Thread: bug spray ???

Default bug spray ???

hey everybody ... got a quick question ... the new wife and I (as of Saturday) will be arriving at CSA on Sunday everning and we absolutely cannot WAIT to get the wedding over with and get on with the honeymoon!

Anyway I have read a few places here to make sure and bring bug spray. Can anyone elaborate on that for me as well as give me some recommendations on what type to bring? Would something like a Off! skintastic be fine? does it need to have Deet? Thanks in advance!

Based on a study that was done your best bet is to use 90% or higher concentrations of DEET. Lower concentrations are ineffective, and just a waste of money.
    Irie Mon

We used some repellant with 50% deet in it. Had no problems. Completely bite free holiday!

We've been to all of the resorts and never had a problem with mosquitoes. The only bug problem was some sand fleas at CSS on the beach at night (but bug sprays don't work for sand fleas anyway).

When we were at CSA this past April, I brought bug repellant wipes and never opened the container. Though they were easy to pack.
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

I think it totally depends on the person. I've been to Jamaica in the spring/early summer, late summer, and November. I've been eaten alive every single time - north coast and west coast. I envy those that say they don't have problems with mosquitos. I long to go out in the evening not covered head to toe in DEET. Anyway, for me, the more DEET the better. Anything less than Deep Woods Off does nothing for me.

The last time went to the Caribbean, we got this stuff called UltraThon. Worked even better than Off. We got the lotion because it has the highest DEET. We had read in some magzine about it and that it's formulated in some way that is different at the molecular level, or something, than others. Something about the DEET staying encapsulated in the product ON your skin so it doesn't actually penetrate the skin???? Sorry, working from memory. Anyway, the only place we were able to find it was Cabelas.

We've been to Jamaica staying at Couples 3 times for a total of 6 weeks, and I've never been bitten. That's pretty good for me, cos I'm the tastiest person alive!! Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by smoo72 View Post
    The last time went to the Caribbean, we got this stuff called Ultrathon.
    Does Ultrathon have a strong scent? That's one thing about most insect repellents that repel me...a strong scent/odor. It looks like a couple of stores in my area carry it.
    Happy & Safe Travels!

=

Honestly, bring some pre-loaded wipes. Off makes some, I think, as do other brands. Easy to transport (they won't pop open in your luggage) and a quick swipe down each leg and arm will get you done. More of a precautionary measure than anything. I get bit like crazy at home, but never at CSA (but I did the quick wipe thing before strolling the beach at night). It's more a nighttime worry than anything - never used anything during the day and never got bit. Sand fleas are your big worry.

I know there was a great thread on the old board that had some info about the best types of repellent and the search function there no longer seems to work.

I am personally interested in finding out if anyone knows what was recommended that you take by mouth (a vitamin of some type?) a few weeks before leaving for Jamaica and there was an oil or ointment at the Couples gift shop that was recommended to use to keep the sand fleas away. Does anyone know of the 2 products I'm talking about?

Don't mean to hijack your thread but I figured since it's on the same topic why start a new post? *wink*

Thanks for any help!

Angie
    Kevin & Angie

I use a natural product called BuzzAway that contains lots of Eucalyptus and Citronella oil. Without it, I get eaten alive, but with it, it completely stops the mosquitoes. As an added benefit it works on Sand Fleas, too. I don't like to use DEET since it's basically poison, especially if something like this works. As a side note: I am a mosquito magnet, so I am always getting eaten alive -- even stateside.

Quote Originally Posted by angienkevin View Post
    I am personally interested in finding out if anyone knows what was recommended that you take by mouth (a vitamin of some type?) a few weeks before leaving for Jamaica.

Angienkevin:

That would be "B-1". I haven't tried it personally. Some swear by it and others think it is a myth. I don't even think there has been any scientific research done to prove or disprove it.
    Happy & Safe Travels!

=

Quote Originally Posted by NeedBlueWater View Post
    Does Ultrathon have a strong scent? That's one thing about most insect repellents that repel me...a strong scent/odor. It looks like a couple of stores in my area carry it.
    It still smells like bug repellant, but I don't find it as harsh as a Deep Woods Off.