Default AA now charging for first bag to Carribbean - effective NOW.

It was just a matter of time.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Here are some of the highlights of changes to American's bag fees:

— A new charge of $25 to check a bag from the U.S. to Mexico, the Caribbean or Central America, starting immediately. A second bag is still $40.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/correc...204357311.html

Is this for any new booking? I booked my flight for our Aug trip last Oct as soon as they were available and the first bag is included. Wonder if my trip cost is now gonna go up?

Add this to the growing list of reasons why we switched to Caribbean Air.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

I believe its for tickets purchased after April 8th., when they changed the policy.

Just checked AA website and they state no charge for tickets purchased prior to April 8. So no worries mon

Tickets bought before April 8, 2014 still have the first bag checked free

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...eAllowance.jsp

Quote Originally Posted by weewane View Post
    Is this for any new booking? I booked my flight for our Aug trip last Oct as soon as they were available and the first bag is included. Wonder if my trip cost is now gonna go up?
    The cost applies only to flights booked after 4/8/2014

We only check one back anyway with all our liquids so it is not that big a deal for us.

From AA.com

MEXICO, THE CARIBBEAN AND CENTRAL AMERICA TO/FROM THE UNITED STATES, THE U.S. VIRGIN ISLANDS, PUERTO RICO OR CANADA

For tickets purchased on or after April 8, 2014

$25 for the first checked bag. Exceptions may apply.
    $40 for the second checked bag. Exceptions may apply.
    $150 for the third checked bag.
    $200 for any additional pieces.

For tickets purchased before April 8, 2014

$40 for the second checked bag. Exceptions may apply.
    $150 for any additional pieces

One more reason to travel carry on. At least until they all start charging for that.
    We do.
    Ronda and Doug
    COR Dec. 2007
    CTI Dec. 2009, Dec. 2015
    CSS Dec. 2008, Dec. 2012, Dec. 2014
    CN Dec. 2011, Dec. 2013

Quote Originally Posted by weewane View Post
    It should be for anything booked after April 8th 2014, if you booked before that you should fall under the policy when you booked.

From the AA website:

The following passengers will be allowed a 1st and 2nd checked bag at no additional charge (for tickets purchased on or after April 8, 2014) provided it falls within the size and weight limitations. These free checked bag allowances apply on flights operated by American Airlines, American Eagle and American Connection®. On flights operated by other carriers, different baggage charges may apply. Be sure to check your itinerary and receipt to see which airlines’ charges apply.

•For customers traveling to or from destinations in South America, Panama, El Salvador, China, Japan and South Korea
    •Customers who purchase Business or First Class tickets (3 checked bag allowance)
    •Active U.S. Military personnel traveling on orders (5 checked bag allowance) or personal travel (3 checked bag allowance)
    •Active U.S. Military dependents traveling on orders
    •American Airlines AAdvantage® Executive Platinum* or AAdvantage Platinum
    •Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K and MVP Gold
    •oneworld alliance Emerald* and Sapphire
    •Customers flying on the same reservation as an American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum* or AAdvantage Platinum member or oneworld alliance Emerald* or Sapphire member regardless of frequent flyer status or fare type (not applicable to group bookings)
    •First and Business Class MileSAAver® Awards
    •First and Business Class AAnytime® Awards
    •First and Business Class upgrades confirmed prior to check-in
    * AAdvantage Executive Platinum and oneworld Emerald members are eligible for up to three free checked bags.

Additionally, the following passengers will be allowed 1st and 2nd checked bag at no additional charge for tickets purchased before April 8, 2014:

•Customers who purchase full-fare tickets in Economy Class
    •AAdvantage Gold members, oneworld alliance Ruby members and Alaska Airlines MVP members
    •Customers flying on the same reservation as an American Airlines AAdvantage Gold member or oneworld alliance Ruby member regardless of frequent flyer status or fare type (not applicable to group bookings)
    •Economy Class AAnytime® Awards

We're flying JetBlue in June. I've heard people say not to check bags when traveling to the Caribbean. Any advice?

I like to bring back rum cream so we have ti check bags.

Quote Originally Posted by mklkag View Post
    We're flying JetBlue in June. I've heard people say not to check bags when traveling to the Caribbean. Any advice?
    If you plan on bring any liquids you must check at least 1 bag. This includes coming home with any.

We have done four trips to Couples. On trips 2-4 we have only taken carryons for a week and it works great. We fly through customs.

Quote Originally Posted by mklkag View Post
    Where on Earth did you hear to not check bags?! I am a clothes horse (although I'm down to about 6-7 pair of shoes for a 10 day trip), and we always check our bags. Many times our bags are out before we get to baggage claim. And shocker... Everything we put in them is still there!

And Southwest Airlines is now offering flights to Montego Bay -- no baggage check, plus generally a lower ticket price.

Would love it if Caribbean Air would come back to BWI. They dropped our airport a year or two ago.
    CSS OCT 2009
    CSS OCT 2011
    CSS OCT 2014

Quote Originally Posted by winlove View Post
    And Southwest Airlines is now offering flights to Montego Bay -- no baggage check, plus generally a lower ticket price.
    Thumbs up!

Many airlines offer one free bag to Jamaica actually. So unless you just really want to limit what you bring to save a few minutes it's not worth it to carry on only. For what you save you end up spending on sunscreen at the resort anyway. We check one bag and bring one on with us with a change of clothes in case of emergency. With Club Mobay we already save plenty of time so I don't see how it would save us anymore. Some people just go overboard with their carry on only attitude.

Sometimes people's "carry on only attitude" may be due to the fear of lost luggage...... Several years ago we spent 48 hours at Sans Souci w/ no luggage...nada. Try finding contact cases or a brush or whatever in Ocho Rios at 11:00 at night !! Boy oh boy, right then I sure wished I had it in me to pack light enough to do carry on !!

Quote Originally Posted by Sublimebrad View Post
    Many airlines offer one free bag to Jamaica actually.
    Not for long. This is a "monkey see monkey do industry" afterall.