Default Lionfish Hunting

My wife and I (along with 2 other couples) are making our first trip to Jamaica and CSA on Feb 28! To say that we are excited is a drastic understatement!

I read a review on Tripadvisor that people were able to hunt Lionfish on one of their Scuba trips. Has anyone else heard of this or can point me the direction to get more information? I do not have my scuba certification but was able to spearfish in Cozumel and loved it!

Thanks in advance for your help!

did you happen to read my question on TripAdvisor about this in Cuba? hehehehe. Turns out my plans changed and I've decided to go to CSS in April and plan to dive as much as possible. If you find anything out, please post!

Marc

Ooooh! That sounds fun! My husband and I would love to spearfish. Did they provide the gear? I can't wait to see what replies you get on this - we are headed to CSS this Sunday - beyond excited!!

ronesack, Welcome to SweptAway! and one of the best dive teams you will ever meet. Anthony and his crew are great. They offer a Padi Invasive Lionfish Specialty Course and unless the dives are to crowded they will allow you to fish with an instructor. My wife and I have been going every year since 2008 and will be back in March. You can go to the Couples Swept Away FB site and ask a question and Anthony will respond. Join the site and the discussions. You will truly enjoy CSA the dive team. Tell them Scuba Steve Soon Come

When I was at CN in May, the divemaster hunted lionfish on a couple of the dives. My guess would be just let them know you want to when you sign up. I could be wrong, but I don't think they have specific lionfish hunting trips.

Marc&Sue... what a small world. I did read your posting on the forum about the lion fish for CL and we ended up booking Sol for the 16th of March (2nd time). The first time I saw a lion fish was at Enchenachos about 4 years ago and learned how destructive they are and will be to the Caribbean. We have been to both CN and CSS 3 times each and if this is your first time to a Couples resort, you will love it and hopefully become as passionate as we are and all the repeaters on this board. BTW, we live just west of Long Sault and if you have any questions about either resort I might be able to provide some insight. I am a certified diver but if I had a choice, golfing would come first. My better half loves the beach and bless her heart doesn't mind when I partake in these activities that she is not particularly fond of.

ron, Without your Cert. you will have to take the resort dive class and be able after that to do one shallow dive. On that dive, the instructors will probably want you to concentrate on your diving skills, and not be involved with hunting Lionfish. Any dives after that, you'll have to pay for, and what goes on on that dive I can't say. Another option would be to start your Cert. at home and finish at Swept Away, or, just get your Cert. at the resort. Keep in mind, the dive team is a PADI team and plays it by the book. They're that good. Another option might be to book a private dive off resort and see what that might bring. I can' wait to get wet!

There was a post on the Couples Swept Away Dive Club facebook account about having a lionfish contest. I think that that is a great idea, not only for CSA but for all of the Couples Resorts. This contest could run for 1 year and the most lionfish taken by divers at all of the resorts in any 3 day period would be in line for some type of award. I personally do not care about having an award, I love to shoot lionfish, having taken about 50 in the last 2 trips. This invasive species has to go, and if not controlled by divers, you will not see any other fish or anything that they eat on your dives. Besides, if you have never eaten lionfish, they are excellent fare, just try them at Feathers. I understand that CSA has a lionfish class and for safety reasons you should take that or something comparable in your specialty courses. As careful as I am, I got nicked by a part of a spine that was on my spear after the fish was already in my bag with the spines removed, thank God for good gloves. While at CSA I could only use a pole spear as they did allow spearguns for safety reasons. If you bring your own spear, a good breakdown that will assemble to 6' is the best. I saw numerous lionfish that a 2' to 4' spear would not get to in the back of the crevices and they were the larger ones also. Good Hunting

Thank you to everyone for your replies! Only 10 more days and hopefully we will be able to give this a shot.

BRAWD (or anyone else), do you know if CSA will provide gloves for this or should we look at bringing our own?

Default lion fish

Quote Originally Posted by ronesack View Post
    My wife and I (along with 2 other couples) are making our first trip to Jamaica and CSA on Feb 28! To say that we are excited is a drastic understatement!

I read a review on Tripadvisor that people were able to hunt Lionfish on one of their Scuba trips. Has anyone else heard of this or can point me the direction to get more information? I do not have my scuba certification but was able to spearfish in Cozumel and loved it!

Thanks in advance for your help!
    as far as I know the more gone the better every dive the master gets a fewbut could use more . The number has gone down a bit a few years ago they were all over less now but still too.manly