Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Repeaters being rude to newbies??

I have been reading reviews on TA lately (nothing else to do while you are counting the days!!!!) that sound as if there is a rash of seasoned repeaters being rude and obnoxious to newbies (reviews I read were from CSA). I don't see much mention of that on the MB at all, what are your experiences? To me, that just sounds ridiculous, who really cares if you have been 50 times or once?

I wrote about this exact topic last week and it never got posted to the MB. I read a review on TA about how an older lady took the mike away from a newbie at the piano bar at CSA and said something along the lines of “You’re new here. When you’ve been here 13 times like me, that’s when you get to sing!” I have not witnessed that behaivior at CSA yet and I hope I don't, not sure how I would react, depends the mood I was in I guess!! If this really happened, I really don't care how many times you have been there that person should learn some manners.

We were newbies a couple of weeks ago and the repeaters at CSS were really nice to us. Hopefully that's the most common experience. They seemed to enjoy sharing their knowledge and experience with us. One couple even shared their going-away snacks with us on the shuttle to the airport!

It does happen, it happen to us but I already did my rant about that. Your vacation is what you make of it. Go and enjoy your self and don't worry about anybody else.
    CTI- December 2010
    CN- December 2013

Well we will be a newbie to Jamaica and CN And will not put up with anyone being rude on my vacation.. But you will always come across those kinds of people who think they are better then others and you just have to blow them off.

It happens on this message board on occasion. Sometimes opinionated repeaters come across as the message board police, telling newbies how they should or should not enjoy their vacations. At the resort, as at anywhere, you will always come across people who complain about many things and people who are just plain rude, but I never noticed it specifically being repeaters berating newbies. Though I have heard an occasional story of groups of repeaters acting like they are privileged and own the place and being rude to other guests and staff.

That is completely bogus. You don't know who is new from those that have been there many times unless you ask. Most repeaters are more than happy to meet first timers and help them to make the most of their time at Couples. Ignore that hogwash.
    See you at the beach!
    dirtleg & sandyfoot

We were newbies at one time and met a lot of couples that were not and never had any problems. I am not a really social person, but my wife is, and at Couples I have never been bashful about talking or meeting anyone. It's something about Couples, it is such a wonderfull and friendly place and it shows!

While I can't speak for CSA, I've been to CN 5 times. If I happen to meet a newbie, which is quite often, we get to talking about things to do and see. My wife and I are always willing to talk about why we keep coming back. Then the question from the newbies comes up, "What is a Bob Marley and have you ever had one?" At that point we head to the beach bar and have one. Needless to say, there have been some days where I don't remember anything. Too many Marley's in one day. I don't put much faith in TA reviews. Just got back from trip #5 in January, and planning for #6 next January.
    Everything Irie!

Duane & Mary

We are long time repeaters. Unfortunatley, there have been some repeaters that felt as though they had, or should have, some sort of special treatment and priviledges. Sometmes, as with the lady in the Piano bar, it could be the alcohol talking. There is still no excuse for it. But people are people and there is no accounting for humanity.
    In our experience, those kind of disrespectful people have been few and far between. I wouldn't confront them in any given situation. I would make sure that people in the front office are made aware of anyone that is offensive in any way. If management doesn't know about something going on, they can't correct it. I know at CTI, Mr. Henry will act almost immediately if something like a rude guest, especially a repeater, was being stupid.

What ever resort you may be at, please let that General Manager know of anything you are upset or displeased with anything. Guests opinions and criticizims are always welcomed,

Well I can't wait to try the Bob Marley sounds great.

Quote Originally Posted by cfthunder View Post
    I wrote about this exact topic last week and it never got posted to the MB. I read a review on TA about how an older lady took the mike away from a newbie at the piano bar at CSA and said something along the lines of “You’re new here. When you’ve been here 13 times like me, that’s when you get to sing!” I have not witnessed that behaivior at CSA yet and I hope I don't, not sure how I would react, depends the mood I was in I guess!! If this really happened, I really don't care how many times you have been there that person should learn some manners.
    That is the exact review I was thinking of when I wrote this post. It just seems so odd, how would someone know you were new?? It's not like you walk around with a flashing billboard!! I will definately not let anyone ruin my vacation, and am quite happy to put someone in their place when need be, I was just wondering if the TA reviews were accurate or not. It seems as though most people have not had this issue.

we were all newbies once........................................ as Bob Marley said..The biggest man you ever did see was once just a baby

When we went to CSA for our Honeymoon in 2012 we met many repeaters. Most were very nice and just talked about why and how much they loved CSA and why they keep coming back. Never met anyone that felt entitled to more because they were repeaters. I've witnessed this WAY more on cruises, where I feel like everyone starts their conversations by stating their name and how many cruises they've been on!!!

Laura

Some small number of multiple repeat guests at any resort tend to behave as if their past number of trips entitle them to a variety of things. Those people are just morons for the most part, so it's best just to ignore them. Most repeaters with a brain know that what being a repeater means is that you get to attend the dinner, you get small gifts, and you get a resort credit. Outside of that as repeaters we should not get, nor should we expect anything that a first time guest isn't just as entitled to by virtue of having paid to be there that week. Some take their ability to travel more often than others, or the $ they have to travel more often as some sort of license to dictate how things go, how things should be, and even to 'patiently explain to newbie' how they are vacationing all wrong. Some of them begin to feel and act as if it is their resort and others are allowed to use it. It would be comical if it were not so offensive.
    Like I said, this does happen sometimes, but it is rare and the vast majority of Couples repeat guests would never ever behave that way. I would say to simply not worry about it and ignore anyone who acts that way.
    All the best -

We have made three trips to CN in the last 2 years with our 1st trip in Oct 2012. At no time during that trip were we ever treated rudely my anyone, staff or repeat guests. Since that time we have always interacted with 1st time guests as well as those that we double digit repeaters.

Not to say that it does not exists, but we have never experienced it. On the contrary the seasoned repeaters always seemed happy to share their experiences and made us immediately feel welcome.
    CN, Oct 2012, CN May 2013, CN Dec 2013, Booked CN Dec 2014 2015,

As a repeater, I always try to clue the rookies into the tips and tricks of the resort.

You will find people with a sense of entitlement or an air of superiority everywhere...occasionally even at Couples. But it is not something I have ever taken notice of. I would not give it a second thought. You're not likely to run into that person.

My instinct is to help first-timers out if they ask for it. I don't think it's a repeater thing. It's a personality thing. When someone's rude, it's just who they are, no matter if it's their first visit or 20th.

I saw several instances of guests being rude (or acting like knuckle dragging mouthbreathers) on our trip to CSA earlier this month. Examples: We were using the jacuzzi by the Cabana Grill on a rainy afternoon and an older gentleman "hung up" his shirt in the potted palm next to the Cabana Grill and proceeded to enter the jacuzzi with his sandals on. While strolling back to our room along the beach path after dinner, a couple behind us made an extremely rude remark to us because we weren't moving quickly enough for their taste. Why the heck are you in a rush at 9:00 p.m. at CSA? Another guest was loudly berating a few employees at the Sunset beach bar because they were "too lazy" to go to another bar to get her some Ting. And the worst of all, a guy in 2nd floor beachfront room leaned over his balcony and "invited" one of the lovely staff members to engage in crude behavior. It made her cry.

Quite frankly, I think in almost every case it was the alcohol talking. Although Bob and I certainly enjoy our rum cream, Red Stripe, wine, scotch, etc., etc., we have learned to pace ourselves while at CSA. If I were not on vacation to relax, I would have given quite a few guests the dope slaps that they deserved.

And I never bring up how many times we've been to Couples while at the resort unless someone asks. It might sound like bragging, when in fact it only means we are old!

My experience is that it has nothing to do with how many times you have been there but more about how many drinks you had and how you were raised. Some people are just not very nice and many drunks are loud and rude. That applies everywhere and not just Couples. We have seen few if any problems and been to Couples 8 times with 4 of those at CSA. Enjoy! You will love it!

Name:  40.gif
Views: 2800
Size:  10.6 KBWe have been to all four of The Couples Resorts several times and I can honestly say(lucky me)that I have never seen a rude person at any of these resorts.Of course it does happen but I have not experience it at all...And hey,we LOVE newbies.

Hugs from Tommywommy of 10 0 C

"Examples: We were using the jacuzzi by the Cabana Grill on a rainy afternoon and an older gentleman "hung up" his shirt in the potted palm next to the Cabana Grill and proceeded to enter the jacuzzi with his sandals on. While strolling back to our room along the beach path after dinner, a couple behind us made an extremely rude remark to us because we weren't moving quickly enough for their taste. Why the heck are you in a rush at 9:00 p.m. at CSA? Another guest was loudly berating a few employees at the Sunset beach bar because they were "too lazy" to go to another bar to get her some Ting. And the worst of all, a guy in 2nd floor beachfront room leaned over his balcony and "invited" one of the lovely staff members to engage in crude behavior. It made her cry."

I have only been to Couples (CSA) 5 times, which pales in comparison to the seasoned vets!! I remember being new and having met lovely couples willing to share their experiences with us and allow us to decide what we wanted out of our vacation. Maybe that is what directed us to be welcoming repeaters but I would argue it is plain old personality and human nature... You may have read my post on the T-Shirt issues, if not, I will mention that I find most the "complaints" people have at CSA as trivial...

That being said... The t-shirt on the palm tree and sandals in the hot tub is just plain rude... We would move to another tub or just ignore the individual.

The rude comments on the path, I would have kept my cool and just allowed them to pass (maybe they don't understand island time yet...), possibly a look of disgust or chuckle would have been noticeable as they passed but that's beside the point ...

The berating of a bartender over ting, SERIOUSLY????? The staff is there to make your stay as enjoyable as possible!!! If you MUST have Ting (personally I love the stuff) why don't you walk down and get some from the SELF SERVE taps and bring it back to them? Or better yet tell them your alcohol of choice and try their concoction? This would have caused me to notify the resort GM (Karen), the staff does not deserve that sort of treatment plain and simple...

Now on to the last example... This is completely unacceptable ANYWHERE and ANY TIME!!! This is the only example I have EVER heard of that would actually make me an angry person while in paradise!! I would have absolutely made sure that resort management heard of that incident, albeit after I made a visit to his room myself... The only thing that could top this would be if he had said it to someone's wife (whom the lovely staff member very well could have been!) or worse yet, mine!! If his "invitation" was something he wanted to try on vacation he should have gone to Hedo...

I have seen my fair share of rude people and complainers while at CSA but have always just chuckled to myself and my wife while admiring the beauty of our surroundings... To the "newbies" reading this thread, please feel free to try out Couples, come with open expectations and you will likely discover the reason Couples has such a fantastic following!!! If you encounter any of these types of people, just move down the beach a bit and try again, 95% of the people there are happy to carry on casual conversation if not become lifelong friends!!

Soon come, One Love!

I have worked mainly in offices the last 30+ years and had many holidays around the world and met lots of nice people in both work and on holiday with only the odd exception but its only been these last few years since I got a part time job working for a Crowd Management company doing stewarding and security work at music festivals and concerts and large sporting events that I have come to realise that it does not matter whether they are young or old, rich or poor but there are a very large number of people in this world who are generally nasty, rude, disrespectful and ill mannered and looking for a fight, even more so when they have a glass or two of alcohol (and a bit of sun). So although the vast majority of people who go to Couples resorts are lovely people I am not surprised that there are the odd individual who stands out from the crowd with their bad behaviour.

We had an experience in Oct 13 at CSA. We had invited a few of the girls to sit with us and enjoy lunch if they could. So we all 6 (2 couples and 2 girls) sat down to eat. All of the sudden the girls got really nervous. Come to find out a couple of repeaters were not happy that they were socializing with newbies. So they went to the owner and complained. ( he was there since it was anniversary weekend) Next thing we know, the repeaters bought the owner over by us. They were pointing at us. Then girls started getting text messages from their boss. The rest of the week whenever those repeaters walked by the gave us dirty looks. Sad but we just laughed it off. I mean come on just relax and enjoy your vacation!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast