Default Warning about Jetski operators

Just a reminder to be careful around jet skis and their operators. A visitor was tragically killed by a jet ski in Negril

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...ead/lead1.html

I realize they have to make a living too. But, I think there should be better regulation around the resorts. I almost got hit by one once while swimming.

Thanks for posting the story from the Gleaner.

Life is good

the Jamaican maritime authority has placed a temporary ban on jet ski activity in the Negril, westmoorland area until the incident is investigated

Thank you for this post and link. What a sad, tragic accident. Having been at CSA this past July, we noticed how close the jet skis travel along the roped swimming area, and that there was more soliciting of swimmers by the jet ski operators than in past visits. It is also quite disturbing that an ambulance took so long in Negril.

Don't swim past the ropes and don't falls asleep by yourself at the ropes. That'll cut your risk down a lot. Jamaica isn't going to ban or pass laws to prevent it from happening so you need to protect yourself.

They were banned on last Friday until further notice from the accident last Tuesday. I tried to rent one from numerous vendors and was told only para sailing is being offered.

we really came to love Negril and the beaches but our last (3) trips have been to CSS and CTI and the jet ski guys are not there. They can become so annoying buzzing around all day and "psstt, hey buddy" over and over all week.

Default Jet Skis

Quote Originally Posted by ice_blue48 View Post
    They were banned on last Friday until further notice from the accident last Tuesday. I tried to rent one from numerous vendors and was told only para sailing is being offered.
    The article said that the only thing that the government was doing in response to the accident was "announcing a six-month suspension on the importation of all jet skis for commercial use". So it appears that it is still legal to operate jet skis in the Negril area so be careful.

We were at CSA when that jet ski accident occurred. (1/25-2/1). It was further down the beach towards Margarittaville, not too close to CSA. However, I was pleased to see that they added a second buoy line in front of CSA giving a second barrier to protect swimmers. If you venture out passed that, then you are taking on the responsibility for your safety. Also, there were not many jet skis around CSA. We saw one operator in the water, but he didn't hang around. It seemed like Elvis was drumming up business on the beach, and one other person asked us. We said no and he was fine with that.

On the day it happened, I did notice further down the beach there were 4 people on jet skis, going fast and way out into the ocean. They seemed to be "hot-dogging" somewhat. They never came near CSA. I don't know for sure if they were the ones who ran over the man, but the resort it happened at was in that direction.

Very sad, but CSA is taking more precautions with our safety......the 2 buoy lines are great !

Wonder if they have tests to see if the driver was "high" ? Most of them appear to be.
    Captain Jim
    "I will grow old....
    But I won't grow up"

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
    Wonder if they have tests to see if the driver was "high" ? Most of them appear to be.
    Could have just as easily been drunk, probably even more likely.
    See you at the beach!
    dirtleg & sandyfoot

You said there are 2 buoy lines? When we were at CSA in December, there were 2 buoy lines. Are you saying there is a third now or just the two?

Ge, can you elaborate a bit more about the second buoy line. Is it on the three sides or just the deep line?

Was there this past December - there are 2 bouy lines. The first one is nearer to the shore and then another one that extends out about another 20 feet further into the water.

Quote Originally Posted by laharlson View Post
    You said there are 2 buoy lines? When we were at CSA in December, there were 2 buoy lines. Are you saying there is a third now or just the two?
    We were there also in December, I would float out to first buoy line and hold on to the rope. Beyond that first rope was a second rope. I didn't see three ropes. But I can tell you there were many jet skiers there zooming by asking folks if they want to rent or if they want weed....I would hear or see them coming and I would paddle away from the rope...The Jets would ride along the 2nd rope...there was a few people swimming between the first and second ropes when we were there.

I wonder if this was a case where the guy was diving or swimming under water and jet ski came by at the time he came up under water? When we walked down towards Margaritaville, we noticed various motels had ropes in front of their places. I wonder if this man was swimming outside of the rope? If so, you are taking a chance doing so. Stay within the ropes folks.

Prayers for the family- I do think they need designated spots for rental and for riding. Speed needs to enforced near the beaches. But tourists need to be aware of their surroundings at all times and stay within the swimming ropes.

Sorry for the confusion........ it is just on the deep line. If you read BobandJudy recent post about just returning, she explains it better.
    Quote Originally Posted by BarDar View Post
    Ge, can you elaborate a bit more about the second buoy line. Is it on the three sides or just the deep line?