Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Need some help from someone who is visiting Sunset Beach soon

Hi, we are returning again this year to CSS mid April. Last year we became good friends with the bartender Veronique at Sunset Beach. We have lost her contact info and my wife wants to bring some small gifts for her children. Could someone find out for us what sex and ages her kids are and what size shirts they wear.

Thanks, Dave and Terri
    CSS 4/19-26

Veronique is an amazing person and definitely one of the best bartenders at CSS. She will be grateful and will appreciate any gift that you bring her for her children. She has a 17 year old boy, very athletic (size 9 shoe, size 18 jeans, medium tshirt), 14 year old girl (size 9 shoe, size 3 skinny jeans, medium tshirt) and 9 year old boy (size 6 shoe, jeans 14 big boys, boys large tshirt). Also, a tablet would be great!

Sun n Sand thank you for getting this info for us

Dave & Terri, We were there through 3-5 and Veronique is now at the main beach bar. Jehneal is back bartending at SSB. So look for Veronique at the main bar. Say hi to her from Jerry & Diane from Wisconsin if you could! While you're there ask Easton for a Chocolate Cake drink. It's awesome!
    CSS 2010
    CSS 2013
    CSS 2014

Darn...I'll miss Veronique.

I'm sure Jehneal is nice. All Couples staff are nice.

I'm sorry, but I find this type of discussion a little disturbing. Couples has a strict no-tipping policy, and this just seems like a way to circumvent that policy. There is a difference between leaving little gifts to show your appreciation and buying several items of clothing and electronics for employees. This is a slippery slope to introduce on the message board, and it can give the wrong impression to other guests about acceptable "gifting".

This is disturbing?? You do indeed need a vacation...

Nautical4life, Jheneal is great. She was the bartender the first 3 years we were at SSB, and when they put her at a different bar we really missed her. We would check out the other bars just to see her, and I have her as a friend on facebook to keep in touch with her. To us Veronica was OK, and we enjoyed her, but she was not Jheanel. It is who you get use to I guess.
    Linda

Really? Disturbing?! Then don't read it!
    People give gifts to staff all the time, and it is perfectly acceptable. Just no cash.

So it's okay to buy certain employees tablets worth hundreds of dollars, but you better not slip them a $20 because then they can get fired? That is a rather confusing policy, isn't it? What's the reason that Couples has a no-tipping policy in the first place? Partly to prevent individual employees from receiving preferential treatment from guests, and to prevent individual guests from receiving preferential treatment from employees. Couples is about all guests and all employees being treated equal...no wristbands and no tipping. So when you start commenting on this message board about specific employees and how you want to lavish her with expense "gifts", you are sending the wrong message to the other guests and the other employees about what Couples is about, even if done unintentionally. What you do in private is your own business, but all I'm saying is that the message board is probably not the best place to discuss it.

Quote Originally Posted by nautical4life View Post
    this is disturbing?? You do indeed need a vacation...

Yes I do!

Chocolate cake drink? Yuuuuum! What's in it?

Can't speak for the drink at CSS because we have never been - yet! However just got a new app for my phone which has a few "cake" drinks I am wanting to try. Send me an email and I can let you know

~Julie and Bob~

Disturbing???? What is disturbing to me is people who write in colors you can't read without highlighting it!

What's disturbing to me is people who might not yet know that you can change your background color by picking a different style on the bottom left corner of this page.

Can we assume that if Couples thought this was inappropriate, it would not get posted?

Default Your Gift may not be a gift

Quote Originally Posted by jamaican_junkie View Post
    I'm sorry, but I find this type of discussion a little disturbing. Couples has a strict no-tipping policy, and this just seems like a way to circumvent that policy. There is a difference between leaving little gifts to show your appreciation and buying several items of clothing and electronics for employees. This is a slippery slope to introduce on the message board, and it can give the wrong impression to other guests about acceptable "gifting".
    Management is not real happy about any gifting to employees, because the practice could easily unbalance service for the "givers" and "non givers", even though that might not be the intent of the gift. One reason employees are shifted from location to location. They can even get in serious trouble if management suspects that the gift might actually be a theft. We have seen people at another resort fired on the spot, for violating this rule. Guest security is a prime concern for all hotels, Couples is not the exception.

Quote Originally Posted by summer swimmer View Post
    Management is not real happy about any gifting to employees, because the practice could easily unbalance service for the "givers" and "non givers", even though that might not be the intent of the gift. One reason employees are shifted from location to location. They can even get in serious trouble if management suspects that the gift might actually be a theft. We have seen people at another resort fired on the spot, for violating this rule. Guest security is a prime concern for all hotels, Couples is not the exception.
    Yes, for their own protection, the employees need written statements from the guests that the items are gifts. Even for small items. I have seen a guest try to hand a stuffed animal to a member of the wait staff at Heliconia, and the employee would not accept it until a statement was included.

Quote Originally Posted by summer swimmer View Post
    How do you know one way or the other??? We always bring school supplies. Management don't think it's a theft because you have to give them a letter stating where it came from. Sound like you don't know. That you are just making a statement from your feelings about the topic.

Both Veronique and Jehneal are totally lovely people, hence them being at the bar at SSB. They provide excellent service and always with a smile. However, Jamaican junkie is right, since there is a strict 'no-tipping' policy then the idea of passing over a tablet (!!!!) to a member of staff really misses the point that the other lovely staff behind the scenes (the ones that get the food and drink to SSB, the ones that patrol the area for our safety, the ones that keep the beach clean so we don't have to see mess and litter) are completely forgotten (because they are not seen regularly and don't give us our drinks or exchange pleasantries with us). I am not suggesting that we can't recognise the staff in a small way but to suggest a tablet seems way too far, given the rules about tipping (common sense rules, in my opinion).

Quote Originally Posted by jamaican_junkie View Post
    I gotta agree with ya this time
    Ere De Fun Don Done
    Grand Lido Sans Souci Feb. 2002, Couples Negril Feb. 2010,
    Couples Negril,Feb. 2011, Couples Negril Jan. 2012,
    Cool Runnings eh!

Quote Originally Posted by Murtle View Post
    Both Veronique and Jehneal are totally lovely people, hence them being at the bar at SSB. They provide excellent service and always with a smile. However, Jamaican junkie is right, since there is a strict 'no-tipping' policy then the idea of passing over a tablet (!!!!) to a member of staff really misses the point that the other lovely staff behind the scenes (the ones that get the food and drink to SSB, the ones that patrol the area for our safety, the ones that keep the beach clean so we don't have to see mess and litter) are completely forgotten (because they are not seen regularly and don't give us our drinks or exchange pleasantries with us). I am not suggesting that we can't recognise the staff in a small way but to suggest a tablet seems way too far, given the rules about tipping (common sense rules, in my opinion).
    Well said. That would akin to cruise lines. Many updated tipping policies now have the tips as a separate fee in your fare for that very reason. The workers you never see, get shortchanged. Honestly it's no secret (but sad to say) they are working for little money anyway so they do appreciate the shared tips. I agree, a tablet is a but much. Thats a gift not a tip. Gosh I would get you drinks all week on MY vacation for a tablet!! LOL

Did anyone think about maybe some people like to stay in touch with the people they met at the resort. A used tablet or laptop sitting in a closest at home is pretty much worthless to us here in the states but for someone in Jamaica they would have to save money for years to buy one. 1 phone call would cost more then a used tablet is worth. I gave a old laptop to a security guard I met. She had been saving for years to buy one for school work. I hadn't touched that one in years.
    It's not a tip. It's a helping hand and the right thing to do.
    Last edited by lotsastuff4u; April 6th, 2014 at 07:52 AM.

Lottsastuff4u - thank you. Although I did mean the tablet as a joke, you are right. We all have used computers, tablets and cell phones which are of no value to us and essentially left in a closet or disposed of. What better than to give it to someone who could use it and enjoy it rather than it going to a landfill site??? Could it be considered a tip - well I guess that's up to Couples to make a policy. I've seen guests give old bb's to staff. And as others have said, the staff get moved around, so you may not even be served by this person again! In the big scheme of things, does it really matter....... Can we not all try to be happy? And it a thread on the message board disturbs you - stop reading it!

There is nothing wrong with giving gifts to friends no matter what it is. However other people seeing these exchanges might get the wrong idea. Why not send the gifts to their home or PO boxes a few days before you arrive, or when you get home this way the gift won't cause any conflicts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast