Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default First time to Jamaica. Going to CN in June!

What do I need to bring other than my beautiful wife?

There is an enormous thread on this, "The I wish I thought/Brought of that", probably worth hitting the last page button once you find it, I believe last I saw the post someone had condensed it all into 1 list. In all honesty though there is a ton of stuff on there that I am guessing most people do not bring. Not to say that you wouldn't want it while there though so look it over closely. We have been to CSA several times and have been able to skim down our list a little more each time. If you read the boards enough regarding "what to pack" you will see plenty of repeaters advising to pack your bag and then take half of it out. They say this because it is completely true! For our trip this year I am considering just taking a carry-on (many repeaters are able to pull this off so I want to try!) of a few days worth of clothes and utilizing the resorts laundry service when I only have a days worth of fresh clothes left. If I recall correctly it is a few dollars per item which these days is easily offset by most airlines baggage charges and you have it back the same day in most cases I have read about.

Patience first, it's a virtue and will help you have a wonderful time.

Thanks, these threads may help....I'll look them up! I don't want to have to keep up with much...just what I need.

Bring a couple ball point pens to fill out forms on the plane. A camera to capture the great vacation you'll have. Don't be afraid to ask someone to take your picture, we all do it and the pictures are better with both of you in them. I usually bring some money to tip the porters at the airport and driver of the shuttle bus . Save some for the return trip home. Sun screen is a must and usually higher SPF then you think. Aloe for after you burn. Some bring bug spray but we've never had bug issues. Clothes wise anything goes for the most part except the nicer restaurants that have a dress code. Just bring yourselves and have fun. There's lots to do so do as much or as little as you want. Enjoy!

So many threads on lists. Not sure where to start but sounds like I will be letting the wife figure some of this out

My wife always made the mistake of over packing. Read up from the other threads and determine what to bring. Multiple swimsuits are one of the most important items for us. We spend almost all day on the beach and they donít dry very well in the Caribbean.
    Life is good

Thanks B.O.B. I can see forgetting the pens and scrambling to finish filling out papers!

Bring an appetite! The food is out of this world.

Duane & Mary

Kurt and Angela
    CN 2011, 2013 and 2015
    CSS 2014

Thanks Beach-bum, taking notes.

Trying to lose weight at this time so I can eat what I want when I arrive....lol

May be the thread I was looking for...a lot of ideas. Thanks kurt and Angie

I agree with beachbum, I usually bring at least 3 swin suits as they don't dry and get funky

Spend your time on the AN beach and you won't need to worry about wet suits!
    Sharon

My beautiful wife just signed up to the Message Board! Hi Virginia! 88 more days to go and we will be at CN!!!!

We just got back from our first trip to Jamaica/CN. I brought 3 shorts, 3 bathing suits, outfit for Otaheite, hat, sunglasses, few toiletries, and an ttitude to have the time of my life! Mission accomplished!!

With Mothers' & Fathers' day coming up, a nice gift would be an underwater camera. My wife hooked me up with one on valentine's day.

Congrats on booking Couples Negril! My husband and I will be there in May and couldn't be more stoked!! So basically this is a BEACH vacation. This might sound pretty obvious, but we'd been on a ton of vacations before and until we went to a Couples resort....we didn't quite understand the difference. I have learned now to bring about 10 different bikinis, a bunch of cover-ups, flip flops, and dresses for night time. THAT'S IT for clothes. I've packed shorts, skirts, t-shirts, bermuda shorts...etc....and have never unpacked them. I found that all I wore all week tended to go from bathing suit to cover up to cute dress at night. My husband felt the same. Board shorts for day and nice outfits for dinner. DONE.

Other than that....tons of sunblock, a camera, book to read at the beach (if that's your thing), ipod for the system they have in your room, and straws are NOT a bad idea, I'm not gonna lie. Especially if you want to sip your drink while lying down.

Sidenote....you can save some room in your luggage and just go to the AN side during the day. We're doing this, but I'm still bringing a bunch of bathing suits because you can't go paddleboarding, kyaking, snorkeling, etc...without them.

Laura

Keep those ideas coming and welcome to my wife, Virginia, She just signed up today on the message board! 88 days and counting!

We just got back from CN first time and it was wonderful..It say's a no tipping resort but there are just too many good people working there that need a little extra.. We would just shake there hand with a little extra tip and they all loved it. Bring lots of swim suits. You will be spending lots of time on the beach in the water or at the pool. Have a wonderful time. Its a beautiful place will be going back.

I made it on the boards and am overwhelmed by the support from everyone. I have to admit I was thinking I needed extra suitcases after reading some of the posts (great ideas!) but I'm thinking more like snoop, Laura and others. Just make it care free, fun and romantic! I CANNOT WAIT to go! How many days now?

nls, It is imperative for the culture of Couples that you do not give tips. First and foremost you are putting the employee's job at risk when you do it. If management finds out that an employee accepted a tip they can lose their job. Second, it defeats the environment they are creating and have created for decades. We don't want it to become a place where different guests receive different service based on the tip they give. Remember, the best tip you can give an employee is to leave a comment about them on your exit survey. They keep track of these and reward the employees that receive positive feedback.

Nls, tipping is not allowed, don't you get it? Quit being so selfish and putting those employees in a bad spot!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kevinries View Post
    nls, It is imperative for the culture of Couples that you do not give tips. First and foremost you are putting the employee's job at risk when you do it. If management finds out that an employee accepted a tip they can lose their job. Second, it defeats the environment they are creating and have created for decades. We don't want it to become a place where different guests receive different service based on the tip they give. Remember, the best tip you can give an employee is to leave a comment about them on your exit survey. They keep track of these and reward the employees that receive positive feedback.
    Well said!

kevinries - Ditto!!!

NLS - I know it was your first time and you likely did so with the best of intentions however accepting your tip is something that can dramatically impact the rest of their lives. Working for Couples is one of the best jobs on the island (straight from the employees mouths) and those that have taken it seriously have moved up through the ranks over our trips there, which is fantastic to see!! Would you want to be the reason they lost their job for a few extra bucks?

Couples has also done an amazing job fostering an environment of equality between ALL guests, unlike some other resorts that treat you based on the color of wrist band you are wearing... When a staff member is put in that situation it can impact that level of equality as well. Not to mention the staff behind the scenes... Just think about the wonderful crew that maintains the grounds all day in that heat... They are not front and center to receive the recognition and tips like the wait and bartender staff, but in all honesty they play an equal part in making your trip the best it can be!

Lastly, I was told by management a few years back at the repeaters dinner that Couples offers all employess an annual profit sharing program to even out the distribution of incentives. I believe Randymon mentioned it on the boards as well.

Again, I am sure you had the best intentions but when you return please keep this all in mind!

One love, Irie!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast