Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Cinco de Mayo at Couples?

Does Couples do anything for Cinco de Mayo? I know it's not mexico, but it's pretty big in a lot of the major US Cities (kinda like St. Patty's), so I was wondering...

I hope not

Quote Originally Posted by Randandbets View Post
    I hope not
    to each his own. they do something for other american holidays, so I was wondering if they would do something for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by tewkewl View Post
    to each his own. they do something for other american holidays, so I was wondering if they would do something for this one.
    "American holiday.."???

As Cinco de Mayo is neither American nor Jamaican, I doubt it, and agree with Randandbets.

It wouldn't surprise me if they acknowledged it in some way. They had an American flag backdrop behind the band two years ago for July 4th, and the band mentioned the holiday, but it was nothing organized or overt.

I will be celebratingmy girlfriend (soon to be fiance's) birthday...our trip to CSS is to celebrate her birthday and I will be proposing to her while we are there! That's enough celebration for me

Does Couples do anything for Cinco de Mayo? I know it's not mexico, but it's pretty big in a lot of the major US Cities (kinda like St. Patty's), so I was wondering...
    Well, do Mexicans celebrate Jamaican Independence Day?

Quote Originally Posted by gonegril View Post
    No, they don't. But neither do American's as Cinco de Mayo is not Mexico's independence day. I'm sure it's taken seriously in Mexico, but along with St. Patty's and Mardi Gras, it's a day we choose to celebrate as an excuse to party!

I have no idea what all the animosity is about. It was a legitimate question.

Quote Originally Posted by Artie View Post
    "American holiday.."???
    Well, in the sense that Mardi Gras and St. Patty's aren't exactly American holidays either, but rather holidays celebrated in America. I guess I may have just lived in areas where Cinco de Mayo is celebrated.

From Wiki:
    Cinco de Mayo (Spanish for "fifth of May") is a celebration held on May 5. It is celebrated in the United States. [1] It is also celebrated in parts of Mexico, primarily in the state of Puebla,[note 1][2][3][4] where the holiday is called El Día de la Batalla de Puebla (English: The Day of the Battle of Puebla).[5][6][7]

It "is a much bigger holiday in the United States" than Mexico, especially in the western and southwestern states.

The beer companies (Corona) grabbed a hold of it and turned it into what it is today. Another excuse to day drink/get drunk. not much Mexican beer in Jamaica.

good one gonegirl. Next will be St Patricks day and Green Beer LOL.

They still have Corona, right?

Quote Originally Posted by zaraforty View Post
    Actually.... we were there for St. Paddy's day this year. Yes, they had green beer..... it was coloured with Creme de Menthe... Horrible!!!!

To be accurate, Mexico celebrates its independence in September.......I believe it's September 16th.....Cinco de Mayo is the date of a battle victory during the war for independence......

Quote Originally Posted by gonegril View Post
    No they do not. But American't don't celebrate it either since Cinqo de Mayo isn't Mexico's Independence Day.

In the end, I still don't want to spend my time in Jamaica celebrating a Mexican Holiday

If your are in Old Town (California) you would think it was an American holiday. Probably not a key feature that day at Couples, but I'll bet there will be a lot of people drinking Mexican Flags at the swim-up bar (white tequila, 151 proof rum, grenadine syrup and green creme de menthe); not much of a stretch from a Bob Marley and another reason to celebrate the fact that you're on vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by jimpat1 View Post
    From Wiki:
    Cinco de Mayo (Spanish for "fifth of May") is a celebration held on May 5. It is celebrated in the United States. [1] It is also celebrated in parts of Mexico, primarily in the state of Puebla,[note 1][2][3][4] where the holiday is called El Día de la Batalla de Puebla (English: The Day of the Battle of Puebla).[5][6][7]

It "is a much bigger holiday in the United States" than Mexico, especially in the western and southwestern states.

The beer companies (Corona) grabbed a hold of it and turned it into what it is today. Another excuse to day drink/get drunk. not much Mexican beer in Jamaica.
    Exactly... I'm surprised at the sheer number of people who think it's Mexican Independence Day. It's actually pretty big in NYC and DC as well. It is a given in Cali!

Quote Originally Posted by suzyQ View Post
    To be accurate, Mexico celebrates its independence in September.......I believe it's September 16th.....Cinco de Mayo is the date of a battle victory during the war for independence......
    Hi Suzy, actually, just to clear up the confusion, the 5th of May commemorates a battle between the Mexicans and the French. The French were superior in military might, and yet lost to the Mexicans (who haven't the french lost to? =P...)

Quote Originally Posted by zaraforty View Post
    Well, maybe not such a good one gonegirl, since it's not mexico's independence day! =)

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...l/social1.html. Looks like May 5th is celebrated in Jamaica. As for @ couples last time I was there over May 5th I did not really pay any attention as I prefer red stripe and ting and gin over any Mexican beer or margarita

Hi Suzy, actually, just to clear up the confusion, the 5th of May commemorates a battle between the Mexicans and the French. The French were superior in military might, and yet lost to the Mexicans (who haven't the french lost to? =P...)
    Hey tewkewl, You are totally correct! I knew that Cinco de Mayo was not a celebration of Mexican independence. I also knew that it celebrates a battle victory I just couldn't remember what battle!:-) One Love! Enjoy your trip!

It may not be indp day but it is a big holiday around Detroit, I would rank it with Labor Day or Memorial Day perhaps.

And... you would care if they celebrate this in Janaica because??? Stop stirring.....
    Last edited by Artie; April 21st, 2014 at 11:53 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast