Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Are men's Cargo shorts too casual?

Hi all We are visiting CN for the first time in 50 days! Yay! I know that men's nicer shorts are allowed for the more casual restaraunts but I am wondering if Cargo Shorts are? Thanks in advance for your help!

Cargo shorts are fine for all but Otahete.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

No they would be fine

Imo they are just right for the beach.

I believe they will be fine, for the restaurants where shorts are allowed. I have both cargo and dressier shorts and I don't remember what I wore to dinners. Probably the nicer ones, but I don't think cargo shorts would be questioned.

Thank you all for your replies! We will pack both, so if it looks like it's okay, then he'll wear them. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Rum Girl View Post
    Thank you all for your replies! We will pack both, so if it looks like it's okay, then he'll wear them. Thanks again!
    My rule of thumb has always been.... If I question it, I shouldn't do it. . I don't think you would be criticized for overdressing..

I'd suggest jean shorts...

Quote Originally Posted by KrisJamie View Post
    I'd suggest jean shorts...
    Jean Shorts!! Do any of your remember the infamous "Jorts Thread" from years ago? That was a fun one!

Jean Shorts!! Do any of your remember the infamous "Jorts Thread" from years ago? That was a fun one!
    I laughed too thinking about the "Jorts" thread as I read it. Some very funny stuff was posted in it that's for sure.

I was a rabid participant. We even had a "Jort meetup" at CTI with DandJ and others.

On the cargo shorts, stay away from camo. Wearing camo on the Island is frowned upon and I'm not sure, but may be illegal.

In my opinion, Jean shorts are too casual. That's just my opinion and I don't want to start WW III. Others wearing them won't ruin my vacation, I just wouldn't recommend them.

Kurt and Angela
    CN 2011, 2013 and 2015
    CSS 2014

Quote Originally Posted by kurt and Angie View Post
    On the cargo shorts, stay away from camo. Wearing camo on the Island is frowned upon and I'm not sure, but may be illegal.

In my opinion, Jean shorts are too casual. That's just my opinion and I don't want to start WW III. Others wearing them won't ruin my vacation, I just wouldn't recommend them.
    Camo is not illegal, unless you impersonate the uniform of the military.

Jorts was tongue in cheek. You could certainly wear a NICE pair to anywhere that allows shorts, however.

I would say if cargo shorts make you comfortable and you aren't wearing them to a restaurant that has a strict dress code, wear them. My husband and I enjoy Couples because we don't have to wear our finest every day. We dress nice when we want and dress more casual on nights when we want. I have never been bothered by what someone else has worn to dinner. Their vacation and their choice.

Camo is illegal in the Bahamas I believe.

Maybe not technically illegal, but do you want to take the chance of this happening? http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2.../letters5.html

Regarding Camouflage, it is illegal as is true in much of the Caribbean and Central and South America. See pasted article from the Gleaner.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...thing_14743994

I like nice cargo shorts for casual evenings as it gives me a nice pocket to put my camera in and the lipstick my wife always seems to require I carry for her.

Wouldn't wear it en route, but while I am there I would think that's ok.

Quote Originally Posted by mnrasta View Post
    I like nice cargo shorts for casual evenings as it gives me a nice pocket to put my camera in and the lipstick my wife always seems to require I carry for her.
    Funny you mention carrying your camera and your wife's lipstick in your cargo shorts' pockets... That's a big reason why my husband likes wearing them (for the camera... not my lipstick! Hehe!) Thanks for your reply!

You'll note that all of the articles, minus the editorial, speak to uniforms/formal camo. They don't care about your casual fare, and they especially don't care about a tourist's casual fare.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisJamie View Post
    I was a rabid participant. We even had a "Jort meetup" at CTI with DandJ and others.
    Cut-offs are not jorts.

Jort = jean + short

You are right and wrong, all at once. Mine are rolled up in the pic, and not cut off. I also have a real pair that I wear when I'm not out having fun.

Thanks!

Still chuckle at the thought of that thread.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast