Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sand Gravity and patience...what's it about?

I see lots of posts about sand gravity which sounds amazingly like relaxation in a big way. I'm all for it. One thing I see a lot is to be patient and let the island vibe catch me. I tend to be a very punctual person. Since I've seen posts about some activities not being on time, etc. I wonder if anyone like me has had any problem adjusting to island time. Someone noted it may take a day or two. Does anyone have an experience to share? Also is anyone going to be at CN end of May-first of June?

Personally I tend to plan everything, I seem to need a heads up if we go on a trip, or even dinner. My work tends to make me that way! And I do the same thing with our vacations down south. I am the one that researches, get answers to questions I have about a country or resort and eventually I also choose the resort (luckly I'm 4 for 4 with my resort picking with the wife!!). Sometimes I'm worried I over research and lose the surprise my wife seems to get when we visit a place for the first time. But fortunatley I am able to switch off when I collect my luggage at the airport of destination!! I am officially on vacation and other then booking our dinners and Couples activities, I don't wear a watch or care the time of day. I drink when I'm thirsty (Always thirsty!!) eat when I'm hungry and sleep when I need a nap!! We just love to escape for a week and not have any responsibilities, I think most people do the same, we all deserve it!! CSA in 44 more days!!

At most, you will need an hour to adjust to island time, most of that hour will be spent in a minivan, driving from the airport to the resort. Relax, look at the scenery, talk to the Repeaters, and enjoy the chauffeured ride to paradise.

Sand gravity is a force of nature that exists on any beach, anywhere in the world. It increases the psychological mass of your body, dependent on a number of factors illustrated in the equation below:

Sg = Aw * Ep / Dph

Where Sg (a factor) is Sand Gravity, Aw is your actual weight in kilograms, Ep is the distance to the Equator in miles and Dph the number of alcoholic beverages (drinks) you had per hour (average). Once you calculate the Sg factor, you then lay down on a Couples lounge chair with a floaty and beach towel, and contemplate the accuracy of island mathematics and it's relationship to the odd pull on your head towards the center of the earth until someone brings you a fresh beverage and then repeat, adjusting the Dph as necessary and allowing for meals to affect your Aw.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

You know sand gravity is working when you realize the sun is going down and itís time to head back to the room to shower and go to dinner and the day went by way too fast.
    Life is good

I remember the first time at Swept Away, it took a couple of days, and a few deep breaths, to unwind. Some of this was due to all being new, and seeing things for the first time, and wanting to know as much as possible, as quickly as possible, so that no time would be wasted trying to find your way around, and maybe miss something! That cranks me up just writing that. Now, after a few times, I start to relax at Sangster, as soon as the plane lands. We get to the resort, and just step into the "time". One trick that helps is to purposely make yourself walk slow. Oh, and maybe a few cold Red Stripes!!! I'll be holding one of those any day now!!!

Start each day with a Bloody Mary or a Mimosa, or maybe even a Bob Marley shot if you are really uptight. You'll lose all track of time, and any concept of punctuality.

Tkister - I think you can make your punctuality work for you. Get to the pool bar at 10:00 a.m. sharp (see that puncuality cue there? ). Have a dirty banana (ask for a splash of over-proof on top). Find a chair on the beach, sit back and enjoy your dirty banana and ponder the notion of sand gravity. Repeat as necessary.

Before long you will be an expert!

Looks like we'll be there the same time as you. Our first couple of visits to Jamaica, everything felt slow-motion. WE have since become sand rats, and sand gravity is a very real thing. The more you go, the less you feel the disorientation of island time however. I suggest returning to Couples as often as you can for best results!

I laughed when I saw this post. I completely understand where you're coming from. I not only tend to be punctual but try to get from point A to B as fast as possible. Run Run Run. That being said there is something that happens to you when you're in Jamaica. You actually relax and realize you don't have to be anywhere fast. (Except maybe the airport but that's a different post altogether) So what if the boat is late. Where is it you need to be? Just go grab a cocktail and park yourself on the beach till it arrives. Enjoy the view. Do some people watching. It usually takes me till day 3 to really relax and get into the vibe. All of a sudden I'll realize I'm kicking back and not really worrying about anything except what my next drink might be. (Decisions...decisions....) One thing we do to expedite this feeling is get a couples massage the very first day. Helps relieve some of the tension and kick start the whole relaxation process. CN is a beautiful resort and the beach is amazing. I'm sure you'll be able to kick back and relax in no time. Everyting is Irie in Jamaica! Have a great time!
    CN 2003, 2006, 2013
    CSS 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014
    There's no place like home in Jamaica!

Tkister,
    I never have a quiet mind and I did not believe that a vacation in Jamaica would change that. On our first visit, I had planned sightseeing activities and exploration. We arrived in Montego Bay late on a Friday afternoon...it was hot and then a 2 hour drive to Ocho Rios and Couples San Souci. Attended the Gala dinner and got some much needed sleep after a travel day. Walked over to Sunset Beach and took a long look at the immediate surroundings and of course the ocean. My mind immediately became quiet and my feet felt heavy. Got my lounge chair and my hubby asked what I wanted from the bar......my response was HUH? He then asked where my mind was and all I could think was that the ocean was very blue...that was an 8 day trip and I never left the beach. On a second trip, very similar feel although I was READY this time....I brought an inflatable floatie and my own snorkel gear....floated and snorkeled and again, never left the beach...10 days that time and little urge to leave. Met the local Rasta and took a trip down the White River with him....10 more days coming to us in October and I do not plan to busy my thoughts with anything but the beach. Life is good, take in all of the beauty around you, adjust to Island time (some patience will be required)...yeah mon and relax.
    Gene and Jeanne
    CSS October 2012
    CSS October 2013
    CSS October 2014....Soon come!!

First and foremost, either leave your watch at home, or take it off as soon as you land in Jamaica. Use your room clock only to be on time for dinner reservation, spa appointment, snorkeling,,etc. It will take you less than a day to relax and realize the clock doesn't matter otherwise.

DO continuously reapply sunscreen though and watch sun exposure so you don't burn, though!

I sent this out to a few couples who will be joining us on our next trip to CSA:

"So...I have noticed that everyone who have booked or getting ready to book are also thinking of alllllllll the other things you want to do in Jamaica! Which is great and oh so wonderful, but I do feel the need to share with you about this little phenomenon called "Sand Gravity"! It's what you will surely experience the moment your bare feet touch the powdery white sand of 7-mile beach...

Now here's my own personal definitions of Sand Gravity as I know it:

1. The part of the Jamaican vibe that overcomes my soul when I'm there.
    2. The invisible force that is created once a person takes their place on a sun lounger, in my case on 7 Mile Beach.
    3. How lazy one gets when sitting on the beach... you tend to not want to do as much as you thought you would...
    4. The inability to do nothing more then remain lounging on the beach all day, only getting up to:
    a) cool off in the sea or float on a floatie
    b) grab a snack or a meal (because beverages are brought to you)
    c) to go to the bathroom
    5. All other plans, no matter how well thought out become much less important and even forgotten, planned excursions are put off for another day.
    6. A content feeling, a total state of comfort and relaxation.

One of the benefits of 7 Mile Beach are the various vendors that just go walking by on the water line. It is also a very interesting place to people watch, but thatís definitely its own topic. This easy access and availability then creates an amazing phenomenon where by, should you wish, you donít even have to leave your chair to find something to eat or purchase a craft or even arrange one of those excursions that you want to take one of these days. This, I believe, adds greatly to the magnetic pull of the Sand Gravity.

The other great sights are the crafts and items for sale by various people. It is such a varying mix; anything from handmade jewelry, carvings and paintings, to hats, bandanas, flip-flops and clothing for sale. Local shows are even advertised via megaphone, ďItís going to be hot, hot, hotĒ, so planning a night out is simple enough. Given my addiction to Jamaica, and in particular Negril, I gave up the fight against Sand Gravity and have accepted that it is a part of my trips. I have enough of a worry over getting my Jamaican fix that stressing about completing one more list is just not worth it.

Example of your week experiencing Sand Gravity:

Day 1** Hey look at the parasail, we gotta do that! (Proceeds to lounger under a Palm and watches the other parasailers).
    Day 2** Hey lets book that tour for the Horses & the Ziplines. Okay, we'll get to it later...
    Day 3** You know, I want to do the scuba thing this week. Okay, but let's start with snorkeling... from the beach...
    Day 4** That boat ride looks fun, but it is kinda wavy. Lets get some lunch and a nap and then do it ...
    Day 5** Hey, todays the best sunny day ever! Cancel that tour, I'm headed to the beach!
    Day 6** Last full day: I ain't going nowhere, I'm enjoying this day from right here in our spot...
    Day 7** Exit day. Long pants on (Dead man walking) Glance from the lobby to the beach and say " Man, if I had one more day, I would just sit on that beach and suck up every minute"...

So, with all that said...plan all the activities you want to do, but be aware that beach happens and you might end up doing NOTHING at all and it's OK"!

Swept Away Nov/Dec 08'
    Swept Away Jun 10'
    Swept Away Oct 11'
    Swept Away Jun 15'
    (Long time coming after vacationing in 8 other countries...it's time to return home)!

I wish there was a "LIKE" button, great answers !

Well done fawnridge! Perfect!

I fell into the Jamaica vibe for most part as soon as we hit the Couples lounge at the air port. It really hit when we got out of the van and they said welcome home. There was such a feeling of relaxation around, everyone was happy. We loved it so much we booked a trip while we were there then when we got home we said 17 months was much to long to wait. so we are 22 days away from at short 5 day trip that we had to book because the sand gravity is pulling at us. You will have the time of you life there and I haven't even been to CN. I just know because it is Couples and most of all because it is Jamaica.

Quote Originally Posted by fawnridge View Post
    At most, you will need an hour to adjust to island time, most of that hour will be spent in a minivan, driving from the airport to the resort. Relax, look at the scenery, talk to the Repeaters, and enjoy the chauffeured ride to paradise.

Sand gravity is a force of nature that exists on any beach, anywhere in the world. It increases the psychological mass of your body, dependent on a number of factors illustrated in the equation below:

Sg = Aw * Ep / Dph

Where Sg (a factor) is Sand Gravity, Aw is your actual weight in kilograms, Ep is the distance to the Equator in miles and Dph the number of alcoholic beverages (drinks) you had per hour (average). Once you calculate the Sg factor, you then lay down on a Couples lounge chair with a floaty and beach towel, and contemplate the accuracy of island mathematics and it's relationship to the odd pull on your head towards the center of the earth until someone brings you a fresh beverage and then repeat, adjusting the Dph as necessary and allowing for meals to affect your Aw.
    Hahaha! Great formula!

I concur with Jeannew. I always plan on doing more activities, they all sound fun but...I just never seem to get around to them. Too fine of a time sunning, people watching, swimming and reading on the beach. I snicker a little when posters obsess over the activity schedules as if the entire trip needs to be scheduled down to the minute. My purpose on these vacations is to get off of that treadmill and warm Jamaican beaches fit that bill to a T.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamaican Wifey View Post
    Day 7** Exit day. Long pants on (Dead man walking) Glance from the lobby to the beach and say " Man, if I had one more day, I would just sit on that beach and suck up every minute"...
    Our first trip was 7 days. When we were planning the next one, I said to my wife "you know that feeling on the last day? 'I wish we had just one more day.' Let's add the extra day, so when we get to that point, we DO have one more day." So now we go for 8 days each April(ish).

Related to the recent "is the room upgrade worth it" discussion: only you can answer that question. Is the extra day worth it? YOU BETCHA!

Fawn must be a scientist!!! Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamaican Wifey View Post
    Example of your week experiencing Sand Gravity:

Day 1** Hey look at the parasail, we gotta do that! (Proceeds to lounger under a Palm and watches the other parasailers).
    Day 2** Hey lets book that tour for the Horses & the Ziplines. Okay, we'll get to it later...
    Day 3** You know, I want to do the scuba thing this week. Okay, but let's start with snorkeling... from the beach...
    Day 4** That boat ride looks fun, but it is kinda wavy. Lets get some lunch and a nap and then do it ...
    Day 5** Hey, todays the best sunny day ever! Cancel that tour, I'm headed to the beach!
    Day 6** Last full day: I ain't going nowhere, I'm enjoying this day from right here in our spot...

So, with all that said...plan all the activities you want to do, but be aware that beach happens and you might end up doing NOTHING at all and it's OK"!

Preach it sista!

I didn't realize anyone was watching our behavior so closely.
    Happy & Safe Travels!

=

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Our first trip was 7 days. When we were planning the next one, I said to my wife "you know that feeling on the last day? 'I wish we had just one more day.' Let's add the extra day, so when we get to that point, we DO have one more day." So now we go for 8 days each April(ish).

Related to the recent "is the room upgrade worth it" discussion: only you can answer that question. Is the extra day worth it? YOU BETCHA!
    Bert I know that horrible feeling all to well. We board the bus like going to a funeral no one speaks but the driver..... I too have added another day to our holiday! I'm hoping I will avoid that feeling, I'm sure to be wrong but I can hope!

I'm smiling reading all these responses. Love it.

Sand Gravity is very real, and very strong. It's amazing You'll find by day 3 or 4 that your best laid plans fall to the wayside and all you'll want to do is sit on the beach or hang in the pool. As for the "patience" thing, it's true, there is such a thing as "island time". Things just move slower down there, but once the sand gravity kicks in, you won't care. I am one who is punctual and hates when things run late, but I can honestly say that it's never bothered me while I've been at Couples. Go, kick back, and relax! No worries mon!

Sg = Aw * Ep / Dph

No offense meant......BUT,

This can't possibly be right. My empirical evidence shows that Sg increases as DPH increases! Not the other way around.

For us it's more like:

Sg = 700 (Aw/Ep) * DPH ^2. Wife says Sg is definitely proportional to the square of the DPH.

Sg = Aw * Ep / Dph

Major flaw with your formula - You can't divide by zero.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast