Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Low Carb Cocktails??

Yeah I know we are going to be on vacation but I don't want to sabotage my LC diet. I look forward to Edgar's omelets for breakfast! But short of sending myself into a sugar coma with slushy drinks at SSB, I want to be prepared. Anybody else deal with this? I remember the last time we were there a gentleman was just drinking straight shots so he didn't add sugar/calories. I'm not sure I can go that route......

you can always go with Coconut Rum, and Diet Coke- pretty tasty !

What about vodka or citron vodka,club soda and a splash of cranberry. After a few days of the fruity drinks I usually have this.

Vodka soda with lime. Maybe add a splash of juice or tonic.
    Or wine.

Vodka Slush (crushed Ice, choose a good vodka, lime juice)

This is as low carb as we have found and it's amazingly refreshing on a hot day!

Vodka and ting.

Thank you for all the suggestions! 39 days until we go home to CSS.

Gin and Ting!

Gin and Tonic is pretty low carb
    Rums are higher in carbs as far as liquor goes
    Gin, vodka, whiskey are lower
    beer is a bit higher
    as it wine
    You could bring diet Red Bull from home (I haven't found it in Jamaica)
    and use it to make Vodka and Diet RB
    I like Ting a Ling's-Vodka and Ting but they don't have diet Ting on the resort
    Vodka and Diet Coke with a splash of lime is also good

Hope this helps

John

Hi there!!! A low carb/low calorie drink that I enjoy is Grey Goose and club soda....with a splash of lime. This drink is very refreshing and NOT filling. Another low cal choice of mine is a vodka martini. I always ask for a glass of ice water to go with my drinks too. We must stay hydrated during vacation too!!! Have fun!

Vodka and/or flavored vodka and seltzer is my drink of choice because I'm constantly watching my weight.....albeit not AS much while on vacation, but I'd rather save the calories for the delish food. Anyway, I would usually start the day with a bloody mary or mimosa (both low calorie) and rotate between apple stoli with seltzer and water throughout the day. For nighttime, I'm a huge fan of extra dirty martinis and sometimes I'll splurge on a cosmo, but even then they are both low calorie. I might indulge in ONE foo foo drink like a pina colada or something but I feel gross if I have much more than that. Have fun! You can definitely still indulge in some adult beverages and NOT blow up while on vacation!!!

Laura

I will have a little bit of pineapple or some other juice with soda water if I don't want an alcoholic drink. (Mind you this isn't the only thing I drink during the day) It's refreshing and keeps me hydrated while at the beach. At night I prefer Bombay Blue Sapphire Gin Martinis!
    CN 2003, 2006, 2013
    CSS 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014
    There's no place like home in Jamaica!

Regarding carbs in alcohol, 80 proof rum has no more carbs than 80 proof vodka, whiskey, etc, and really not even considered to be true carbs per se.

I suggest you look up the alcohol (rum vs vodka, etc) in a search engine like calorieking.com to view carbs, alcohol, calories, etc.

In fact, the body treats alcohol and true carbs differently… http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/alcbev.htm

Ting is not sugar-free and therefore will be high in carbs as will all the fruit juices if used in quantity. How I do wish Couples would swing for Diet Ting but the last we were told that was a definite no.

Club soda is a good choice as a mixer as is diet soda.

True low carb choices will be somewhat limited. I'll probably stick more to Crown and Diet Coke or vodka slushies my next trip with the occasional rum punch and Dirty Banana. Woman shall not live by low carb alone while on vacation.

I wanted to drink rum when I was in Jamaica. So I would order a rum and club soda. Then I would add the crystal light water enhancer in a fun flavor, like tropical punch, watermelon, kiwi strawberry, etc. It was very yummy and refreshing and pretty low carb.
    Kelly & Troy
    CTI 2010
    CSS 2013
    CN 2015

MsHoo, if you are doing low or no carbs those fruity slushy drinks would probably be too sweet for you anyways! When I was at CSA last year I was looking for the same thing and I stuck to rum and diet or vodka/gin tonic. I returned home and didn't gain a pound. They don't have diet tonic or diet ting, but if you can stay away from the sugar mixes you will be good! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by tabnkirk View Post
    MsHoo, if you are doing low or no carbs those fruity slushy drinks would probably be too sweet for you anyways! When I was at CSA last year I was looking for the same thing and I stuck to rum and diet or vodka/gin tonic. I returned home and didn't gain a pound. They don't have diet tonic or diet ting, but if you can stay away from the sugar mixes you will be good! Good luck!
    Rum and tonic is good too.

tonic has much more sugar than soda or juice.
    the vodka slushie has simple syrup in it. just fyi
    bloody mary, or anything mixed with juice may be low cal in comparison to the crazy awesome sugar drinks they have, but runner 44 is right. booze plus seltzer or straight booze is best. if you are comfortable consuming diet sodas, then that also would be a good option.
    flavored vodkas, as well as coconut rum have a significantly more sugar in them than their unflavored counterparts. that's why they are so yummy.

good luck!

madtown mom,

Thanks for the info on the vodka slushie. I thought I had read it was a club soda base with vodka and some lime juice. I didn't realize it had simple syrup in it.

Scotch and club soda is about as low cal as you can go.

At home, I do vodka, seltzer water and squirt some liquid crystal light in it. Very low carb.

When I go to Jamaica, I will have whatever I wish! Muah ha ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by Melvin76 View Post
    At home, I do vodka, seltzer water and squirt some liquid crystal light in it. Very low carb.

When I go to Jamaica, I will have whatever I wish! Muah ha ha ha
    I do similar, Rum, water and dasani coconut pinneaple drops really good!! I am the same on vacation, tropical fruity drinks are just too good to pass up

Quote Originally Posted by madtown mom View Post
    tonic has much more sugar than soda or juice.
    Tonic 32 g 12 oz
    Coke 39 g 12 oz
    OJ 39 g 12 oz

ok, so the recipes tend to be a general "idea" i have found. when i was at csa the bartender refused (nicely bc he thought i would hate the drink) to make a vodka slushie without the lime-simple syrup mix. i just wanted fresh limes squeezed in. i realize most people drink their drinks rather sweet. the slushie is less sweet already than most of their cocktails. however, i wanted no sugar.
    i eventually got it, and he stared at me in disbelief as i enjoyed my refreshing cocktail.
    he was very kind about it, just in case i am not clear about that

I don't concern myself with carbs, calories or anything else. I'm there to treat myself, indulge and have whatever I feel like. We eat and drink better at csa than at home so I just don't worry about it. I've scrimped and saved all year and it's our one big vacation and I will never worry about that stuff. Enjoy!

I would say you need to be careful if you on a low carb diet and drinking alcohol. Alcohol is still the byproduct of fermentation of sugar or starches (read carbohydrates), there's a reason Alcohol has calories, so you are still taking in energy that's only used before any glycogen stored. As a habit I abstained completely from alcohol when I was on a low carb diet. The occasional drink on low-carb is one thing, having multiple drinks each day is completely another.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast