Default Rum Cream update

Came home through MoBay yesterday and the Duty Free shops had no large bottles of Sangster's rum cream. They had the little bottles or the large banana rum cream. We ended up buying 2x1L bottles of Wray & Nephew rum cream (and 4 little bottles of Sangster's that we picked up in the CN gift shop). If Sangster's is a "must" then you might want to try to find it elsewhere. A Duty Free staff member told me that while they do get regular shipments of the Sangster's, it goes fast and is frequently out of stock.

I don't take a chance so I buy it at the resort. We may pay more but I'm not taking that chance.

We were at CTI a week ago and they had the regular size bottles in the Gift Shop. $25 I think. Saw the same thing as Bert at MoBay. Small bottles only.

The Sangsters Rum Cream that I buy in Jamaica never seems to last until my next trip to paradise.

Unfortunately, Sangsters (the Jamaican brand) isn't sold in the US so after going online and trying many recipes, tweaking this, removing that, I found what is the closest in flavor to the Sangster's brand. It makes an excellent gift as most people aren't familiar with it.

Serves: makes 1 quart
    Prep Time: 5 Min
    Ingredients
    14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
    1-1 1/4 c amber rum (appleton's is what i use)
    1 c cream or half and half
    3 Tbsp chocolate syrup
    2 Tbsp fresh brewed coffee
    1 tsp real vanilla extract
    1 tsp coconut extract

Directions

Mix all ingredients in a blender and run on a low setting for a minute, just long enough to blend. Not too long or the cream will begin to peak.
    Refrigerate for an hour for flavors to blend. Serve over ice, in coffee, over ice cream, or in any way one would use Irish cream. It has the same texture but not the bite of whiskey. Keeps for 2 weeks in the fridge, I'm told. It never stays around long enough at our house!

That recipe sounds interesting, Mad Jack. Just the sort of thing for Bert and me to try on a rainy day.

Two reasons why I prefer to get the rum cream at the airport instead of the gift shop are 1 - it is much cheaper at the airport and 2 - you can take it as carry on, instead of packing it in your luggage and risking your suitcase being overweight. We did get a bunch of little bottles in the gift shop to burn up some of the resort credit we had (record breaking, for us, this year at $550, I'm sure Bert will tell that story on another thread), but with the little bottles you can distribute them into separate bags, breaking up the weight. (we checked our suitcase and both carry ons on the way home this past trip)

Our rum cream usage at home increased dramatically last year with the discovery of the Nutty Jamaican (equal parts rum cream and Frangelico, shaken, with ice, and served over ice. YUM!)

We always go to the gas station just outside CSS. We are able to find the rum cream (and other adult beverages) at a cheaper price and pick up some other soft drinks and candy not available at resort

Madjack,
    I agree with your recipe 100% including the part about how long it lasts. The only thing I would add is to be sure to shake well before serving, the cream tends to rise and the sugar tends to drop while refrigerated.

Some thoughts FWIW.

Appleton, Wray & Nephew, Sangter's, are all now wholly owned (for over a year) by Campari of Italy, along with 40 Creek Rye (some of the best distilled rye whisky in the world) of Grimsby. Ontario.

I suspect that the lack of Sangster's Rum Cream and proliferation of Wray & Nephew Rum Cream is due to the amalgamation of the Sangster product under the Wray & Nephew brand.

Can anyone confirm? Does the Wray & Nephew brand taste the same, better or worse?
    Tom & Erin 23x CSA Veterans
    Officially Janadian

Don't worry about a thing, 'cuz every little thing is gonna be all right...
    Robert Nesta Marley

Mad Jack
    Thank you so much for your post, We missed our April trip this year to CSA and have been going through withdrawal for rum cream. As soon as I saw your post I ran to the store and purchased all the ingredients. I got home and realized I did not have RUM.... Sunday's in North Carolina we cannot purchase liqueur.. so close.. Called all friends close by and last one had some dark rum. Could not wait for the 2 hours to pass for all the flavors to blend... I melted on the 1st sip. very good. THANK YOU

Wray & Nephew is not as good (to me) as Sangster's.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom & Erin View Post
    Some thoughts FWIW.

Appleton, Wray & Nephew, Sangter's, are all now wholly owned (for over a year) by Campari of Italy, along with 40 Creek Rye (some of the best distilled rye whisky in the world) of Grimsby. Ontario.

I suspect that the lack of Sangster's Rum Cream and proliferation of Wray & Nephew Rum Cream is due to the amalgamation of the Sangster product under the Wray & Nephew brand.

Can anyone confirm? Does the Wray & Nephew brand taste the same, better or worse?
    We just got back from Jamaica yesterday. Because of some friends we met this year, I am now addicted to rum cream on ice. They normally served Wray & Nephew, which was great, but one day they had a bottle of Sangsters for us, which is heaven in your mouth!!

On a similar rum cream note, we were worried about the airport not having any, so we used our resort credits to buy a few bottles of both sizes of Sangsters. We got to the airport about 3:45pm, and both duty free areas were completely stocked of all flavors. Also, the smaller bottles are actually more expensive at the airport than at CSS!!
    Is this Love that I'm feelin'?

CSS March 2013, April/May 2014
    CN April 2014