Default Several Q's - CSA, CSS, Repeaters, Dunns River, etc

Hello everyone!

I have tried to wait until I have a few questions to ask until I post on here. We have been to CN 3 times but have decided this coming December to do a split trip between CSS and CSA. I am excited, but nervous, so I'm hoping you all can help ease my mind. We do love CN but felt like we needed to try something different this time (and hope we don't regret our decision!)

1. What day is the trip to Dunn's River Falls from CSS?

2. What should we take or wear to Dunn's River Falls? I haven't decided if I want to try actually climbing the falls or if I just want to climb the stairs beside it, but I want to be prepared for either. I'm thinking... water shoes, swimsuit, something over the suit... camera.. what am I missing?

3. This one is kind of tricky... we will be arriving at each resort on the day of the repeater dinner. Has anyone arrived at the resort on the same day as the repeater dinner and had any problems attending? I know we can't reserve in advance, but I am hoping to hear "we went and it was no problem"!

4. I blame myself for this one.. I didn't really read the description of the room when I booked for CSA and we have a Garden Suite. I have a feeling since we will be there around Christmas the resort may be at capacity, so I am not counting on an upgrade (and according to reservations on the website, no other rooms are available). I am a little... apprehensive.. I guess is the word, about not having a TV in the room. I know that is silly, but can someone reassure me that I will survive without a TV in the room (and someone who was a little bummed to learn there was no TV but learned to deal..). Also, I am a little confused -- is it the Garden Suites that people are talking about when they say their view is of a different property? I am scared that we are going to get there and have the shoddy-est room in the resort and I will kick myself over and over again for not reading properly. (I know room REALLY doesn't matter but yeah, it kind of does.......)

I appreciate the feedback/comments in advance!
    Thanks -
    Melea

Hi Melea. First, relax. You're going to LOVE CSS and CSA both.

1. Dunn's River goes every day.

2. You're correct on what to wear. Watershoes, bathing suit, shorts that can get wet.

3. We arrived at CSS on the day of the repeater's dinner at 6:30 pm. When we checked in, we told them that we would like to try to attend. We ran up to the room, changed really fast, and when we arrived, they had just finished the soup. They said "You must be the Van Dykes. We've been waiting for you." We sat down and finished our meal. No problem, mon.

4. The garden suites at CSA are lovely. We haven't stayed in one, but have walked past many many times. The only issue that some find is road noise, but even walking by, I don't think it's that bad, and there is much less traffic at night. We specifically book the rooms without the TV, so I can't really comment on the lack of one, but I can tell you this: we DO find much better things to do in our room in the afternoon than watch TV. LOL. and if DH needs a sports fix, we go over to the Fitness Center and he gets a fix for a half an hour or so while I chat with the bartender or swim.

I'm not sure how you booked your room, but if you are THAT concerned, contact Couples and see if you can pay for an upgrade now. Even if your Travel Agent won't do it, you may be able to do it through Couples directly.

Have a great time!~
    Vee

Looks like Vee has your answers covered, but I'd like to add one other piece of advice for Dunn's River Falls. Try to go on a day when there are no cruise ships in port at Ocho Rios. It will be much less crowded. The following link will let you know which ships are scheduled to be there when as well as the number of passengers, maximum, per ship. Enjoy!

http://www.cruisett.com/ports.php?PortID=480&date=16
    Happy & Safe Travels!

=

Quote Originally Posted by Melea View Post
    4. I blame myself for this one.. I didn't really read the description of the room when I booked for CSA and we have a Garden Suite. I have a feeling since we will be there around Christmas the resort may be at capacity, so I am not counting on an upgrade (and according to reservations on the website, no other rooms are available). I am a little... apprehensive.. I guess is the word, about not having a TV in the room. I know that is silly, but can someone reassure me that I will survive without a TV in the room (and someone who was a little bummed to learn there was no TV but learned to deal..). Also, I am a little confused -- is it the Garden Suites that people are talking about when they say their view is of a different property? I am scared that we are going to get there and have the shoddy-est room in the resort and I will kick myself over and over again for not reading properly. (I know room REALLY doesn't matter but yeah, it kind of does.......)

I appreciate the feedback/comments in advance!
    Thanks -
    Melea
    measure twice saw once ..... i doubt you will miss tv it is only a week and i think "Jerry" is in syndication so you can always catch up when you get back enjoy

Thanks everyone for your feedback and answers to my questions!

Thank you for posting the cruise ship schedule! I had read that once before on the old message board was going to search for it again (I think I remember it as being Sundays) but you did the work for me. Thanks!!

I booked directly through Couples and it is my understanding no other rooms are available during the time we will be there. Oh well, we will learn to live without a TV for a few days! I know it won't kill us!

Also with Dunn's River, if the cruise schedule changes, the concierge will have up-to-date information. When you go, if you want to avoid being inundated by the vendors, try to "sneak" out the entrance instead of going through the craft village to the actul exit.

We made it out the entrace and only reluctantly bought some stupid seed necklace for a dollar because it was easier than trying to shake the guy. (Side note: if you bring a few dollars for a drink or other extras, don't put it in the pocket of shorts that turn transparent when wet, as that will negate yout ability to use the I-have-no-cash-on-me defense.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mestralle View Post
    Also with Dunn's River, if the cruise schedule changes, the concierge will have up-to-date information. When you go, if you want to avoid being inundated by the vendors, try to "sneak" out the entrance instead of going through the craft village to the actual exit.

We made it out the entrance and only reluctantly bought some stupid seed necklace for a dollar because it was easier than trying to shake the guy. (Side note: if you bring a few dollars for a drink or other extras, don't put it in the pocket of shorts that turn transparent when wet, as that will negate your ability to use the I-have-no-cash-on-me defense.)
    Sorry! But this made me laugh!!
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

We always bring a portable DVD player with us on vacation, it's great on the plane and also to watch movies on in the room.

The first time we went to Swept Away I wondered about no TV for the week, but in those days there was no choice, the new section didn't exist. After our first experience, we intentionally book an Atrium room. We look forward to the lack of TV, it adds another layer of being away from the world.

Melea,

Just a note to tell you after two trips to CN, and touring CSA we are going on our 2nd trip to CSS next April.

Expect different, they are all suppose to be different, it is what makes each one special, but wonderful. Expect stairs, expect the beach not to compare to Negril, but be private and wonderful in it's own right.

CSS to us is as romantic as it gets, we still love CN and our next trip to JA will be to return there, but CSS is going to captivate you! You will love the grounds, the room service, the spa huts just for starters! You will also enjoy the seeing the other side of the island.

We also toured CSA our last trip to CN. So in short no worries!!! Have a wonderful trip!

Marie

Thank you, Marie, for taking the time to send those details! I appreciate it! We are definitely looking forward to something different (not that there is ANYTHING wrong with CN!!) I have read so much about those stairs but I'm trying not to psych myself out about it. I suppose I should go easy on the rum punch just to make sure I don't roll off the side of the cliff, huh?

I laughed about the money in the shorts, too... ha!

Also, good idea about the portable DVD player. I hadn't even thought of that. See, I knew I was coming to the right folks to ask! Thank you everyone!!