Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CSS Peninsula

Default CSS Peninsula

I read a somewhat disturbing series of posts on Facebook last night regarding the peninsula at CSS that is between waterspots and SSB. People were talking about how the family that lives there/owns a portion of the land has started building some structure that was speculated to be a public bar. There was even discussion about parties that have been thrown on the private property that were loud and went well into the late night/early morning. And yet another large party that caused SSB to be closed to guests after sunset. This is disturbing considering in 30 days we will be there and have a beachfront room booked. I don't want our trip to be disturbed by late night parties. I also don't want to worry about safety on the Couples property. That was the biggest draw to us for returning back to CSS, we felt comfortable walking anywhere on the property any time of day or night including night time trips to SSB to swim in the pool/use the hot tub. Are we going to feel as comfortable this trip? Has the amount of "traffic" of non-resort guests increased in the vicinity of the peninsula? I'm hoping someone from management sees this and provides some information. Thanks!

Going to be there in 28 days and hope this isn't for real. Love the tranquility of CSS and would really be disappointed if some disrespectful neighbors took that away. Also hoping to see a response from management! Please...

Quote Originally Posted by Bart and Bug View Post
    Going to be there in 28 days and hope this isn't for real. Love the tranquility of CSS and would really be disappointed if some disrespectful neighbors took that away. Also hoping to see a response from management! Please...
    We are going to be there at the same time. 29 days for us!
    CSS 5/21-5/31/13
    CSS 4/12-4/24/15

Hopefully we'll see you while we're there. Thanks for keeping up the "April 2015" list of those that will be there also!

Quote Originally Posted by Bart and Bug View Post
    I agree! We're going to be there in 22 days and love walking around the property at night. The reason we refused to go to the Negril side was because the entire property at CSS was private (including the beach). I'd hate to see this ruined by some rowdy neighbors who have decided to open up a bar within the resort grounds. Hopefully someone from management can let us know what's going on sooner rather than later.

Dosent look like management is going to reply to this thread, hope its a rumor, I haven't seen anything else about this. 22 days for us.

We love CSS and usually go for Valentine's Day. This year we were there for Valentine's Day and the folks on the peninsula did have a big loud party. (We heard it at the spa) The music on the peninsula started early afternoon. Sunset Beach closed at 5 o'clock and their party moved to sunset beach. The music lasted until well after midnight. The CSS Valentine's Day entertainment scheduled for main lawn was moved to the balloon bar. Rumors were circulating that there had been a party in November as well. Couples staff was on the beach early the day after and did a great job putting the beach back to the way it always is.

Quote Originally Posted by South308 View Post
    We love CSS and usually go for Valentine's Day. This year we were there for Valentine's Day and the folks on the peninsula did have a big loud party. (We heard it at the spa) The music on the peninsula started early afternoon. Sunset Beach closed at 5 o'clock and their party moved to sunset beach. The music lasted until well after midnight. The CSS Valentine's Day entertainment scheduled for main lawn was moved to the balloon bar. Rumors were circulating that there had been a party in November as well. Couples staff was on the beach early the day after and did a great job putting the beach back to the way it always is.
    Thanks for the first hand report! Wish management would acknowledge that there is an issue and at least try to calm people's fears by saying it's being addressed somehow. The silence is deafening.
    CSS 5/21-5/31/13
    CSS 4/12-4/24/15

We were there in December and I will confirm that they were building a structure what looked like a house, you can see it well on the nature walk. They also built a fence to block off the part of the beach they own. Couples staff told me that there was tension between them, Couples over the beach area and that there free power was cut off from the resort as a result. There was no parties when we were there and the people who owned the home were friendly when we said hi to them along the nature walk.

Quote Originally Posted by ice_blue48 View Post
    We were there in December and I will confirm that they were building a structure what looked like a house, you can see it well on the nature walk. They also built a fence to block off the part of the beach they own. Couples staff told me that there was tension between them, Couples over the beach area and that there free power was cut off from the resort as a result. There was no parties when we were there and the people who owned the home were friendly when we said hi to them along the nature walk.
    We were there Feb. 4-10, 2015 and can confirm what you saw/heard. In addition, during our stay, there was one day that the property owners had some large construction equipment (i.e., translation = bulldozer category equipment) on their site and were literally ripping and tearing out trees for an entire day. We actually feared for the peacock that it might wander too close and become a mass of colorful flat feathers beneath a fallen tree. We talked to the property's goat and kittens whenever we walked past and they were for the most part friendly. There is also a new fence running N-S behind the waterfront office to section off Couples portion of the beach from the other property. The fence was not there in February 2014 and it does not extend all the way to the water, so you can still walk the beach over to the rocks on the west side.

Does anyone have any pictures of what these people are doing and building? One of the biggest draws for us was how private this resort was, and that the only people there were other registered Couples guests. From what I have been reading this does not sound appealing at all !! Also how do we know these people aren't making their way all over the resort?

Quote Originally Posted by ice_blue48 View Post
    We will be returning in less than a week, and I will confirm when we return, but what you are describing has been there every year, with no change to it, in our 5 years of visiting.

What part of which beach is owned by the peninsula people? There were rumors a couple of years ago that Couples was going to purchase the peninsula and expand CSS. Wish that were the case! 22 sleeps and counting...
    CN 2003, 2006, 2013
    CSS 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014
    There's no place like home in Jamaica!

Quote Originally Posted by rrallen View Post
    What part of which beach is owned by the peninsula people? There were rumors a couple of years ago that Couples was going to purchase the peninsula and expand CSS. Wish that were the case! 22 sleeps and counting...
    They would own a small frontage on the west end of the main/textile beach. However, it is my understanding that beaches in Jamaica are public to some point where you can still walk along the waters edge even if it is in front of another property - you would of course be required to have legal access to some part of that beachfront to begin with which you have as a guest of Couples. Please correct if I misspeak.
    Last edited by Splash Monkey; March 19th, 2015 at 04:45 PM.

We just got back Tuesday. A structure was built on the other side of the new fence next to the water sports building. A private wedding (locals) was held there in front of the structure down on the beach (not SSB) while we were there. Plans are for this to become a bar. We were fortunate enough to experience Nine Night (wake) on the property when one of the old sisters passed away a year or so ago. Good people...family very gracious to us...we had an amazing time. Let me rephrase that it was an experience of a lifetime that we will never forget and few will ever experience. The bar might actually be a neat thing...an opportunity to go off property without ever really leaving to experience a little local culture. Not necessarily a bad thing. Certainly Couples will step up security. Be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Cpanddp, while the new "bar" might be a way to experience a little local culture, I'm more concerned about how the new bar's patrons will be able to access the bar and how Couples will be able to maintain it's customer's safety. I personally love knowing that we can walk the grounds in the wee hours of the morning if we want without having to worry about some local wandering around after tipping a few at the new local bar....
    CSS 2010
    CSS 2013
    CSS 2014
    CSS 2015

Can someone post some pictures of whats going on with this property. It would be very helpful to see whats changed with the new fence and building.

We were there last week and were not sure what was going on with the construction. Thanks for the info. My question is to wonder how the owners get to their piece of property? Do they drive through Couples main gate? If they open a bar how would the public get to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlove View Post
    We were there last week and were not sure what was going on with the construction. Thanks for the info. My question is to wonder how the owners get to their piece of property? Do they drive through Couples main gate? If they open a bar how would the public get to it?
    That's exactly what I've been wondering!

Have you ever been for a bike ride around the pond? Part of that trail is an access road off the main road. It goes around the pond, past SSB and the peninsula, and seemingly onto Couples property. You can see the road on Google maps.

Quote Originally Posted by T&C2014 View Post
    Does anyone have any pictures of what these people are doing and building? One of the biggest draws for us was how private this resort was, and that the only people there were other registered Couples guests. From what I have been reading this does not sound appealing at all !! Also how do we know these people aren't making their way all over the resort?

This is the only photo I could find... not sure if this is the fence the other poster was talking about...

Name:  diving.jpg
Views: 1802
Size:  30.6 KB

There is also a secondary road between the main resort and SSB. They use this road when setting up and tearing down the gala and beach party. The road runs right past the entrance to SSB, and the driveway to the private property branches off from this road. My guess is this is how the public would end up getting to the bar if it were to get built
    Is this Love that I'm feelin'?

CSS March 2013, April/May 2014
    CN April 2014

Quote Originally Posted by South308 View Post
    This is not right at all! It is one thing to have a party on your own property... But then to move your whole party onto SSB, which to my knowledge never "closes" it only becomes clothing optional, and is still owned by couples property... Where was the security guard that watches SSB at night to make sure locals stay off? And then Couples staff had to clean up their mess the next morning. That is not right. And then they are so loud that you can hear it clear over at the spa. Couples should have said something. And it upsets me that instead of saying something to the locals, they just moved the entertainment from the main lawn to the balloon terrace, which is not even a quarter the size. Does Jamaica have noise ordinances? I really hope something like this does not happen when we are there. It will really make me reconsider CSS for our next years trip.
    Is this Love that I'm feelin'?

CSS March 2013, April/May 2014
    CN April 2014

When is someone from management going to comment on this situation?

I found another photo... but do have a comment regarding the alleged parties and cleanup on the west-end SSBeach. Perhaps the CSS management and the property owners agreed to the closing and use of the SSB as a negotiation tactic. And by moving CSS's entertainment from the main lawn to the Balloon Bar, was to keep the the two separate events just that ~ separate.

Just a thought.

Name:  activities.jpg
Views: 1506
Size:  41.2 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast