Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1

    Default Which resort(s) for us?

    We are recently retired and plan to treat my son & daughter-in-law to a week (and travel to Jamaica together) for their 5th anniversary. However, when we get to the island, we plan to go to different resorts for many reasons. The biggest reason is my wife likes to sun-bathe topless (we both prefer to keep our "bottoms" on), and we obviously don't want to run into my son in that state.

    Of the four resorts, is there one that has more middle/upper aged people like us? Is there one that tends to attract younger couples for my son?

    Is there one we should avoid if the wife prefers to skip the top?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,740

    Default

    Go to CN or CSA on the Negril side of the island. Huge beaches with soft white sand and very topless friendly. CSS is a small beach where everyone can see everyone else. Tends to be more crowded. CTI does not allow topless on the beach...just at the end of the pier.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,157

    Default

    Hi qwerty. Well...CSA and CN tend to attract the younger couples while we've seen more mid to upper aged couples at CSS and CTI. Of course there's always a mix of each so you won't find a "pure" resort for a certain age group. Here's one thing to consider...CTI is the only resort that offers a "topless" sun-bathing area (on the pier). The AN locations at the 3 resorts that offer it (CSS, CTI and CN) are for those wanting to get an all-over tan. That being said we have seen people doing topless sun-bathing at CSS and CSA on the textile beach without incident. Hope this helps in your decision process and have a great stay at whichever Couples Resort you choose.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    350

    Default

    There will be about the same mix of ages at each of the resorts. If there was one for you and your wife to avoid, skip CTI. Topless is allowed only at the end of the pier. Not a great place to lounge at but some do. She may go topless on all of the other main beaches, but not CTI.
    As far as the topless thing goes, I'd be honest with your son & daughter letting them know ahead of time what your plan is. I'm sure you can come up with a creative way of dropping a hint. Lets see... they are married only five years.... They may be looking to ditch you so they can experience the A/N or topless thing on there own LOL.
    Congratulations on your retirement and giving such a generous gift to your son and daughter-in-law, very nice. No matter which one you pick, you will all love it!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    445

    Default

    I would send the kids to CTI and bring your wife to CSA.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    458

    Default

    I would highly recommend reading the message boards thoroughly, where this information can be found in no less than 9374 posts. . Enjoy Jamaica!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Have you considered taking your wife to CSA, and have your son and daughter-in-law go to CN ? Make use of the Trading Places option on seperate days (you go to CN one day/they come to CSA for their visit) allowing you to hang with them for 2 days of your trip, couples might even allow an extra trip if you explain the sitch. Meanwhile, mom can "bust em out" without fear of sending your son to therapy next year ! sylvia

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike&Sylvia View Post
    Have you considered taking your wife to CSA, and have your son and daughter-in-law go to CN ? Make use of the Trading Places option on seperate days (you go to CN one day/they come to CSA for their visit) allowing you to hang with them for 2 days of your trip, couples might even allow an extra trip if you explain the sitch. Meanwhile, mom can "bust em out" without fear of sending your son to therapy next year ! sylvia
    This a great idea!
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bart and Bug View Post
    Hi qwerty. Well...CSA and CN tend to attract the younger couples while we've seen more mid to upper aged couples at CSS and CTI. Of course there's always a mix of each so you won't find a "pure" resort for a certain age group. Here's one thing to consider...CTI is the only resort that offers a "topless" sun-bathing area (on the pier). The AN locations at the 3 resorts that offer it (CSS, CTI and CN) are for those wanting to get an all-over tan. That being said we have seen people doing topless sun-bathing at CSS and CSA on the textile beach without incident. Hope this helps in your decision process and have a great stay at whichever Couples Resort you choose.
    This is miss leading. CN, CSA and CSS all allow topless on the main beach.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    575

    Default

    Hmm, Sylvia's suggestion sounds pretty good to me. I vote for that one.

  11. #11

    Default

    CSA probably wouldn't be the right choice because it is on a public beach and Beaches Negril is right next door which is a family resort. So while it does happen every so often it doesn't happen a lot.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    This is miss leading. CN, CSA and CSS all allow topless on the main beach.
    Maybe a better way to put it is that CTI is the only Couples Resort that advertises a topless sun bathing area. We've never seen anything posted for the others that says one way or the other but, like we said, have never seen anyone have a problem with anyone doing topless sun bathing on the main beaches.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    221

    Default

    I have seen topless at CSA quite a bit, all the beaches in Negril are public. Sylvia's idea is the best!!

  14. #14

    Default

    You could certainly try CSA for both couples. The beach is long enough you could agree to only sunbath topless at one end of the beach while your son/DIL agree to avoid that end of the beach during the day. That way you could meet up for breakfast and dinner during your stay.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    78

    Default

    We've been to both CN and CSA and are going back to CN for our 5 yr anniversary next week. Although we are younger and prefer CN (had a great time at CSA as well), from what I remember there was a more mid-to older age crowd at CN and younger at CSA (you will find a mix anywhere though). I've topless bathed at both and felt way more comfortable at CN, it really could be the crowds that were at the resort at the time though. My vote would be pick between CN and CSA and each do trading places one day. If you or the young ones are into working out at all CSA has an amazing sports facility across the street. We love CN because it is smaller and more intimate. I can't speak of the Ocho Rios side but you can't go wrong with Couples!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    254

    Default

    I just want your wife to be prepared........while topless sunbathing is permitted at CSA on the main beach, she may be asked to cover up. I topless sunbath every time I'm there. I've topless sunbathed at CN, CSA, and CSS. However last time I was at CSA, someone complained and the security guard came over and politely asked me to put my top back on because someone had complained. He was very apologetic, and of course I did as asked. Up until that point, I had felt most comfortable topless sunbathing at CSA only because I think the beach is longer and wider and more crowded so I guess I don't feel like people are paying that much attention to me. I felt the most uncomfortable doing it at CSS. Im not sure why, but I just didnt feel like the crowd was very accepting hence I got some dirty looks. The beach at CSS is small. So just remember that not everyone is that accepting of it. The last thing I want to do is make people uncomfortable, but I also enjoy doing it. So anyway I just wanted to prepare her in case she is asked to cover up. If someone complains, she may be asked to. So if that happens, I would cover up and maybe move to a different spot on down the beach. Have a great trip!
    CSA - May 2009, May 2010, March 2011 (wedding), December 2012, May 2014 CSS - December 2011

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bart and Bug View Post
    Maybe a better way to put it is that CTI is the only Couples Resort that advertises a topless sun bathing area. We've never seen anything posted for the others that says one way or the other but, like we said, have never seen anyone have a problem with anyone doing topless sun bathing on the main beaches.
    Actually it is advertised for all resorts. From the FAQ on the Couples website:

    TOPLESS SUNBATHING
    Topless Sunbathing is allowed in designated beach areas:
    Couples Tower Isle: End of the pier off the main beach.
    Couples Negril: Main beach.
    Couples Swept Away: Main beach.
    Couples Sans Souci: Main beach.

    Topless is NOT permitted at or in any of our swimming pools.


    We have seen topless during our stays at CN so while it may not be common, there are topless people there.

    To KLMurphy2005, not sure why anyone would have been told to cover up on the CSA beach unless the security guard was new and didn't know the rules. That's too bad. They should be better informed.

    Lastly, I like the suggestion from Mike&Sylvia. That way you could share the bus ride to the resorts to take TimAir to see the Island from the air. (we like the bus ride)

    Regardless, enjoy. Couples is an amazing resort.

    Kurt and Angela
    CN 2011, 2013 and 2015
    CSS 2014

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kurt and Angie View Post
    Actually it is advertised for all resorts. From the FAQ on the Couples website:

    TOPLESS SUNBATHING
    Topless Sunbathing is allowed in designated beach areas:
    Couples Tower Isle: End of the pier off the main beach.
    Couples Negril: Main beach.
    Couples Swept Away: Main beach.
    Couples Sans Souci: Main beach.

    Topless is NOT permitted at or in any of our swimming pools.


    We have seen topless during our stays at CN so while it may not be common, there are topless people there.

    To KLMurphy2005, not sure why anyone would have been told to cover up on the CSA beach unless the security guard was new and didn't know the rules. That's too bad. They should be better informed.

    Lastly, I like the suggestion from Mike&Sylvia. That way you could share the bus ride to the resorts to take TimAir to see the Island from the air. (we like the bus ride)

    Regardless, enjoy. Couples is an amazing resort.
    Yep that was the first and only time it's happened to me personally, but I have heard of it happening to others as well since then. I just moved further down the beach later in the day. I just didn't want the OP to be caught off guard like I was.
    CSA - May 2009, May 2010, March 2011 (wedding), December 2012, May 2014 CSS - December 2011

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •