Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Gifts for Staff...

I know that tipping is forbidden.. but has anyone left gifts for your room attendants or other staff members? If so what is considered appropriate?

Quote Originally Posted by T&T0811 View Post
    I know that tipping is forbidden.. but has anyone left gifts for your room attendants or other staff members? If so what is considered appropriate?
    Someone please explain, how is this different than tipping?

It's not. Write their names down if you receive great service and put it in the comment card you get at the end of your stay. They benefit more that way.

We bring gifts all the time. Last time back packs with school supplies for some staff's children. Sometimes candy. What ever we think of. It has NEVER been a issue for us or the staff.

Quote Originally Posted by benandmiranda View Post
    Tipping is considered a requirement as gifts is just that a gift from the heart, not a requirement and a nice gesture.

We bring candy, m&ms, etc. And leave it for the room attendants with a thank you note daily. Also nail polish & make up.

That's not entirely true. If you're doing it in exchange for service perhaps. But if you're coming back and want to give gifts because they are your friends, then I don't see any problem with that. That's what I plan on doing.

Quote Originally Posted by softail19 View Post
    It's not. Write their names down if you receive great service and put it in the comment card you get at the end of your stay. They benefit more that way.
    Write it down all day and they will get the BIG goose egg or Nothing if you don't know what a goose egg is. I'm sure you think $1.00 a hour is more than enough waiting on you hand and foot. I don't.
    Last edited by lotsastuff4u; April 7th, 2014 at 01:24 PM.

Ahhhh….another "bring them M&Ms" thread! This NEVER gets old….

Have at it!!

It's different than tipping in that it's a gift...something you spend time at getting. The key is that you leave a note identifying what you leave as a gift so they won't get in trouble. Chocolates, perfumes, scented hand sanitizers and lotions (for women) and ball caps, sun glasses or t-shirts (for guys) make great gifts and are easy to transport. Realize that some of the staff have kids and gifts for them; books, coloring books/crayons, etc. will be appreciated.

As softtail mentioned...be sure to put their name on the comment card at the end of your stay as this is what helps them to keep their jobs.

The difference is this: Tipping cash is not allowed, whereas gifts are allowed. Something small like chocolates on your pillow for housekeeping (leave a note the first day).
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

I think gifts are a nice thing to do and shows some real gratitude. Provided you write a note to advise what you are doing and what exactly you are leaving I don't personally see an issue. I have never been asked for a tip but frankly some of the staff are very special and leaving a gift at the end of your stay is a really nice way to say thank you. With regards to being appropriate, that is in the eye of the beholder, but for the likes of us who can afford such vacations, it hardly breaks the bank to leave a little something. So if you feel its not right, don't do it, but if like me you want to reward excellent service its up to you.

If a staff member were to receive a gift from a guest, that staff member may feel obligated to provide better service to that guest. I still think gifts are cause for favorable or preferential treatment. Tipping is not allowed for this reason. All guests are to be treated the same. I think gifts should fall in the same category.

THE ONLY TIME I WOULD THINK OTHERWISE... I could see giving a parting gift, some thing for them to take home after you leave, so there's no question that it was given to receive preferential treatment while you were there.

I disagree with benandmiranda. I have been going to Jamaica for over 15 years and bring stuff all the time. I get the same service as everyone else. What does a small bag of candy cost? I guarantee you everyone gets the same GREAT service with or without bring gifts. It's a nice way to say thank you.
    Last edited by lotsastuff4u; April 7th, 2014 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lotsastuff4u View Post
    Write it down all day and they will get the BIG goose egg or Nothing if you don't know what a goose egg is. I'm sure you think $1.00 a hour is more than enough waiting on you hand and foot. I don't.
    Of course I don't think 1.00 an hour is right that's.a stupid statement but the best way to help the people who make our stays better is to comment on the cards at the end . They participate in a profit sharing plan. Go ahead and leave gifts if it makes you feel better.

If a staff member were to receive a gift from a guest, that staff member may feel obligated to provide better service to that guest. I still think gifts are cause for favorable or preferential treatment. Tipping is not allowed for this reason. All guests are to be treated the same. I think gifts should fall in the same category.

THE ONLY TIME I WOULD THINK OTHERWISE... I could see giving a parting gift, some thing for them to take home after you leave, so there's no question that it was given to receive preferential treatment while you were there.
    Couldn't agree more, and I always wonder how you get chocolate down there without it turning into a bag of syrup.

I don't disagree that it might be construed one way or another, but I think the folks their know who you are if you're a repeater and have been in touch with them via facebook while you're not there. it doesn't matter if you give them a gift when you arrive or when you leave in that case. you're doing it because you appreciate them as friends and truly are thankful for all they've done for you when you are there, not because you want them to treat you better. besides, i don't see how anyone could treat you any better than they already do at couples.

I make quilts and had made one for a server who was special to us from our first visit and another lady we had made friends with. The sever was no longer there so at the end of the trip I left it on the bed with a note for housekeeping thanking her for her wonderful service and dedication. So I don't see that as a tip but as a gesture of appreciation for her attention to detail.

Ya Mon
    CSA 2012, 2013

On my first trip to Couples, a staff member shared his thoughts on tips and gifts. Please return to our resort as soon as possible and bring your friends he said. If you do this, I will have a job and so will everyone else that works here. And that "my friend" is the biggest tip / gift you can give to any and all of us. I've followed his advice.

I always leave the gift at the end of our stay.

I disagree with benandmiranda. I have been going to Jamaica for over 15 years and bring stuff all the time. I get the same service as everyone else. What does a small bag of candy cost? I guarantee you everyone gets the same GREAT service with or without bring gifts. It's a nice way to say thank you.
    I agree with both of you. As lotastuff4u mentions, small gifts of appreciation seem to be a normal acceptable tradition at Couples. However, on another thread, guests were discussing a certain employee by name and commenting that they wanted to buy clothing for her and her family and even discussed other more expensive gifts such as tablets and laptops. IMO, that is over the top as far as "gifting" is concerned, which could cause problems as benandmiranda mentioned. It could really blur the distinction between tipping and gifting which can be confusing to employees and guests and which the resort would rather not have to deal with.

I completely understand that we make friends over there and would like to help them out, but what people want to do for their Jamaican friends there should remain a private matter, and it shouldn't be inferred on this message board that all non-cash gifting on the resort is acceptable.

We also take small tokens of our appreciation every time we go. It's just something we like to do and the staff appreciates it so much.

I see my other response was sensored but I've always wondered how you get the chocolate down there without it being a bag of syrup?

What? There's an entire program dedicated to helping out the staff. Corroborate your statement or kindly stop misinforming folks.

Quote Originally Posted by jamaican_junkie View Post
    I agree with both of you. As lotastuff4u mentions, small gifts of appreciation seem to be a normal acceptable tradition at Couples. However, on another thread, guests were discussing a certain employee by name and commenting that they wanted to buy clothing for her and her family and even discussed other more expensive gifts such as tablets and laptops. IMO, that is over the top as far as "gifting" is concerned, which could cause problems as benandmiranda mentioned. It could really blur the distinction between tipping and gifting which can be confusing to employees and guests and which the resort would rather not have to deal with.

I completely understand that we make friends over there and would like to help them out, but what people want to do for their Jamaican friends there should remain a private matter, and it shouldn't be inferred on this message board that all non-cash gifting on the resort is acceptable.
    Agree.

The resort brand "Couples" have a particularly strict policy of "no tipping" at their four resorts. It has often been described as a well orchestrated play, where the main "actors" on stage should not be rewarded for a performance that requires many, many more "behind the scenes" people who make your vacation wonderful. Staff accepting tips may lose their job.

Couples prides itself in that every guest is treated the same, no matter which room category. Personally, we feel we should honour the "gist" of the policy, and do not feel it is even right to bring "goodies" to those main "actors"... as we feel that the company is trying to avoid the game of staff paying "special treatment" to certain gift-giving guests... but to each their own.

It has been reiterated that it is much better to actually name the outstanding employees you meet, on the Guest Comment cards, so management can reward those staff members in the proper manner.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast