Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Layover in Charlotte

Hi all, I just got notification that my flight on US Airways from Minneapolis to Charlotte has been changed to only give me a 55 minute layover between connecting flights. Is this plenty of time. We get into Charlotte at 8:40 A.M. and depart for Jamaica at 9:35 A.M. Both US airways flights. What does everyone think. I am assuming since the airline made the change it should be OK. Any thoughts appreciated. 65 more sleeps!

I have gone through customs in Charlotte and made my flight with only 35 minutes between flights. With 55 minutes you should have time for a short nap.

Sit in the front of the plane and you can do it if nothing goes wrong. I would call and see about a change

We use CLT alot and that sounds like plenty of time. One can't predict if there will be a delay on your first flight....also, since both flights are on US Air, you may be in the same terminal.

You should have enough time to use the restroom maybe grab some snacks and get to the terminal and gate. Charlotte is easy to navigate through. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by djsaylor View Post
    Hi all, I just got notification that my flight on US Airways from Minneapolis to Charlotte has been changed to only give me a 55 minute layover between connecting flights. Is this plenty of time. We get into Charlotte at 8:40 A.M. and depart for Jamaica at 9:35 A.M. Both US airways flights. What does everyone think. I am assuming since the airline made the change it should be OK. Any thoughts appreciated. 65 more sleeps!
    You'll be fine! Especially b/c its just from CLT to MBJ.....no going thru custom, etc. I think we had a layover of this time frame last time we went to CSA and it was fine

Charlotte is a fabulous airport to fly in or out of as it is small and very easily navigated. If there are no weather delays you should be fine.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Plenty of time. I connect through CLT at least once per month and that is more than enough time. 20 mins would probably be minimum connection i would do.

We've done that flight once. I was worried too as we left mn an hour late because the de-icer truck broke down. We were expecting to miss our connection but as we were the first ones off, found our gate was directly across the hall hadn't boarded yet. I was so mad the whole flight but so relieved when we got off the, plane in Charlotte.
    I'm not sure what happened but we made it.
    On a normal day, you will be fine. I wouldn't hesitate to book that route again. Happy travels

We have had short layovers at CLT before and have had very few problems on the way to Jamaica. You should be fine as long as your plane to CLT from home isn't delayed. Things are not too tough on the way to Jamaica because the luggage automatically checks through to MBJ. Our problem has sometimes been on the way home where things are very different! You need a longer layover at CLT (or anywhere if you have a connecting flight home) because when you land there is so much more to do. Once you land at your connection on the way home you have to go through immigration (which can take time sometimes!), wait for and claim your luggage, go through the customs lines, re-check your luggage by taking it to your airline's desk (being sure to put any fluids you bought after security at Sangster into your luggage since you can't take it back on to the next plane!), go through the TSA Security lines, and finally head to your gate. I would say to just make sure you have more time than that on the return trip if you have a connection on the way home! Have a great trip!

I have been going in and out of Charlotte for years, both domestic and international. "Going" you should be fine, most likely coming in on C concourse and then going out on the international concourse. If you are in the back of the plane on arrival you will have to hustle, make sure you "got r dun" or see when you check in try to pay the extra to move up into the first few rows. Enjoy your trip!

We usually only have 1 hour layover at CLT on the way down (10:30am - 11:30am) & we always make it -- even in winter when we have to de-ice at our home airport. You probably won't have time to stop & eat, but making the connection should be no problem. It takes forever to board those flights, so even if you make it to the gate a bit late, there should still be people in line waiting to board.

CLT is such an easy airport; it's our favorite by far. All of the terminals are in the same bldg -- no shuttles to worry about like in Philly, Atlanta, etc...

We always fly into B & out of D. It's always D (for us at least) for our flights to MBJ, CUN, SXM, PUJ, etc..., and it's usually gate D9 or D11, or something down at the end of D.

Map of CLT: http://clt.clickoptimize.com/

On both of our trips to Jamaica we had a layover in Charlotte. The first trip we had a layover about the same length as yours, the second we planned it so we had a longer layover. Not because an hour wasn't enough to get from gate to gate, but because we were *RAVENOUS* when we got to Jamaica! The longer layover the second trip gave us time for a leisurely breakfast.

Charlotte isn't a *massive* airport like some, and it fairly well laid out for getting from gate to gate as well.

We always have an hour in Charlotte. It's plenty of time for us. We usually get Burger King or Salsaritas and head to board the plane. You will have to change terminals most likely.

It will be perfect! I always have anywhere from a 40 minute to an hour layover. Just enough time to get off, grab a coffee, use the restroom and hop on the plane! No worries

I think you'll be ok. If you have extra time go to the BBQ place and get a fried pickle.

You will be fine
    No worries

We typically only have 55 minutes in Charlotte when we go. You will have plenty of time, assuming your fliight out of Minneapolis is not delayed. Charlotte is a relatively small airport (compared to say, O'Hare or Atlanta) and is very easy to navigate. No worries.
    Happy & Safe Travels!

=

Thanks everyone, I was much more comfortable with the original 1H 20M but I guess it will all be good. Shouldn't be any delays for weather on April 29th, although with this winter one never knows. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Inthesun View Post
    I think you'll be ok. If you have extra time go to the BBQ place and get a fried pickle.
    OK sorry to get off subject but... a fried pickle?

Default Charlotte Transfer

Quote Originally Posted by warren.cple View Post
    On both of our trips to Jamaica we had a layover in Charlotte. The first trip we had a layover about the same length as yours, the second we planned it so we had a longer layover. Not because an hour wasn't enough to get from gate to gate, but because we were *RAVENOUS* when we got to Jamaica! The longer layover the second trip gave us time for a leisurely breakfast.

Charlotte isn't a *massive* airport like some, and it fairly well laid out for getting from gate to gate as well.
    Coming back from Jamaica and transferring in Charlotte to head home, how are the customs lines? We have 1hr 20 mins between arriving in Charlotte before I next leg. Will we have enough time with checked bags to get through customs and catch our next flight?

We did it with a 66 minute layover in april, they have a new system that really moves you along.

There is another thread (travel to Jamaica) out there about connections in CLT and the gentleman who started the thread is in Ja now and here is his comment.

Sparky62
    90 minutes to get through Charlotte for a transfer was just enough time. Our connecting flight was boarding Zone 1 as we made back up to the gate.

You should be fine. We fly from STL to CLT to MBJ all the time and always seem to have a short layover. Never has any issue. Knock wood. LOL!

Over Memorial Day, we landed in CLT, used the restroom, got to the MBJ gate and they had already started boarding. Just make sure you stop by the gate desk for a passport check before you get in line to board.

Ended up being great because we landed in MBJ 35 minutes early.

That is the same connection we take every year, 9th coming up, and we have never had an issue getting through and onto our next flight. Last year was close, we were 45 minutes late getting out of Montego Bay due to a storm, but we still made it, albeit my wife running and me fast walking. The first year I swore we would not make it, I think every plane flying into the country landed just before us, but again, we made it somehow someway, but that was also on a Sunday. We now travel back home on either a Wednesday or Thursday, and it's usually just our flight. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast