Thread: Rum Cream Brand

Default Rum Cream Brand

Hey, all:

My wife and I hit the beaches at CSS in just four short days. Last time when we were there we got a few bottles of rum cream to take back to the States with us. Brilliant move. However, we kind of froze trying to figure out which is the best brand while we were at the airport.

I know they sell some at the resort, and they sell a lot more at the airport, but I thought I would toss the questions to the storied and sagacious message board:

Which brand of rum cream is your favorite?
    Which would YOU buy?
    Which brand(s) would you stay away from?

Thanks for any insight!
    I'm just here for the food... and the beach... and the drinks... and the entertainment... oh, yeah, and the suite... well, okay, and the sunshine... oh, and the staff, can't forget them.. Ah, heck, I'm here for it all.

Default Rum Cream

Well, I usually stock up myself since it's the best thing since sliced bread.

I like the Land's End Rum Cream because it has a variety of flavors, Banana and Coconut are my favorite.

Sangster's also has a line of them but offer less variety. Both are great though. Yum.

I really like Sangsters rum cream. At CN they have Lillifields rum cream. For some reason I liked the Lillifields better. I would go with either one. The price difference between the two was that Sangsters was $1 more per bottle. I will purchase Lillifields on our next trip - however - you can't go wrong with Sangsters!!!

Rum Cream you say, well I personally do not care for the Land's End products. We came home with the two mentioned above and the Blue Mountain Coffee flavor. Because you can only bring back so much, I am going to skip the flavored models and go with the Lilifields and Sangsters. I agree Cands, I like the Lilifields better than the Sangsters. Every day multiple times I would here, "Ya Mon What Chu Need" and my reply would always be the same "A Lillifields with a Sangsters floater" top notch. My wife and I came back with 9 bottles of Rum Cream 18 months ago, and have 1 left, thank God it's...59 Days 'til Rum Cream all I want.

Sangsters original, please. I've had Lillifields as well, but like Sangsters better.

We just brought home the Worlds End rum cream. The Blue Mountain Coffee is my favorite. We were told that the Worlds End would be bottled under the Sangsters name in the future. We were also told that it would be in 750ml botles and not the 1 liter bottles, and some stores had already made the change. We were able to find the 1 liters at one the of the duty free stores, so look around if you have the time to get the bigger bottles. Have a good trip.

I thought they had sangsters at CSA? I will have to look next time. I came home with 4 bottles of sangsters last year, and I have 1 left on the shelf.

Wow, thanks for all the insight.

Seems like I can't go wrong with either Sangsters or Lillifield. I'll try to sample both before we stock up. What's the limit you can take back on the plane?

Cactus: 9 bottles seems like a lot, how did you get it all home?

Looking forward to being back at CSS in 48 hours.
    I'm just here for the food... and the beach... and the drinks... and the entertainment... oh, yeah, and the suite... well, okay, and the sunshine... oh, and the staff, can't forget them.. Ah, heck, I'm here for it all.

The customs agent in Mpls. asked if we had anything to declare we said 9 bottles of Rum Cream, he got this look on his face. Well he sort of had that look on his face, he looked like Hochstetter of the Gestapo on Hogans Heroes. He said but it's Rum Cream right? We said yes, my wife threw in that it was low octane and 750ml bottles, he just shook his head and stamped out passport and said "Get out of here." I think the tariff would have been about $8 and I don't think he wanted to deal with it. Now in 57 days we will again be at CSA, this time we need to transfer in Memphis, I'm not sure haw that's going to work yet, my goal is at least a case. I will most likely be asking for some help from this board as to what's the best way to go about it...Like I said 57 days 'til Rum Cream all I want...

As far as U.S. Customs is concerned, Rum Cream falls under the same rules as wine for duty tax due to it having less than 20% alcohol. IIRC, Sangsters is 17%.

Additionally, the paragraph below has some info from US Customs website www.cbp.gov

"Alcoholic Beverages
    In addition to U.S. laws, the laws of the state in which you first arrive in the United States will govern the amount of alcohol you may bring with you, and whether you need a license. If you plan to bring alcoholic beverages with you, before you depart, you should contact the state’s applicable alcoholic beverage control board to determine what you need to do to comply with that state’s laws and regulations."

Well, we are back from our ten day trip to CSS. What a great time we had! Our friends here, TexansLoveCSS, AxtellA and River had a great time sampling several different brands of rum cream, as we kept drinking the beach bar out of it. We had Sangsters, Lillifield and J. Wray and Newphew. Then at the airport, I had a chance to do a side-by-side test of Sangsters, Lillifield, Old World, and something else.

Anyways, in the end, the Sangster's won hands down. There's a slight cinnamon flavor to it, which my wife and I just loved. We got one bottle of the coconut rum cream, which we thought could be great for blending into a BBC.

So, what's everyone's favorite way to drink it? I prefer original on the rocks.

I drink it on the rocks. Great after dinner drink.

What is the shelf life of the rum cream? We brought back a bottle in 2005 and have not opened it yet.
    Kevin & Tammy
    CN 2005
    CSS 2010
    CSS 2014

While on the topic, sorta; I understand that the best deal is AT the airport; How do you take it onto the plane? Is it boxed up as luggage? Carry on?

We have both the Land's End and the Sangster's. We've tried to recreate the dirty bananas with them. I like to drink it on the rocks with a little cream de cacao, i love to drink it in tea and hot chocolate. It's great in milkshakes, etc. As long as it's not opened it should still be good. We have a couple of bottles, not as old as 2005, maybe 2006 or 2007 and we haven't opened those yet. We usually bring back about 6 or 7 bottles of rum creme and about 3 or 4 bottles of the Appleton Estate's Reserve and we haven't had any problems with bringing them in the States.

Sangsters is the best IMO.You can bring back as much as you want because of the alcohol content.I would buy it by the 50 gallon drum if I could!I ran out long ago and have had to buy Cruzan rum cream.It is not as good but it will have to do for now until we get back to CSA.

A few things:
    We have 1 bottle of Lillifield that we bought at the airport in 2007. We opened it around January of this year and are still drinking it (it's fine).

We purchased a few bottle of Sangster's rum cream at the airport for $13.00, which is the best deal we found. They try to sell it to you on the Ocho Rios shopping trip for as much as $25, and I didn't even see it at the resort. Once you buy it at the airport, you can then take it on the plane from MBJ to the first airport you reach in the United States. Once there, and through customs, you are required to pack it in your luggage for your final leg(s) to your final destination, because you can't bring liquid on board the aircraft cabin.

It's really not that big of a deal and very, very small price to pay for such wonderful beverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Stath View Post
    A few things:
    We have 1 bottle of Lillifield that we bought at the airport in 2007. We opened it around January of this year and are still drinking it (it's fine).

We purchased a few bottle of Sangster's rum cream at the airport for $13.00, which is the best deal we found. They try to sell it to you on the Ocho Rios shopping trip for as much as $25, and I didn't even see it at the resort. Once you buy it at the airport, you can then take it on the plane from MBJ to the first airport you reach in the United States. Once there, and through customs, you are required to pack it in your luggage for your final leg(s) to your final destination, because you can't bring liquid on board the aircraft cabin.

It's really not that big of a deal and very, very small price to pay for such wonderful beverage.
    .....Was wondering how the handling of the "Liquids on board the Aircraft" would work. Thankyou.

Quote Originally Posted by acranger View Post
    .....Was wondering how the handling of the "Liquids on board the Aircraft" would work. Thankyou.
    No sweat. It's kind of funny, we flew into Miami, and there were a bunch of people all lined up near the baggage collection before customs opening their luggage to put their duty free liquor in their suitcases. You'd think they'd try to set up a little area to do that in.

We pack some bubble wrap in our carryon. Then when we get our luggage, we wrap the bottles in it and stuff them in the midle of the dirty clothes. No problems yet with breakage.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    We pack some bubble wrap in our carryon. Then when we get our luggage, we wrap the bottles in it and stuff them in the midle of the dirty clothes. No problems yet with breakage.
    .....Good idea!

I guess my question is "Has anyone been able to bring back, say a case of Rum Cream, and if so what is the best way?" 38 days 'til Rum Cream All I Want, then this scenario becomes reality...