Thread: Snorkeling

Default Snorkeling

Is there people that bring there own snorkel gear and snorkel in front of CSA ?

Yes, you can bring your own snorkeling gear. You can also use your own snorkeling gear on the snorkeling trips offered at the resort. The resort also has snorkeling gear to use during their snorkeling trips. Not the greatest, but not bad either. But they won't let you use their snorkeling gear for anything other than their snorkeling trips.

We intend to bring our own gear on our next trip to couples. Mostly because the gear the resort has does not fit my wife very well. So we recently bought our own snorkeling gear.

The airline we use allows us each a checked bag. From experience, we have learned to pack less stuff. We should have plenty of room in our luggage for our snorkeling gear.

Yes you can. There isn't much to see out front though.

Quote Originally Posted by softail19 View Post
    Yes you can. There isn't much to see out front though.
    Hi softail19,

How many times have you been and to which resorts? Curious because you always have a wealth of information (I see posts by you all the time!)....and I'm pretty sure I saw your youtube video by the way....I recognized the softail when I saw it LOL We have only been once (CSA this past May for our Weddingmoon) and plan to return May 2015. I'd return tomorrow (and never leave) if I could afford it!!!!! LOL

Showsteer:
    What softail said! We also have our own gear--easy to pack--didn't take much space in our luggage at all. If you are checking 2 bags, I'd put one in each to even out the weight (not that they are that heavy, but 2 in one bag plus clothes, etc likely would be). The resort snorkel excursions are a must as well...the water sports crew is amazing and make it so fun! They dive down and bring up all kinds of things for you to touch and hold and take pics with and so on. It makes an awesome memory even more special. Jillian (hopefully I'm spelling that correctly) is by far one of the best guides and a ton of fun!!!! I have asthma and was concerned at 1st that I may have issues with it due to breathing in that little tube. He kept an eye on me and checked in (outside of bringing me fun things to hold) to make sure I was doing ok, which I was. Cuz in Jamaica, everyting irie mon When are you guys going? Is this your 1st time to Couples?

My husband and I are also considering bringing our own gear. "Not much to see out front" - but how about anywhere nearby accessible from the beach?

You can face the beach and make a right, walk past the next resort and try it there. There are sea stars in the swimming area at times, and some are pretty large. You can also bring your gear on the Cat. cruise and snorkel in and around the caves when the boat stops. Bring your own, it's worth it.

Do you have to use a snorkel? Can you just use the mask and come up for air?

Quote Originally Posted by beachorbust View Post
    Hi softail19,

How many times have you been and to which resorts? Curious because you always have a wealth of information (I see posts by you all the time!)....and I'm pretty sure I saw your youtube video by the way....I recognized the softail when I saw it LOL We have only been once (CSA this past May for our Weddingmoon) and plan to return May 2015. I'd return tomorrow (and never leave) if I could afford it!!!!! LOL

Showsteer:
    What softail said! We also have our own gear--easy to pack--didn't take much space in our luggage at all. If you are checking 2 bags, I'd put one in each to even out the weight (not that they are that heavy, but 2 in one bag plus clothes, etc likely would be). The resort snorkel excursions are a must as well...the water sports crew is amazing and make it so fun! They dive down and bring up all kinds of things for you to touch and hold and take pics with and so on. It makes an awesome memory even more special. Jillian (hopefully I'm spelling that correctly) is by far one of the best guides and a ton of fun!!!! I have asthma and was concerned at 1st that I may have issues with it due to breathing in that little tube. He kept an eye on me and checked in (outside of bringing me fun things to hold) to make sure I was doing ok, which I was. Cuz in Jamaica, everyting irie mon When are you guys going? Is this your 1st time to Couples?
    Hi beachorbust, went to css on a secret rendezvous once, got married at csa in 04 and have trip #6 there booked for April(86 sleeps)!! We are renewing our vows too on the 22nd so extra excited. I guess I don't have enough to do but I admit I'm a message board addict. We've also done cn for a day. Wish we could try them all but we just love csa's beach too much

We also bring our own snorkel gear and last year spent a lot of time snorkeling around in the roped in area. For some reason there were A LOT of sea stars of all sizes last January. If you snorkel early in the morning (around 9:00), there's also a good chance that you will see a stingray or two. It is true that the sea bottom is soft and sandy with almost no sea grass, coral, or rocks to attract fish. Having our own snorkel gear also means that we can snorkel in the caves if we take the catamaran cruise.

The issue with snorkeling just off shore of CSA is you cannot go outside the bouy line. If you do, there is a good chance you will be hit by a boat and/or jetskis.

Caution.

Take your gear to the resort snorkeling outings. I liked CSA's way more than the one we did at CTI. CSA's was on a reef, but the majority of it was in water 10-13 feet deep. The one at CTI, granted I'm sure there are more than 1 location, was in barely 6-8 feet of water which made it difficult to move around.

One thing to consider is that if you wear glasses for distance you may want to invest in a Rx snorkeling mask at a local dive shop or similar shop near your home or online. My wife did this and was finally able to enjoy the snorkeling trips. We always take our own masks and snorkels. Also remember to take lens cleaner and anti fog drops for your mask.