Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Rum cream in USA.

There is a brand called Rum Chata. Anyone tried it?

I've tried it and it has a funny cinnamon flavor - nothing like Rum Creme.
    Jan and Mark
    CN 2009
    CSA 2011
    CSA 2013
    CSS 2014

Imo it's TERRIBLE! It's not creamy, it's watery and I had to give the bottle away to my sister and I can drink just about anything. Boy I miss the Sangsters!!4 days and I can get the real stuff. One brand that I did find that was close was from Gyana, called Eldorado rum cream. I don't like the cinnamon flavor either.
    Last edited by softail19; April 14th, 2014 at 04:58 PM.

I have some and really like it. It's more of a cinnamon flavor. Goes really well in hot chocolate!
    CN 2003, 2006, 2013
    CSS 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014
    There's no place like home in Jamaica!

I do like Rum Chata, but it's nothing like Jamaican Rum Cream... We will be back to Jamaica in 47 days and plan to enjoy it there in all sorts of drinks and bring some bottles home with us too! YUMM!

Rum Chata is not like Rum Crème. Rum Chata tastes like Cinnamon Toast Crunch, if you are familiar with that cereal.

You can't get Sangster's there? I've seen it here in Canada

Try Tres Leches liqueur instead. Very good, much better than Rum Chata.
    Richard

CSS November 2010
    CSS October 2013

I've read it's been seen in northern Mn and I've seen it is available in Canada but I just don't get "up north" very often.

Rum Chata is a take on Horchata, the mexican/hispanic cinnamon & rice based drink. Rum Creme is more similar to Bailey irish creme, but with Rum instead of Whiskey.
    _____
    CN 6/12
    CN 7/13
    CN 12/14

Quote Originally Posted by bethbilly View Post
    You can't get Sangster's there? I've seen it here in Canada
    Never seen Sangster's in the US.

It is too sweet and just off in flavor. I tried it and had to add some Godiva Chocolate Liquor or Kahlua to make it palatable. Although Sangsters Rum Cream is not available in the states you may be able to get the next best thing which is Wray & Nephew Rum Cream. There is also a Dominican rum cream by Ron Barceló that you may be able to order. Ask your local liquor store if they can order it for you. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by oma parrothead View Post
    Try Tres Leches liqueur instead. Very good, much better than Rum Chata.
    I agree that Tres Leches is as close as I've been able to find here in the States
    Captain Jim
    "I will grow old....
    But I won't grow up"

Rum Chata... ick... not my thing when I tried it and I had hopes for it. Tastes like cookie dough... no real rum flavor there for me.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Don't be content to just brows the shelves at your local liquor stores and walk out empty handed and disappointed. Many brands of liquor, or in this case rum creams, are available for them to order but not popular enough for them to carry on the shelves. When you are at Couples Resorts they serve both Sangsters and Wray & Nephew Rum Cream. Wray & Nephew is the same company that owns Appleton Estates and can be bought in the USA. You have probably seen their clear over proof rum on the shelves. Have your liquor store look this rum cream up to see if their distributor can provide you some. Enjoy!

US Customs is the reason that Sangster's Rum Cream is not available in the US. WE can get it no problem up here in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by novastar View Post
    US Customs is the reason that Sangster's Rum Cream is not available in the US. WE can get it no problem up here in Canada.
    That doesn't make any sense. How do all of us Americans get it back into the country? Customs has never stopped me.

You would think it would be a no-brainer to offer Sangster's Rum Cream in the US, after all look how popular it is on this site. (But it is a good way to keep us Americans to return to Jamaica.)
    Richard

CSS November 2010
    CSS October 2013

Coincidentally, my wife talked me into buying a bottle a few weeks ago. Just tonight she tried to palm it off on our son and his friend. So, thumbs down from us!

Just a note about Sangsters. We were unable to buy it at the airport and Couples Negril had a very limited supply, that was 53 days ago. Seems it has become very popular and they were having trouble keeping up the production of it. The only thing we could get at the airport was the Wray and Nephew and the only way to get Sangsters on the beach at Couples Negril was to specifically ask for it. I like both. Was able to buy a banana flavored Sangsters Rum Cream at the resort, and I really like it. Dang, it, now I'm going to have to delve into my stock and open up one, this thread pushed me past my resolve. Is good Mon!

We got both Sangsters and Rum Bar rum cream when we left in March (Sunshine Liquors at the airport). We've tried some of the others, but haven't been that fond of them. We enjoy the Rum Bar, and it was a couple dollars cheaper per bottle than Sangsters, too. BTW, we can no longer buy Sangsters in Canada (at least in my area). I have Googled, and although it is available in some areas of Canada currently, it will not be once the stock is depleted.

I tried to order it from a liquor store once here in the US, but the guy who owns the store told me that Jamaican Rum Creme cannot be "SOLD" in the US because Jamaica cannot guarantee the alcohol content of the Rum Creme. I'm not sure how true that is, but it's definitely true that you cannot get it in the States. I've tried.
    CSA - May 2009, May 2010, March 2011 (wedding), December 2012, May 2014 CSS - December 2011

I have not looked lately, but last time I DID check, you could have Sangster's shipped to your door here in the US, if you live in a state that allows such shipments. Pricey, yes. I've seen and heard a lot of rumors and excuses for not being able to import Sangster's to the US, none of which make sense. You can purchase lots of Jamaican products here in the US, like many of Appleton Estates' rums, Blue Mountain coffee, Walkerswood Jerk Seasoning, Busha Browns, etc.

Personally, I think its all about supply, demand, and price.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

I checked with my liquor store friend today...he said he can order it for me, but said to buy it in Jamaica because it will be cheaper. And that is what I intend to do.

The only brands of rum cream I've seen in the States are Cruzan and El Dorado, with the latter being my preference.
    I also enjoyed the Littlefield brand while in JA.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast