeks, so when the attendant at the DMV asked about the fact that it said copy, I said that that's what they gave me. I was told by the social security office that I should have gone there first. Pretty much once you've got the social security card changed and the driver's license changed, everywhere else should accept your card as well. At least the copy that I got was actually signed by me. Good luck! I hear every state is different...and I'm in Virgina. =)

I too played dumb when trying to change my name with the certificate. I had no problems at the Social Security office and actually was denied 2xs at the DMV and tried at a different location and the lady accepted it. I think it depends on which clerk you get and its to their discretion if they decide to accept it or not. By the way- we were married May 22nd and still have not recieved our marriage license so be patient on getting that back.

I live in Ohio and was able to get my SSN and DL changed, but I do think it was just luck with the clerk I got. It is always worth a try, though, and hopefully you can change it right away!

Went to the DMV, SS Office, and my Bank and they all accepted the resort document for my name change. Didn't want to wait the 12 weeks to get the other one in the mail. I am sure every state is different, but mine accepted it yesterday. They did all say oh what an odd looking wedding certificate!!

The DFA (the AR version of DMV) accepted mine. So did the military for my spouse military ID. Haven't tried the SS office yet.

Do u have to register ur wedding certificate with the county? I'm in TX and I wasn't sure if this was necessary. After calling them...I realized they don't know a thing either!

Quote Originally Posted by dmccorm View Post
    Do u have to register ur wedding certificate with the county? I'm in TX and I wasn't sure if this was necessary. After calling them...I realized they don't know a thing either!
    No, you don't "register" your wedding certificate with the county. That misinformation is still floating around from the old FAQs, and it was simply wrong.

This is the way that the process works: When you intend to marry, you obtain a marriage license from the state/county/country in which you intend to wed, regardless of where you live. After the marriage ceremony takes place, the officiant signs the license, documenting that the ceremony has in fact occurred and that you have wed. The officiant then files the signed license with the issuing authority, which in turn issues the marriage certificate. That's it.

A marriage certificate is only issued by the venue in which it occurred, and the individual states have no process for filing or registering foreign marriage certificates.
    Pamela

We married Aug. 25th, I went last week to the S.S. office with my resort cert. and was able to change my name. The clerk did mention it didn't look like the one's she's seen from Jamaica, but I told her that's what the resort gave me - and luckily, it worked!

will be 13 weeks this saturday and still do not have the cerrtificate!

Its been 14 weeks for us and still no certificate. I tried to change my name at the social security office when we got back. They wouldn't let me change it because the temporary document didn't have a seal. So, I'm still waiting...

Has anyone from Arkansas tried to change their information?

I'm from Arkansas but I haven't tried to change any of my information yet. I just got my marriage certificate about 2 weeks ago. Are you having trouble changing your info?

We are scheduled to marry on January 5th, 2010. enougDid you try using your copy of the marriage certificate that you recieved from the resort to change your information prior to recieving your marriage certificate? I was just wondering if the copy would be enough to change names, add to insurance, etc...

So it will be 16 weeks on tuesday and still no certificate!