Default Dunn's River Falls

I am a first timer to CTI and want to see if anyone has any experiences positive or negative with Dunn's River Falls. I have been reading about it for the last couple of days and there are a lot of negative reviews of it because of the rude and pushy tour guides that are only there for the tips and the tourist trap style exit that you have to go through. Are these people wrong? Is it worth it to travel to the falls through the resort?

The guides are good but at the end EXPECT a tip so if you don't have the money on you they will follow you to the minibus and the exit is as you say but if you say no thank you and carry on walking they don't hassle you (at the end of the day they are only trying to earn a living). Having said that the trip is a must and the enjoyment of the climb far outweighs the negative aspects.

We have gone to Dunn's River Falls twice and loved it both times. They do expect a tip, but like Falcon said, are just trying to earn a living. Also, the "tourist trap" exit isn't as bad it sounds. Just tell them no thank you and keep walking. I did hear that there is a way to avoid the sales tents, but I never found it. I think the trip is definitely worth the small hassle of the "tourist trap"

As this is your first time, you MUST go. It's almost a rite of passage, an initiation into Jamaica. Yes, it's as touristy as you can get, but having done it once, you don't have to do it again. Okay, I did it twice but I've been to Couples more than 30 times.

Some advice - do not go if there are cruise ships in port, wear water shoes, tip the guide, do it sober... really.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    On the web, always open

Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

Quote Originally Posted by DavenRach View Post
    We have gone to Dunn's River Falls twice and loved it both times. They do expect a tip, but like Falcon said, are just trying to earn a living. Also, the "tourist trap" exit isn't as bad it sounds. Just tell them no thank you and keep walking. I did hear that there is a way to avoid the sales tents, but I never found it. I think the trip is definitely worth the small hassle of the "tourist trap"
    You can escape via the main gate.

Quote Originally Posted by fawnridge View Post
    Some advice - do not go if there are cruise ships in port, wear water shoes, tip the guide, do it sober... really.
    Yes, yes, yes, and yes!

Definitely check the cruise ship schedule to see when they are in port. Check cruiseportinsider.com or cruisetimetables.com

My advice after going a few years back is as the above poster has said, do NOT go when there are cruise ships. Last time I knew Sunday was the best day, but this may have changed. We were seriously the only bus there when they first opened and were back at the resort by around 1pm.

As far as the tourist trap is concerned, I didn't mind tipping the guides a few bucks (no more than $5 each). When you are walking out, AVOID the shop gauntlet by heading to the LEFT. We had 2 guys yell at us that we were going the wrong way, but what he didn't know was we read up before going and know you come out at the same exact place. We kept walking and were back at the bus in no time!

Dunn's River Falls is a must do in Jamaica. A few things you should know though. First you will get wet. Wear a bathing suit and remember that the water is COLD as it runs down the mountain. The guides will lead you to pools where you can dunk yourselves and to some falls you will lean under and have your picture taken. Take water shoes with you so you don't have to rent (yuck) or buy them there. You have to wear some kind of footwear and water shoes work best. Sneakers will be wet for days. Take a camera and allow the guide to take pictures for you. He will carry the camera the whole way up the falls as you will be holding hands with others in a sort of human chain to help maintain your balance. Bring some cash to tip the guides and also if you want to buy any souvenirs or gifts in the gift shop areas at the end. We did this our first trip to Jamaica and again a year later with our kids for our marriage at CSS.

You may also want to remember that the bottom of the falls is where scenes from the James Bond film Dr No were shot. That is where Ursula Andress meets James and runs to hide from the "fire breathing dragon". Another note is that hotel scenes from this movie were shot at CSS! Try to watch the movie before or after to say "I was there!" It makes it more fun.