Thread: Technology Fear

Default Technology Fear

How do I manage to avoid my smartphone while at CN? Don't think I can stand to leave it at home, though!

Put it in Airplane mode and close it up in your room safe.

Afraid to leave the smart phone? Then take it. Do what YOU want (rather than what any of us tell you). It's your vacation, do as you like (as long as it's not saving chairs, smoking cigars too close to others, wearing a John Deere hat in the fancy restaurant... ).

Lock it in the safe and leave it there! At that point, I know the vacation has really started!
    Jan and Mark
    CN 2009
    CSA 2011
    CSA 2013
    CSS 2014

Turn it off and leave it in your room safe. Out of sight, out of mind. Depending on what type of service you have, you may not have any phone service anyway. Our plan is not international, so we didn't have phone service (we have iPhones) but we were able to send and receive text messages.

you do like I do! you turn it off and put it in the safe!!
    OR...you can do like others and put it on airplane mode and still use the camera feature.
    I prefer to avoid the temptation of turning it on and checking emails and leave it in the safe!!

Turn it off. Lock it in the safe. And remember that any minutes or texts used on the phone will cost a LOT more than using it in the states. We did this with our phones and Ipad. Took the Ipad with for the plane ride. As soon as we took off from Chicago, our phones turned off, and never turned back on until we landed in Chicago on the way back. Once our plane landed in MBJ, our Ipad turned off and we locked all of it in the safe. Except for one or 2 messages to give directions to people coming for our wedding, none of them ever got turned on.

78 days 19 hours 49 minutes!!!
    Is this Love that I'm feelin'?

CSS March 2013, April/May 2014
    CN April 2014

I put mine on airplane mode and left it that way until I got back in the states. CN has a wonderful internet cafe and there is always a computer available to check email or facebook etc.. at your own leisure anytime you want.

Put it in the safe

I actually left my phone at home this last October!!!! Hubs brought his though. it can be done!

Hey Bert, Looks like you've been reading ALL the posts... Addict!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Afraid to leave the smart phone? Then take it. Do what YOU want (rather than what any of us tell you). It's your vacation, do as you like (as long as it's not saving chairs, smoking cigars too close to others, wearing a John Deere hat in the fancy restaurant... ).

Let's make it a Pavlovian endeavor.

Everytime you think about using your smartphone you instead have to focus your undivided attention on your significant other for 15-30 minutes or some such thing like that. Within two or three thoughts of that phone and you will be broken of the habit.

I wanted to avoid any chance of receiving an unwanted call so I left mine in airplane mode all week. International rates are very high!

I enabled wifi and we texted our kids that were staying with relatives back home. We tried using FaceTime, but signal strength on one of the ends could not support it.

We Used our smart phone cameras and we sent a lot of pictures back to our kids so they could see that we were okay. They did the same as well.

At one point, my 12 year old told me to stop texting her. She said "we were on vacation so put the device away!"

Her txt assured us that they were ok so we followed her advice and enjoyed a couple days untethered to technology.

We locked them in the safe when we knew we wouldn't take pictures and we were glad we had them when we landed back in the states as our connecting flight was delayed.

Seriously????? I don't get the addiction. You'll be in paradise and you need to use your phone? Leave the phone number of the resort with your family. If (heaven forbid) something happens, they know where to find you.

I have TMobile so international data is free and voice is very resonable. I was able to get a Wifi signal most places at without an issue so I was able to be in touch with the office. I know some people think this ruins the vacation but personally I am better able to relax knowing what is going on back home. I will say the people in my office are very respectful of vacation time so they limit interaction and mostly its just getting copied on things they are handling without me.

Amy

Take with you when you go swimming. That should do it!