Default Tennis Academy for kids in Ocho Rios

Last year I donated tennis rackets for the tennis academy in Ocho Rios. I am working on more donations, however, someone asked me the name of the tennis academy. Does it have a name? I will be at Couples Sans Souci in April, hopefully with a suitcase full of tennis shoes!!

Quote Originally Posted by kcgibby View Post
    Last year I donated tennis rackets for the tennis academy in Ocho Rios. I am working on more donations, however, someone asked me the name of the tennis academy. Does it have a name? I will be at Couples Sans Souci in April, hopefully with a suitcase full of tennis shoes!!
    This sounds like a wonderful program! I don't know if they have something similar in or around Negril, or if the Negril staff would be able to get a donation over to Ochi. However, if we are able to book a fall 2014 trip to CSA as we are so hoping (2014 rates will need to be adjusted first to fall in line with the '15-'16 rate adjustments) we would love to bring a large donation of equipment and apparel to this youth tennis academy. I know that players from my local tennis club would be thrilled to make donations. We did something similar for a program in Antigua. Tennis academies such as this are a jump start for the kids to have access to educational opportunities they wouldn't have otherwise as well, not just for them to get the benefits of access to tennis instruction.

Always glad to hear others are involved in helping the local tennis camps in Jamaica. I don't remember the name of the Academy either. I think the name of it changed a while back, but last I knew it was still in operation.

Almost all tennis players (at least those who play every week) buy new tennis racquets more often than they would like to admit since the technology changes fairly rapidly. Because of that most die-hard tennis players have a bunch of good tennis racquets they don't use anymore sitting around somewhere. When my wife and I realized this about 20 years ago we started taking one of our most recent racquets (but not our current favorite) to Jamaica with us. We then have a good quality, familiar racquet to play with all week and then we donate them. The pros at most of the resorts we have chosen tend to volunteer at local tennis programs or at least have some connection to them. This seems a far better use of the older racquets than having them sit around home and we spend the week playing with racquets that fit our style of play, have the tension we like, and have decent overgrips on them (extremely important in Jamaica on a hot day!). Let's face it, even at Couples it's hard to find a racquet you can enjoy playing with on vacation if you don't bring one. This is a win-win for us and a local tennis camp where they end up in the hand of a young aspiring Jamaican tennis player.