Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 31 of 31
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    604

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tewkewl View Post
    Well, maybe not such a good one gonegirl, since it's not mexico's independence day! =)
    Since this has taken on epic proportions, let me clarify that I pulled Cinco de Mayo from the air as a commonly celebrated holiday, not as a holiday celebrating Mexico's independence, but it's good that so many people have Googled this and brought some enlightenment to the board.

    If you really want to celebrate Cinco de Mayo, have a beer with a lime in it.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gonegril View Post
    Since this has taken on epic proportions, let me clarify that I pulled Cinco de Mayo from the air as a commonly celebrated holiday, not as a holiday celebrating Mexico's independence, but it's good that so many people have Googled this and brought some enlightenment to the board.

    If you really want to celebrate Cinco de Mayo, have a beer with a lime in it.
    Ah IC, i was confused because her comment said specifically mentioned mexican independence day.

    i would rather have another bob marley than a beer with lime though! =)

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimpat1 View Post
    From Wiki:
    Cinco de Mayo (Spanish for "fifth of May") is a celebration held on May 5. It is celebrated in the United States. [1] It is also celebrated in parts of Mexico, primarily in the state of Puebla,[note 1][2][3][4] where the holiday is called El Da de la Batalla de Puebla (English: The Day of the Battle of Puebla).[5][6][7]

    It "is a much bigger holiday in the United States" than Mexico, especially in the western and southwestern states.
    _________________________________________

    The beer companies (Corona) grabbed a hold of it and turned it into what it is today. Another excuse to day drink/get drunk. not much Mexican beer in Jamaica.
    Wow, there sure are a lot of opinions on this topic. My suggestion is to order up some nachos, drink a Corona or a margarita, and have fun with it!! I agree with tewkewl: The marketers are promoting the heck out this day so we will go out and spend money on their products. Similar to what Hallmark did with inventing Valentine's day, Mother's Day, Father's day... (except these days were made up out of the clear blue sky... pure marketing genius...)

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Artie View Post
    And... you would care if they celebrate this in Janaica because??? Stop stirring.....
    Wasn't stirring. Just wanted to say that it has nothing to do with Mexican independents day due to the first rude comment about Mexican Independence Day.


    But in all seriousness, I was just asking a simple question everyone. I don't care if people think it should or should not be celebrated or not. I was just wondering if perhaps they have something going on that day like a special Mexican item on the menu or something to that effect. It's not that big of a deal.

    Sorry! =)

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Artie View Post
    And... you would care if they celebrate this in Janaica because??? Stop stirring.....
    a little snarky there artie. i mean no harm, be nice =)

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jdubya View Post
    Wow, there sure are a lot of opinions on this topic. My suggestion is to order up some nachos, drink a Corona or a margarita, and have fun with it!! I agree with tewkewl: The marketers are promoting the heck out this day so we will go out and spend money on their products. Similar to what Hallmark did with inventing Valentine's day, Mother's Day, Father's day... (except these days were made up out of the clear blue sky... pure marketing genius...)
    Baaaaaa, yes sir/ma'am. Baaaaaaaa.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •