Default Hurricane Season?

We are trying to pick dates for 2014 trip to CSA. I looked up the dates for the hurricane season for 2014, it says June through November. Has anyone gone in October and had experiences with cancelations, delays and the weather? Last year we went in early November other then the regular afternoon showers it was beautiful. Trying to pick a date ASAP so we an do the Love Away Plan.

Also, has anyone done the military discount they just started offering? I can't seem to get it to come up when booking. It says not until you confirm 45 days out. Dies that mean that's when it is applied?

Thank you.

Ya Mon
    CSA 2012, 2013

I've been to CSA in October for more than a dozen years. Last year was perfect weather, however in the 2 years prior to that we had to deal with a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico that screwed up the beach for most of our nine-day stay and the year after that we were hit with Hurricane Sandy. We went last October, just to be at the Anniversary party. That was our last October. We've switched to the first week of December for 2014 to avoid any more weird weather. The rate was either the same or slightly less.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

Military Discount cannot be combined with any other discount, so no resort credit if you opt for that (sucky I know, because I was jazzed to see that option too!!) Also, having lived in FL for 12 years, I will tell you that Hurricane season is at it's peak from August-October. The pessimist in me would not do caribbean travel during that time, although thousands of people do! Happy planning!

I was there in October 2012. Despite Hurricane Sandy the weather was fantastic. Had the everyday rain but rain when on a tropical doesnt bother me

We were at CN in Oct 2013 when hurricane Sandy hit Negril. Obviously Negril was not impacted to the severity of other parts of the island. The water was very rough and water sports closed for three or four days. We still enjoyed ourselves as the rain and wind lasted about 24 hours.
    CN, Oct 2012, CN May 2013, CN Dec 2013, Booked CN Dec 2014 2015,

You can never count on or predict the weather. Especially months ahead of time. We went to CSS in October nine years ago to check it out for our wedding. (We did get married there in April) The weather was fine until the fifth day when a hurricane did go through the Caribbean south of us that hit Mexico but brought lots of rain. There were no high winds but it did rain. Still, we had four other really nice days. Remember that a rainy day in Jamaica is always better than a sunny day at work!

What about Early September? We are going to Couples for our first time and will be there for our Honeymoon the first week of September. Any experience?

Quote Originally Posted by SWJones View Post
    We are trying to pick dates for 2014 trip to CSA. I looked up the dates for the hurricane season for 2014, it says June through November. Has anyone gone in October and had experiences with cancelations, delays and the weather? Last year we went in early November other then the regular afternoon showers it was beautiful. Trying to pick a date ASAP so we an do the Love Away Plan.

Also, has anyone done the military discount they just started offering? I can't seem to get it to come up when booking. It says not until you confirm 45 days out. Dies that mean that's when it is applied?

Thank you.
    We just booked with the military discount. You have to call to get the discount, and you will get the discount at the time of booking. We'll be there in November, so I'm hoping that since it's at the end of the season there won't be any weather problems. Fingers crossed!

We went in 07, 08 and 09 in late August/first week September to take advantage of the discounted rates. I think it was 07 that a hurrican rolled through as we were supposed to be leaving. The three day cone was in effect and we were able to rebook for the following week and added a day to our trip no cost to us and did not have to use the trip insurance. Sweet deal.......but you never know.

Again, June through November is hurricane season. It rains. Pretty much daily. For fifteen minutes to an hour. You cannot predict weather. At the beginning of each season, the brilliant meteorologists predict the number of named storms, severity, etc. rarely are they ever right.

It's a risk you take if you want to go when the rates are low. There may be a hurricane. Unfortunately if there IS one, you're stuck on an island. With Hurricane Sandy we weren't hit as badly on the Negril side as they were on the Ochi side of the island, but you are still STUCK there as the airport closes. They removed the beach furniture two days early to prep, and put all pool furniture in the pool, so there was no laying out in the sun before the storm hit.

We live in Soith Florida, so we live with this annually. I will gladly take the risk of one hurricane every 20 years over snow every winter!!

You really cannot predict what is going to happen. We lost 2 days to Hurricane Sandy 2 years ago. Last year we had rain in the afternoons usually around 1:30 or so and ending around 4 or so. Glad it did because the heat index was in the 102-106 range. My wife and I just figure that is God's way of saying to get out of the sun you have had enough. Either way, we enjoyed the heck out of our vacation. Will be there in 1 day and 23 hours and if it rains, I may not even leave the beach, it has to be better then the 50+ inches of snow we have had. All is Good Mon!

We stayed at Couples Swept Away for our Honeymoon in September 2012. Every single day was sunshine, sunshine, sunshine....sometimes (although rarely) accompanied by a 4pm shower that lasted for about 20 minutes. 98% of our travels are during hurricane season and we love the great prices and more often than not, have the best weather ever!!!!!!

Laura

we have been many times from September - November. Been very lucky so far but we go different weeks, just whenever we can get away.

You can google "yearatlantichurricanes" and wiki will tell you their names, when they hit and where they hit. As you will see it is very random but they always get storms either over Jamaica or very near.

Last year we went the last week of September to CTI and did not have (1) drop of rain the entire 7 days, beautiful. We went to CSS once in late November and it was a little rainy the whole week and our last full day was a total washout.

Weather is so unpredictable