Hybrid View

Default Electrical adapter needed?

From what I've read it appears most of Jamaica uses the same outlets as does the U.S. Has anyone had a different experience?

They do use the same outlets, but be aware that it's a lower voltage. (amperage?) What that means is that your hair dryer and flat/curling irons, etc. might not have the same "oomph" as they do in the states. Also, for our laptop.... it would power the laptop, but didn't have enough getupandgo to charge them, so the battery was dead when we left.

Have fun!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vee View Post
    Also, for our laptop.... it would power the laptop, but didn't have enough getupandgo to charge them, so the battery was dead when we left.
    We charge all electronics with no issue...but speed of the charge.

Same plugs as the 120V USA, but only 50 HZ. No problem for the equipment.

Some resorts have both the British 240V and USA 120V plugs in the rooms.
    Irie Mon

Like Vee said - Stuff plugs in fine but your curling iron or hair dryer does lack some of the power it has at home. (FYI - No need to take your hair dryer because they are on the wall in the bathroom.) My curling iron doesn't get as hot so with that & the humidity, my hair does not curl or smooth out so I always look like a frizz head with "big hair" while in Jamaica. Oh well!!!!!!!! Who cares??? Not me.
    Julie

My iPod charged with no issue, as did the cell phones, but the laptop is a bit of a monster. I left it plugged in all day, and nope. No charging. A lot of that prob has to do with your power adapter, too.

Yep. It’s 50Hz which means that charging will take longer. You’re on “Jamaica time” anyway.