Default Layover in Miami

I'm flying American and I have a one hour layover in Miami. Does that seem like that will be enough time? Thank you.

As long as your gates are close and you speak some Spanish, it won't be a problem.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

I'll trade you a three hour layover in Miami, oh wait that's on the way home. Usually go thru Charlotte, have gone thru Miami, you will be fine. Look at the terminal layout online and know where everything is. Don't stroll get to the gate area then take the break you need (ie bathroom)

Quote Originally Posted by mbw View Post
    I'm flying American and I have a one hour layover in Miami. Does that seem like that will be enough time? Thank you.
    It all depends if your luggage is meeting you in Miami or Montego Bay. Hopefully you will get your luggage in Montego Bay so you don't have to re-check it again in Miami. Cuz you won't make it if not. So make sure if your flying AA the whole time to check the bags all the way to Montego Bay. We are from Iowa, and last year we checked our bags from Des Monies all the way to Montego Bay flying AA. And we went from Des Monies to Dallas, Tx to Miami. Stayed in Miami overnight and flew to Montego Bay the next morning. Was nerve racking, but there was our luggage in Montego Bay! Also do yourself a favor and print off the American Airline concourse map for MIA. When you get close to MIA ask airline attendant what gate your next flight is at. Then use your map to find your next gate. Makes it easier on yourself when you have such a short layover. We leave this Thursday and touchdown in Montego Bay at 11:30am Friday morning flying AA-Hurray!! Hope this helps ya- Happy Trails!!!

We are from Iowa. Last year we flew American Airlines from Des Monies, Ia to Dallas, TX, to MIA. Stayed over night at MIA then from MIA to Montego Bay. We checked our bags in at Des Monies all the way threw to Montego Bay. Was really nervous about it, but there are bags were in Montego Bay! So if your flying American Airlines the whole way, check your bags all the way to Montego Bay. If you don't check them all the way to Montego Bay, you will never make your connecting flight, because the whole international/customs waiting in line thing will get cha. A good idea also is to print off the American Airlines Concourse Map of MIA. This way you can ask the flight attendant which GATE your connecting flight is at MIA. And determine where your gate is. Hopefully this helps! If your leaving from MIA this coming Friday on AA flight 1397 to Montego Bay, we will be on the same flight!

We also have an hour layover in Miami (When are you flying? Our flight is 10 May) I think it will be just fine. To me, anything less than 40 minutes is cutting it close, but otherwise you should have plenty of time. I also ALWAYS take extra clothes/bathing suit in my carry-on in case my checked luggage ends up on a later flight.

Assuming that you're talking about out-bound...yes. On the way out it's a breeze as your bag is checked through to Jamiaca. It's on the return that you'll need more time as you'll have to process through Immigrations, claim your bag, go through Customs and have your bag re-checked to your final destination.

Miami is HUGE! You will have plenty of time as long as you go right to where you need to be. If you get lucky enough to have a close gate you can grab something quick to eat(on the plane). Have fun! We'll be at CSS in 33 days for the 4th time!

You don't say if the one hour is going TO Jamaica or on your way home. If it's on the way TO Jamaica, you may be ok, unless your departure gate is far. MIA is enormous. If your one hour layover is on your way home, seriously doubtful you'll make it through customs and immigration, much less from gate to gate.

We always went through MIA until finding Caribbean Air out of Fort Lauderdale. MIA customs/immigration took us 20 minutes once...usually closer to 1.5-2 hours. One trip home, an entire plane load from Nigeria got into the American Citizens Only line, and rather than make them go where they should, they processed everyone. One at a time. About 10 minutes per person. Even with a multitude of desks open, it was a few hours. Yes, we hate MIA. .

We flew through Miami earlier this month. We had about an hour layover going to Jamaica. That worked out fine. Coming home we had a 2 1/2 hour layover. I thought we would be hanging around waiting. Turned out it took us about an 1 1/2 hours to clear customs and immigrations. We walked quite a distance and the lines were long. We found Charlotte much easier and will try to avoid Miami in the future. Not sure if our experience was typical or not but the walk alone took quite a while even without the lines.

I would say on the way to MBJ you should be fine assuming there are no major flight delays. It would be cutting it close on the way back since you have to go through Customs and Immigration, as well as security again.

You can check flight status morning of your trip to see gate locations both for your arriving flight and your flight to Jamaica. Sometimes they do change though. American flights mostly operate in terminal D with some also in E which is close by so you won't have to traverse the whole airport for your connection. An hour should be fine unless your flight to MIA is delayed.

And in response to the post after yours, knowledge of the spanish language is not necessary.

I loved connecting in Miami on the way back. They had this very friendly Beagle who came over and sat beside me and became my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by jimpat1 View Post
    I loved connecting in Miami on the way back. They had this very friendly Beagle who came over and sat beside me and became my friend.
    Love this one! I saw the BIGGEST German Shepherd I've EVER seen at the MIA airport….There was NO messin' with that puppy!!

We always try to avoid MIA - it's a zoo!!

[QUOTE=gonegril;239169]Love this one! I saw the BIGGEST German Shepherd I've EVER seen at the MIA airport….There was NO messin' with that puppy!!

There are several dogs used at MIA, all for different reasons. The Beagle is trained to sniff out cannabis and coffee (used by smugglers to disguise the smell of cannabis), the Shepherds are used to find citrus and most other fragrant plants, and there are two other dogs that are there to detect explosives. If a dog sits down next to your bags, it means the dog has detected something and your bags will be thoroughly searched.

A word to the wise, these dogs can detect odors in parts per million.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida

The big German Shepherd was walking down the escalator with his handler (equally big). At the bottom of the stairs was a pink suitcase, all by itself, with what appeared to be a civilian and an officer standing next to it….This was pre 9/11, so I don't think there was the same level of panic there would've been after that event, but I didn't hang around to see what happened next….It was a long time ago, but that dog has definitely taken on mythic proportions in my imagination!!

So you're saying he wasn't being my friend????

Quote Originally Posted by jimpat1 View Post
    So you're saying he wasn't being my friend????
    "Friend of the devil is a friend of mine."
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida