Hybrid View

Default Duty free liquor and STEBs

Has anyone had any experience with STEBs (Security Tamper Evident Bags) when you have bought liquor from the duty free stores? I just saw some information on the TSA website that said beginning January 31, 2014, international passengers with connecting flights no longer have to move their duty free liquids to their checked baggage, so long as they are placed in STEBs.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/3-1-1-carry-ons

http://www.icao.int/security/SFP/LAG...s/default.aspx

I usually visit the board regularly, and am very surprised that I have not seen any previous threads about this. This will be EXTREMELY helpful for those of us, (like myself and my wife) who like to buy rum, rum creme, and other Jamaican goodies at the duty free shops.

So, has anyone had any experience with these bags? How do you get them? How have they worked? How much can you fit in them? Can you have more than one of them? Do you have to pay for them? If you are putting multiple bottles in a bag, do they give you some sort of bubble wrap to keep the bottles from banging together during flight?

Also, I know there is no limit to bringing back rum creme, but what about Tia Maria? Does that count toward your limit? Or, does anyone know a good online store to buy some for cheap?

Thanks for all your help and answers!!
    Is this Love that I'm feelin'?

CSS March 2013, April/May 2014
    CN April 2014

Recent travelers have said MoBay Duty Free shops do NOT yet have the STEBs. You'd think since the change was enacted over a year ago, they would get with the program… We will check this out in person next week and give an update if we find this to be different.
    As we are not counting on STEBs, we will do the old stand-by: Roll the bottle in bubble-wrap, place in a double-plastic bag (ziploc-type 2 gallon work well), and place in the checked bag with lots of clothes around them. We can usually bring back 4 bottles of Rum Cream this way.

Quote Originally Posted by FlynnStone View Post
    Recent travelers have said MoBay Duty Free shops do NOT yet have the STEBs. You'd think since the change was enacted over a year ago, they would get with the program… We will check this out in person next week and give an update if we find this to be different.
    As we are not counting on STEBs, we will do the old stand-by: Roll the bottle in bubble-wrap, place in a double-plastic bag (ziploc-type 2 gallon work well), and place in the checked bag with lots of clothes around them. We can usually bring back 4 bottles of Rum Cream this way.
    Well Flynn, you've probably unpacked by now. I hope you haven't forgotten us. Any sign of these?

I will say that as of of October 30th, 2014 they did not have them in the duty free liquor shops. We had ours put in a box, then had to transfer it to luggage at Baltimore before going through customs. Would like to see them though, for sure.

Just got back, no STEBS at MoBay. Had to put the Rum Cream in our bags when we reached Orlando (flew via Southwest). While the Duty Free shops have been renovated, the packing (cardboard boxes with packing tape) is still the same.

I've learned from other contacts that, as of March 30, they're still not available for use at MBJ.

We just got back as well and had to put our rum cream into our checked bag when we arrived in Atlanta. The cardboard box held up nicely though, but it had to be stowed away.