Default Jamaican Musher - Newton Marshall

As my wife and I prepare to travel down to wonderful Jamaica from Alaska for a warm, relaxing adventure, there is a Jamaican that is up here in Alaska about to embark on an adventure of his own. Newton Marshall, from Ocho Rios is participating in his 4th running of the Iditarod. For those of you that may not be aware of what the Iditarod is, its coined as the last great race, and is a dog sled race that travels 1049 miles through the Alaskan wilderness from Willow, AK to Nome, AK. The Jamiacan bobsledders get a lot of publicity through the olympics, however, they are not the only athletes competing in harsh, cold, winter conditions. Newton Marshall could face extreme conditions that would make most winter olympians run for the hills. Teams frequently race through blizzards causing whiteout conditions, sub-zero temperatures and gale-force winds which can cause the wind chill to reach −100 F (−73 C). If you would like to read a little more about the race and Newton Marshall you can go to, http://iditarod.com/race/mushers/336-Newton-Marshall/. We will for sure be down at the starting line cheering him on has he begins this journey, but he will probably still be out on the trail as our flight takes off for Jamaica. Good Luck Newton Marshall!

Name:  slideshow_1002095942_SPORTS_OTD-IDITAROD_6_AC.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  77.8 KB

AMAZING! I would question the last great race title as I would call it the greatest challenge in the world! I wish him a great race and more importantly a SAFE one!!

Thats very cool.. Love the picture..We are heading to CN March 9 Have a great vacation.

Alaska to Jamaica...you guys have a good trip.....how long does it take?

We fly from Anchorage to Seattle to Fort Lauderdale which is about 9 hours of flying not including layovers. Then we are staying overnight at Fort Lauderdale and flying to Jamaica the next morning. That way we aren't completely exhausted on our first day there.