Default SS- what to wear for events and Spring Break q

We are travelling to Couples SS in mid-March. It is our first time at Couples and we are very excited! We chose SS due to its more private setting and the romantic atmosphere I've been reading so much about.

I've read that people virtually live in their swimsuits/bikinis during the day (unless they are going au naturel). And I gather that when we make reservations for a restaurant at dinner like Casanova that we would dress up some-- a dress for me and nice pants and shirt for DH. We like to dress up some, so that will be fun! So, I was wondering, what about the other events, like the Beach Party and Starlight Gala? I'm guessing the Beach Party is ultra-casual daywear/beachwear, but do people dress up for the Gala or is it casual, too?

Also, we are booking it during Spring Break because that is our only available time slot at the moment. I imagine the airports may be super crazy? Will the resort be busy, too? I know that it being a resort for couples, it shouldn't attract the regular Spring Break crowd, but was wondering if that is a busy time, anyway.

I am so excited about this trip. It will be our second anniversary and we are finally getting around to taking our honeymoon. I've been reading thread after thread on this board for interesting info. It just makes me look forward to it more!

Quote Originally Posted by coffeespoons View Post
    And I gather that when we make reservations for a restaurant at dinner like Casanova that we would dress up some-- a dress for me and nice pants and shirt for DH. We like to dress up some, so that will be fun! So, I was wondering, what about the other events, like the Beach Party and Starlight Gala? I'm guessing the Beach Party is ultra-casual daywear/beachwear, but do people dress up for the Gala or is it casual, too?
    I've been reading thread after thread on this board for interesting info. It just makes me look forward to it more!
    ahhhh so much for searching the FAQ or the previous boards so since you asked .. it is a GALA (def "festal pomp or dress")one that is pretty incredible ( great food and decorations )
    think james bond when he is wandering off a yacht to some swanky affiar what is he wearing? there you go.

I have no idea how the recession is affecting the bookings in Jamaica, but I can't imagine it's a positive thing. However, even if the resort is at capacity, it will not seem crowded. It is the largest property in terms of acreage with the fewest rooms. There are two pools that are used frequently, two beachest that are used frequently, spacious grounds, and people are spread around quite a bit. Everybody has a different schedule. If you spend a few days there before the gala (or the beach party), you'll likely be very surprised at how many people seem to appear from nowhere on the main lawn.

There is always a "social scene" with people at the bars or the main pool, but people are also busy doing their own thing, as well, either on- or off-property.

As far as dress for the evening, you'll see a wide variety at the beach party and probably a bit more dressy for the gala. I was always raised that it's better to be overdressed than underdressed, but really it's a matter of preference and confort.

We were at CSS in January, so I can't address the spring break question.

As far as what to wear, the Starlight Gala was a somewhat formal affair. Most of the ladies wore dresses or skirts. Most of the guys wore slacks and shirts (everything from Hawaiian shirts to shirt and tie). I saw very few sports coats/suits on the men, but there were a few. You will definitely want to wear sandals with a lower heel, because the Gala is held on the main lawn. It would be impossible to negotiate in spiky high heels.

At the beach party, almost everyone wore shorts and t-shirts or casual tops. I didn't see any beach wear, though, at the beach party.

Quote Originally Posted by steverandlinda View Post
    ahhhh so much for searching the FAQ or the previous boards so since you asked .. it is a GALA (def "festal pomp or dress")one that is pretty incredible ( great food and decorations )
    think james bond when he is wandering off a yacht to some swanky affiar what is he wearing? there you go.
    Actually, I have read the FAQ and a TON of threads on this message board (as my husband would attest to because I keep sharing the info with him, lol), but I couldn't find this particular info., even after doing some searches on it. I knew what a gala was, but in all of the threads I've read, so many peeps seems to prefer to go casual, so I wasn't sure if they dressed up for this like I would think people would for that sort of party. Wouldn't want to show up over-dressed, even though my husband and I love dressing up.

Mestralle, thank you for taking the time to respond. I have read some reviews that even when the resort was at 90% capacity, it doesn't seem too crowded, so I imagine it'll be all right.

Thank you, Bobandjudy. That is exactly what I was looking for. It sounds like a lot of fun.

I was going to wear shorts and a nice (plain solid color) t shirt with beach shoes to the beach party but it rained so we ordered room service instead. I wore capri pants and a blouse with a wedge sandal to the gala. It is on the lawn so you would not want a heel since it would keep digging into the ground.

Amy

Here is a group pic on the night of the gala and one of me with another couple we met there before we went to Casanova for dinner and one of me and my hubby before the beach party. Thought these might help you! PS. I took waaaayyy too many shorts and tshirts, everyone is right about daytime, you live in your suit and coverup till about 5:00. Don't worry about asking questions......that is the purpose of the MB, I still am learning new stuff...
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Coffeespoons:

You chose CSS for all the right reasons and will not be disappointed! It is a very romantic resort, one that is lots of fun to explore because things just surprise you around this corner and then again around the next. Even after looking at the pic's for months before our trip, I found I was very plesantly surprised, and intrigued over and over.

It is a feeling there, one that cannot be described you have to experience it.

Couples resorts are more of a boutique type chain, they are not 600 room resorts, so even when they are booked to capacity they never "feel" crowded. Spring breakers are not allowed, and the beach is private so you will encounter no problems there.

The beach party is much more casual than the Gala, you can wear shorts for the beach party, but nice ones, however, for dinners at the restaurants you need to dress like you would to go out on a date which makes it kind of fun. Sundresses, skirts, or dressy capri's work well. Men must wear long pants, not jeans, khaki's are fine and collared shirts with closed toed shoes which is typical at most Caribbean resorts. I would dress for the Gala like you would to a summer outdoor wedding. You will see a bit of everything, including some really decked out people, but in general when I think of Couples resorts I don't think of opulent, ritzy or stuffy like some resorts in Mexico, but more of a casual relaxed Caribbean elegance.

p.s. You do live in your suit all day long until you dress for dinner, so lots of shorts are not needed, at least 3 suits and cover ups and sundresses, skirts, capris, you are good to go. One more bonus to CSS, there is room service for lunch and dinner too.......

Have a wonderful trip!