Default CSA wifi- FaceTime/skype

From what I've read wifi isn't the greatest at CSA. This isn't a huge deal but we would like to be able to FaceTime with our kids while on vacation. Has anyone had success with FaceTime/skype? We don't necessarily need to be in our room, are there certain locations on the resort that have better wifi than others? Thanks!

i could barely get Skpye to work anywhere at CSA over the last 2 weeks but Facetime was a bit better pretty much everywhere wifi was working.The main issue is that wifi is patchy: often won't let you join , drops all the time and can be very very slow when it does work. There are 2 signals but both have similar problems.

You could probably go to the great house computer room or maybe the reception area Not sure where the signal is located. Our room usually has a weak signal but the patio is much better. We have never needed it for anything other than email though. Hopefully Skype will work.

Quote Originally Posted by misbay View Post
    From what I've read wifi isn't the greatest at CSA. This isn't a huge deal but we would like to be able to FaceTime with our kids while on vacation. Has anyone had success with FaceTime/skype? We don't necessarily need to be in our room, are there certain locations on the resort that have better wifi than others? Thanks!
    We were at CSA in January and the wifi worked great in the room. We were near the Lobby in a Atruim suite and had no problem with skype or voip calling.

misbay: I was wondering the same. We will be there in late April. Not sure when you are going but I will report back.

Last year we were able to get a strong enough signal to FaceTime over at the Cabana Grill. We'd go late at night to check in with the family. Other than that, don't bother trying to get a signal cause like others have said it's too weak, too flaky to actually do anything.

It's never been great, and often there's no signal. But if you connect very early in the morning (like when most folks are securing palapas on the beach) or late in the evening, it's fine for email and Facebook. FaceTime and Skype require a lot of bandwidth and that's just not available. Sometimes the best signal is in the middle of the bed, other times out on the patio; move around and watch your signal strength indicator.

There's always a steady signal in the lobby when all else fails.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

We did facetime earlier in the morning when people weren't up and about, yet. As the day goes on, the wifi seemed worse, probably because more people were on it at the same time.

Saw some people doing it around the lobby and seemed to be working okay. Was usually in the morning not sure about later in day.

Does Face time cost anything if using wifi?

No, but is from one Apple device to another. Apple to Samsung or Samsung to Apple will not work.

Thanks Zachmack. I thought because Face time was number to number it would cost something.

anyone recommend a good wifi app we can use to make phone calls/text messages to the US from there?

Quote Originally Posted by suthrnflwr View Post
    anyone recommend a good wifi app we can use to make phone calls/text messages to the US from there?
    Skype.

We were at CSA last May & had no problem with WiFi at all the entire week.

Google Voice

Viber is an excellent app! We used it on our last trip in Thailand to call home and text, just make sure your family downloads the app too. We had no issues and were usually calling from the middle of the jungle or in rural areas where wifif was poor so I assume it would work well at CSA!