Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Things I should have left at home.....

We're going to be coming to CSA in 2015 and would like to try to get a thread going on what items everyone brought with them to Couples and turned out they really never needed or used. I'm trying to pack light and get everything in one bag and a carryon =)

I should leave about 1/2 my shirts, 1 pair of shorts and 1 pair of flip flops. I could make do with a carry on, if I knew how to get sunscreen there, and then how to get my booze back, which since we change planes, requires a suitcase. But, it's my vacation and I pack what I want. Is good mon!

(From a man's point of view)
    You are going to spend most of the time in a bathing suit, t-shirt, and flip-flops. Bring lots of them (not the flip-flops) because nothing every dries; it's just too humid. You'll want shorts and casual shirts for dinner, and flip-flops. Go commando and you can leave the tighty-whiteys at home. Unless you're going to the sports center, you won't need socks or sneakers, but bring one pair just in case you can overcome sand gravity. If you plan on going to Feathers, you'll need closed-toe shoes and a pair of long pants. Pack extra sunscreen and a hat.

(From a woman's point of view)
    Carry-on bag? Are you kidding?
    Ricky Ginsburg
    On the web, always open

Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

What about bug spray in May? I was at CN in May of 2005 (and will be back in May of this year). I do not remember bugs being any sort of an issue at all. Is that still the same? For anyone who has been there in the spring/early summer, would you recommend bringing bug spray to CN?
    Doug & Rebecca
    Mankato, Minnesota

You can contact me through my website : RaynbowsRagdoll

I'd say clothes if you were going to CN, CSS or CTI. We packed waayy to many clothes because we only had them on for breakfast and dinner!
    CSS 2010
    CSS 2013
    CSS 2014

We work out regularly, and always bring some workout sportswear with us. Then we don't work out while we're there. Ever. Still, the stuff is light, and one of these years we'll have an all day rain event that will motivate us to hit the sports complex.

Kurt and Angela
    CN 2011, 2013 and 2015
    CSS 2014

Quote Originally Posted by kurt and angie View Post
    love thanks!

Everyones different but in 8 trips to Jamaica,#9 next month, I've never used bug spray. Will you see an occasional mosquito? Yes but I hate that stuff and we live in mosquito dense Minnesota. The sand fleas do love me though and I seem to forget to bring something for those little buggers. I've read skin so soft works well from Avon but darned if I know an Avon lady. I'm going to do some research on that. I don't think I'll ever be able to do the carry on thing but I/we have cut way back.

Quote Originally Posted by softail19 View Post
    Everyones different but in 8 trips to Jamaica,#9 next month, I've never used bug spray. Will you see an occasional mosquito? Yes but I hate that stuff and we live in mosquito dense Minnesota. The sand fleas do love me though and I seem to forget to bring something for those little buggers. I've read skin so soft works well from Avon but darned if I know an Avon lady. I'm going to do some research on that. I don't think I'll ever be able to do the carry on thing but I/we have cut way back.
    Softail19, I too in the past have had a terrible time with sand flea bites. One year I literally had 100's of bites that itched to no end. I read here on this message board about vitamin B1 making your skin have a scent the sand fleas don't like. I am not one who usually puts any stock in "home remedies" but I figured it was worth a shot. Last year before going to CSS I took a B1 everyday starting 2 weeks before we left and everyday while were there. I did not have a single bite last year. Was it taking the B1 that helped, I have no idea but you can bet I will start taking it again very soon as we leave for CSS in 29 days. We also are from MN so very familiar to our "state bird" the mosquito and while I have seen them in Jamaica they haven't been a problem. We do take some bug spray with us OFF makes a repellent that uses and smells like the skin so soft and that's what we pack.

Softail....I can attest that there were plenty of mosquitos at CSS in late Feb/early March. I'm still scratching these damn bites after being home for 2 weeks! I did take bug wipes I purchased from Avon and used them plenty on my legs but tended to forget the upper portion of my arms and back of my shoulders. It seemed to work great for the sand fleas, but I also made a conscious effort to stay out of the sand after dark. The mosquitos were very small and did not make any noise like the ones I'm sure you have in MN and we have in WI. I actually never felt one of them bite me but I did see them (obviously quite after the fact). Suffice it to say, I have 50+ bites
    CSS 2010
    CSS 2013
    CSS 2014

I also have a horrible time with sand fleas and had to make a trip to the clinic after returning from our last trip. I've learned that fleas bite everyone, but only a few react strongly to them. I'm sure it's genetic - my sister also has this problem and now takes an antihistamine the week before and during the trip. She swears by this, so I'm going to give it a try. Staying off the beach during the late afternoon and early morning helps a lot.
    We are also from Minnesota, but mosquitos are nothing next to these pests! I really HATE them!!
    Jan and Mark
    CN 2009
    CSA 2011
    CSA 2013
    CSS 2014

I'm not saying there aren't mosquitos by any means, didn't mean to imply that. We've never had a problem with them . They must be there if they put citronella candles in the rooms!
    Mnrasta and dawi, thank you for the tips! Those flea bites seam to ich forever too, miserable! That's the one drawback of going on that beach at night dang

Kind of funny about the sand fleas, the days I forgot to put on Skin so Soft, I use it normally, not saying it prevents, I got bit up at the Beach Grill Bar at CN in the afternoons around 5 or so. I had been sitting there since about 4 and all at once YoWsir, itching to beat the band. First time I ever have had issues of any kind, but like I say for some reason I was not using skin so soft like I normally do, old age maybe?

Bug spray. Never used it. Get off the bench when the sun goes down. If not, bring it.

Three bathing suits was fine. I do like to swim at sunrise, So Im using at least two a day.

Bring an extension cord. The outlets in the ocean veranda are hard to get to.

Is the beach dinner down in the sand or us it on the lawn in front of A and B blocks? After many trips to Jamaica we also stay off the beach after dark and having dinner in the sand after dark is just asking for it. I know that insect repellent helps, but some folks don't like to rub poison all over their skin before going to dinner.
    Thanks!

I only wear a tshirt to go eat. So whatever shirt I wear at night I'll usually throw back on for breakfast and lunch the next day. I wear a pair of shorts on the plane and pack a spare. I pack a pair of pants and a dress shirt for Feathers. I bring just enough sunscreen and whatever I have left I leave at the resort.

Rhallva, the beach party IS in the sand at csa, unless there is bad weather. Then it's at the Palms. At css, I think it was on the lawn.

Hey Sub, Hope you're not having dinner at a table near me if all you are wearing is a T shirt. If so, at least put a towel down!!

Default So true!!

Quote Originally Posted by dawi View Post
    I'd say clothes if you were going to CN, CSS or CTI. We packed waayy to many clothes because we only had them on for breakfast and dinner!
    I love this....it is SO TRUE!!! Thanks for my morning giggle!!

We just got back from CSA. We absolutely loved our week there. We stayed on the beach to watch the sunset almost every night and also did the dinner on the beach one evening. We did not experience any bug bites at all.

Softtail.Try Cactus Juice sun and skin outdoor protectant. Got it at Amazon. Everyone was ate up last year and we were protected no problems! I have often wondered if your name has anything to do with the bike you ride?

Flat iron, make up, and heels. I have THICK naturally curly hair that I flat iron daily. I didn't bring my diffuser or curl enhancing products. I brought my sleek hair products. My hair would NOT blow dry or do anything except curl. Lesson learned. I also only wore eyeliner and mascara at night. I won't bring heels next time.
    44 days!

OK, we have been on the 'pack lightly' bandwagon for the last several trips so I'm really with you on this. One carry on and one checked is IT. The carry on is mainly gifts for people there on the way and enough Jamaican coffee to make it to the next trip on the way back. Swimsuits and coverups, beach dresses, swim shorts and tshirts and something nice to wear when you go to the nice restaurants, one or two MAYBE nice shorts sets if you want to an excursion. Sunblock, powder, antibiotic cream in case you DO get a bug bite, seriously, you don't need much stuff. The craziest threads I've ever seen are the ones where folks try to list all the things they pack. Seriously? We did do it with two carry-ons once but the sunscreen bottles etc, had to be so small, that it just wasn't worth it and it was hard getting everything back in if we wanted to bring anything back. If you plan on doing a lot of excursions, maybe that changes things. One thing I do is get my hair braided as soon as possible when I get there. It cuts down on time I need to work on hair, hair products, and all that jazz. Think gauze, it's hot and humid, just like the tropics should be. Keep it simple mon, just enjoy being there.

Coming to CSA Dec 2014 - again.
    Little worried about releasing the actual date because I have had advance notice that Mosquitoes all over the Caribbean and South America are on short notice to pack and meet me there.
    Hubby, why they give him a wide berth, just ignore him actually.
    I would never leave home without DEET!!!!
    Oh and by the way I always over-pack everything else.
    I follow the, "Pack and then take half out", rule.
    Would be really effective if I could overrule my subconsciousness that says, "Nooooooooo girl you need way more than that".
    Well there we are - a failed traveler.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast