Hybrid View

Default Blue Hole from CSS

Anyone have any experience going to the Blue Hole from CSS? Cost of cab ride? How do we arrange a ca? Through the tour desk? Has anyone gone and was it worth going? Reviews of trip advisor all sound great and are rated 5 out of 5. Thanks in advance.

We just got back from CTI and went one morning. I'm sure the cost would be similar from CSS. We got the name and number of our taxi driver from fellow guests, but all the doormen/bellboys knew him (Tony). You could ask them for a recommendation, or the ladies you make your dinner reservations through. I called his cell from our hotel phone (was charged about $0.65 on my hotel bill). Told him we wanted to go to the Blue Hole the next morning at 9. No problem mon! We discussed his rate, $20 per person round trip (he had charged the other guests $30). He needs your room number to get onto the property. Tell the bellman that morning that you're expecting a cab. We didn't and he was there early, waiting for us! It's about a 20 minute drive up into the hills. You go up a bumpy country road and emerge at this little piece of paradise. We were handed off to Steffan who told us the entrance fee was $20 per person, had read on Tripadvisor most pay $10 but we didn't barter. We paid at the end. Steffan gave us to Shamar, our guide for the trek. He was wonderful! They are VERY safety conscious. I am not very fit and have bad knees and Shamar was amazing! He held my hand the entire time, told me exactly where to step and was very encouraging. Make sure you wear water shoes. When we were almost back to the beginning Shamar told us he makes his wage from the tips he gets, so don't let the others see him get his tip. He had previously said he and his brothers share everything, so although I'm sure that's how he made his living I got a chuckle from the secrecy bit. We tipped him $30. He was worth every penny. When you get back to the cab you are encouraged to buy a Red Stripe, and there were some women selling jewelry and offering to braid your hair. Not pushy at all. We had not planned on going on any off resort trips and I am so glad we did this. It is absolutely breathtaking beautiful. And a hoot! A million times better than Dunn's River Falls.

Quote Originally Posted by jofrank View Post
    Anyone have any experience going to the Blue Hole from CSS? Cost of cab ride? How do we arrange a ca? Through the tour desk? Has anyone gone and was it worth going? Reviews of trip advisor all sound great and are rated 5 out of 5. Thanks in advance.
    Talk to Marvyn of Marvyns paradise tours.
    He or one of his crew will pick you up at the resort in a nice A/C'd Van and take you wherever you want to go and he waits for you while you are enjoying your attraction with no rush its on your timetable (he kept having to remind me of that!! LOL)
    I would recommend having a few ideas for excursions and do them as a half day or full day trip with him.
    His price to take you around is great, he and his crew are knowledgable about their country and a super great people.
    We had a blast on an all day excursion starting at the blue hole (amazing!) Can't say enough about this company.
    When you contact him he will tell you his cost and then what the entrance cost for each attraction is. Financially it really is the best way to go and you will have no worries.
    Tell him Rob and Crystal from Canada recommended him.. You won't be dissapointed.

Have fun!!! You'll love it!!

Rob

It's much cheaper to get a cab outside the gate. From Tower Isle to CSS or CSS to Ocho Rios it's only a $1.00 per person. I normally give them $10 for the 2 of us and the are happy as hell but watch for the ones who want to rip you off. Some will try and charge $40. Just walk away and ask the next cab. A friend of mine spent a week there and a cab driver drove them all over the island for a week. Took them home for dinner 1 night all for only $150. They ended up giving him $300.