Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Couples Resorts Management Tipping Note

Hi All, please note below regarding the tipping policy at Couples Resorts

We receive a lot of comments and inquiries about tipping.
    There are 3 good reasons why we have NO tipping policy at the hotel.

1. You already paid the tip. A portion of the room rate you are paying is set for gratuity.
    The employees are paid salary then an additional gratuity amount is added to their paycheck.
    2. Per above, everyone gets something - not only few employees that you as a guest happen to encounter.
    3. We want to make sure that every single guest receives same wonderful service during the stay and no one is singled out because they may not be able to tip.
    The best way to “tip”?
    Fill the comment card, let us know where we are doing great, where we need to improve because we want to welcome you back next year!
    And when you come back…everyone gets their tip
    Michelle Gordon
    ------------------
    On-Island Social Media Coordinator
    Couples Resorts

Thanks for clarification, now I wish and hope guests abide by the rules. Other guests I've encountered don't believe there is a program for all the employees. I'm glad you spelled it out for everyone. It should be introduced at checkin also.

Michelle:

Thanks for the clarification. I love couples and it's only 5 weeks until my 8th visit. There is one thing about tipping that I wish could be fixed. I go to couples for the stress reduction. I can go to a restaurant at couples and not have to worry about whether entree A is worth $5 more than entree B. I can just have what ever sounds good on a particular evening. For almost the entire visit I can put my wallet in the safe and not think about it.

There is one exception to this and this is the spa. My wife goes there a lot and go a couple times. But we have to take cash. It's the only place on the property where you need cash. There two possible solutions To this:

1. You could allow customers to charge a tip to there account so they won't need cash.

2. You could raise spa rates by 20 percent and ban tipping at the spa.

I'd prefer option 2, but either would be better than the current system.

John Hansen

Quote Originally Posted by softail19 View Post
    . It should be introduced at checkin also.
    Agreed. All the yokels with their Bubba Kegs sliding a dollar openly across the bar...ugh.

This is one of the things we love about Couples Resorts. We put the wallet in the safe and don't worry about packing small bills around for tips. I always make sure to make a special note on the comment card about outstanding staff members.

Totally agree softail; maybe they could explain the non tipping policy at check in for couples who haven't found this MB.

Does this no tipping policy also apply to the Spa?

I think a copy of this should be handed to every couple upon check in. Maybe too, though I'm not quite sure how, explain what could happen if a tip is seen being accepted. We constantly see on the boards, "I know we can't tip, but I did anyway". Not good.

I think maybe it should be mentioned, too. We've seen it happen more than once on each of our last 2 trips. Maybe it should also be reiterated to the staff as well. If approched with a "tipper" they could very easily explain it is not acceptable, and NOT accept it.
    Ronda and Doug
    COR Dec. 2007
    CTI Dec. 2009, Dec. 2015
    CSS Dec. 2008, Dec. 2012, Dec. 2014
    CN Dec. 2011, Dec. 2013

Ms. Michelle,

This cannot be made any more simple. I loved completing the comment cards, as well as giving random shout-outs through the websites letting the world know how happy we were when we stayed at CSA.

If the point isn't taken, maybe they do not respect the Couples philosophy.

Cheers!

Thanks Michelle for the post. The no tipping policy is also one of the things we love about Couples. I think it is great to not carry my wallet around. I agree with the posters above about explaining the policy at check in. Some people don't know there is no tipping. I have read many reviews on TA and people say they tip and it bothers me. I know that there will always be some that will tip because they always have and it comes naturally. We have never felt like we were given poor service or that we needed to. I would feel terrible if any employee lost their job because of a couple of dollars. As you know jobs are hard to find in Jamaica. Respect

I have seen staff turn down tips all the time....sometimes the guest is insistent. So as to not offend the guest, I saw the staff member simply set it aside and then give it to their manager so they don't get into trouble. I think that is a classy way for the staff to handle the situation.

Spa is not operated by Couples and can accept tips. I don't mind just bringing a $10 or $20 for my service. Lot easier than carrying around a bunch of singles like we did in Mexico.

Also...I appreciated that the gift policy was clarified a bit more on Facebook as well. I like the compromise of being able to give a gift as long as I am sure that staff member gets to keep it. I try and make it specific to the staff member so this is extremely important to me.
    Holly Irvin

Thank you for posting this! We absolutely love Couples and love that we don't need to carry around money and tip every time we get food or drinks. We have been going to Couples for 9 years and every year it seems like more and more people insist on tipping. Part of it being they didn't know and part of it is just arrogance of guests insisting on doing it because they don't respect Couples rule on tipping.

Not looking to stir up anything but I don't understand why you can give gifts ,but not cash. I understand and respect the reasons given for the no tipping policy, and I do like not having to worry about tipping all day. My question is what about the possibility of only being able to leave a cash gift ,clearly marked in an envelope at the END of your stay(maybe at check out) for those staff members that you would like to "gift". That way guests who want to "gift" cash instead of bath products, sports apparel, school supplies, candy, etc...can without it having any of the negative effects of tipping during stay. I myself believe staff would appreciate $ more and I certainly would rather do that. Just a thought...

I wish that the no tipping policy would have been explained to us at check-in on our first visit to Couples. Having been to many all inclusives in Mexico we were used to tipping. I shoved money at the staff like an idiot for 2 days before a fellow guest explained that tipping is not allowed. It was only then that I realized why the staff seemed so awkward when I shoved money at them. I really wish that they would explain the no tipping policy to guests when they checked in.

Non Couples employees that you get service from can be tipped. They include the driver who brings you to and from the resort, the spa employees, and the sunset catamaran workers from CN and CSA. Also, if you book any off site tours they are done by non Couples employees so tip accordingly.

Default No Tipping Should Mean Just That All Around

Quote Originally Posted by redy4vac View Post
    I think maybe it should be mentioned, too. We've seen it happen more than once on each of our last 2 trips. Maybe it should also be reiterated to the staff as well. If approched with a "tipper" they could very easily explain it is not acceptable, and NOT accept it.
    I wrote in a previous post that this policy should be printed and given to the guests, along with their room keys, when they check in.

Some people on the board seem not to understand that this is a Couples rule (policy) and they waste precious time arguing for being allowed to violate the rule.

On the other hand, when we were at CTI recently we saw the van driver to Dunns River Falls accepting tips surreptitiously; while another worker accepted on another occasion. The Couples management needs to remind its staff very forcefully about accepting these tips when offered.

Tipping goes on all the time. The guests who slip a few bucks to the staff receive exponentially better treatment. The look and demeanor of some of the bartenders is subtle yet unmistakable. I've watched servers turn into guests' BFF's after a quick flash of the green while the rest get a faraway look when ordering a drink or asking for suggestions on the best cocktails... This is a fact of life.

Quote Originally Posted by DontHateMe4BeingBeautiful View Post
    Tipping goes on all the time. The guests who slip a few bucks to the staff receive exponentially better treatment. The look and demeanor of some of the bartenders is subtle yet unmistakable. I've watched servers turn into guests' BFF's after a quick flash of the green while the rest get a faraway look when ordering a drink or asking for suggestions on the best cocktails... This is a fact of life.
    Nope. Not at Couples. We've always adhered to their No Tipping policy and received exceptional service. The only time in five trips that I've seen a guest shove a dollar at a bartender, the bartender looked appropriately disgusted.

We have not experienced any different treatment by the staff than those that we have observed tipping. I agree with putting it in writing & giving it to guests at check in. That is a great idea and might help some that might not realize that "no tipping" really does mean no tipping.

Then there are the guests that are perfectly aware of the policy but choose to ignore it. Note the TA review titled "Paradise in the Caribbean." This individual chose to ignore the policy and encourages others to do so "discreetly." Just don't understand why some guests have so little respect for Couples management and have to be so condescending toward staff. Why don't they just go to a resort where tipping is allowed? Maybe it's because they would be competing with guests who could offer larger tips to the staff, thereby ensuring better service.

Default Bending The 'No Tipping' Rule

Quote Originally Posted by Gin Mon View Post
    Then there are the guests that are perfectly aware of the policy but choose to ignore it. Note the TA review titled "Paradise in the Caribbean." This individual chose to ignore the policy and encourages others to do so "discreetly." Just don't understand why some guests have so little respect for Couples management and have to be so condescending toward staff. Why don't they just go to a resort where tipping is allowed? Maybe it's because they would be competing with guests who could offer larger tips to the staff, thereby ensuring better service.
    Here is the link to that TripAdviser post referred to by Gin Mon (and written by someone from La Crosse, Wisconsin, who visited CN): http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...h_Jamaica.html

Note where the TA writer encourages Couples guests to "please tip the staff that go above and beyond, but be discreet since it is against resort policy to accept gratuities."

It will be interesting to hear how the Couples management deals with things like this. Maybe, management should indicate how many times it has had to reprimand staff for accepting tips. Better yet: it should publish the number of times staff have been fired for taking these gratuities. Maybe, that would let guests who are so inclined see the extent to which they have been responsible for getting their loving Couples employees fired.

As I referred to this in a post above, "Some people on the board seem not to understand that this is a Couples rule (policy) and they waste precious time arguing for being allowed to violate the rule."
    Last edited by clydealp; March 5th, 2015 at 07:27 PM. Reason: To Correct Link

Tipping in violation of Couples' express policy, as well as the wishes of the vast majority of the other guests should be seen for what it really is: selfishness. It isn't about rewarding good service. It's a bribe in the hopes that it gets the tipper better service than everyone else. They can rationalize it all they want, but the reason that they do it is because it makes them feel special, and to h--l with everybody else. Do us all a favor and stay at a resort whose policies suit you.

Bubba Kegs LOL gotta love em!! I agree the policy should be spelled out at check in.
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisJamie View Post
    Agreed. All the yokels with their Bubba Kegs sliding a dollar openly across the bar...ugh.

I am in total agreement. This would have saved our embarrassment when my husband and I went to the spa and did not tip because we thought it was not allowed. Only to realize later we had made a mistake. After realizing this we now take our cash with us and tip appropriately. It would be most welcomed to have the tip included in the price. I am sure we are not the only ones who have made this mistake.
    Julie & Ric (Rhode Island)
    COR 1998, 2000, CN 2008, 2009, CSA 2013, CSA 2014, CTI 2015, CSS 2015

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast