Thread: Music

Default Music

What are some songs or artists that everyone listens to to tide you over between your visits
    to Jamaica? Looking for some to add to our music list.

Ya Mon
    CSA 2012, 2013

Bob Marley, of course. Some of his old stuff he did with Lee "Scratch" Perry is pretty interesting.

When we put reggae or Marley on Pandora, there are a few artists who always catch my ear. Ziggy Marley...or pretty much any Marley. There is a guy named Matisyahu who I really enjoy - sort of a raggae/rap thing going on (he has an interesting life story...not what you might expect...look him up on wikipedia). Another one that surprises me that I like (I didn't want to because I had an impression that he is just pop ear candy) is Jason Mraz. Whenever his songs come up on Pandora, I have to admit that the are very pleasant.

Off the top of my head (aside from the obvious Bob Marley) and in no particular order:

Bob Marley & the Wailers
    Black Uhuru
    Bounty Killer
    Damian Marley
    Queen Ifrica
    Luciano
    Ziggy Marley
    Stephen Marley
    Mr. Vegas
    Black Thought
    Marcia Griffiths
    Jimmy Cliff
    The Slickers
    Steel Pulse
    Perter Tosh
    Desmond Dekker
    Shaggy
    The Maytals
    Eek-A-Mouse
    UB40
    Happy & Safe Travels!

=

And here is a TA thread that might add some too.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...t-Jamaica.html
    Happy & Safe Travels!

=

Oh wow.... where to begin....

If Bob was the "King of Reggae", the recently departed Gregory Isaacs was its "Ruler", and Dennis Emanuel Brown was its "Prince". Also not to be missed are two of the three I-Threes, Madames Judy Mowatt and Marcia Griffiths. I'd also be remiss if I neglected to mention "Di Captain of di Big Ship", Freddie McGregor, and "The Voice", Tarrus Riley.

Also on my I-Pod -
    Alpha Blondy
    Beres Hammond (note - members of "Exodus", house band at SweptAway, tour with Beres on a regular basis)
    Black Uhuru
    Buju Banton
    Burning Spear
    Desmond Dekker (late and great) and the Aces
    I Wayne
    Inner Circle
    Jah Messengers (who at one time held the Saturday Night stage show at SweptAway)
    Jimmy Cliff
    Peter Tosh (whose memorial is very accessible from Negril)
    Rasta Ralphie (yes... he does have a couple of self-produced CD's worth having for folk posterity)
    Steel Pulse
    Stephen Marley
    Third World
    Toots and the Maytalls
    Unity - The Band (a local reggae rig, look 'em up, they have some GREAT beach sounds)
    Yellowman (along with the Paragons)
    Ziggy Marley

Honorable mention - the various incarnations of the Playing For Change Band. Again, VERY worthwhile looking up for socially conscious world music.

Along with the reggae playlists you can generate on Pandora and now I-Tunes Radio, I'd recommend a couple of podcasts that I listen to a LOT. Big Mikey Dread has his BigMikeyDreadReggaeRadio podcast, and Ian Calder has his HouseOfReggae cast; these gents both generate their podcasts in the south of England and are VERY knowledgeable about their subject matter. They're also great fun to listen to, particularly when they do their joint podcasts. Another podcast from Castleton State College in Vermont is D-RO's JahWorksRadio, which tends to be more social and spiritual, but still very much worth a listen.

Enjoy....
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Besides the ones already mentioned... I'd add Michael Franti and Spearhead to your list. I found Franti listening to Bob Marley radio on Pandora.