Default Delta credit card

Hi super savy travel friends.
    I want to run an idea by you all and then you can tell me I'm brilliant, I'm crazy, or I'm dumb.

Adam and I are Trying to make it back to csa this November. The ideal
    Flight is out of Madison. It has been about $815 for a
    Few months. The serious convenience of flying out of an airport that is less than five minutes from out house is worth extra$$, especially bc
    We have the little ones at home. Any time away from them must be on the beach, Not driving to another city to catch a
    Cheaper Flight the night before.

So that being said, $815 really is a lot when in the past it's been in the $475-675 range. That's when I had an idea.
    It's far enough out I think it could work.
    I just got the delta American Express card.
    I will buy one ticket on the card. That, along with a few other purchases will get us to the 1,000 mark and then they will award us 35,000 miles within 2-4 weeks
    At that point we use the miles to buy the other ticket.
    Yes I know it could sell out.
    My plan is then we pay the $150 to change the first ticket and we buy together.
    This should work, right? Plus they give a $50
    Credit on the statement for a delta purchase in the first three months.

Thanks wise ones! All help is appreciated!

You might also look into the baggage fees- Delta hits you pretty hard as I recall, and with their card you will save a decent amount on baggage fees I believe.

Rack up some miles and get money off a Delta vacation package to couples. Plus when you use the card to pay for the trip you get more. I just saved around 700 that way. We have a platinum card but gold gives you around 200 off and 40K miles is 400 off. Not meant to be an ad but we have used Delta for years and prior to that Northwest/MLT vacations and I am telling you package travel is the way to go at least from Detroit. And the air ticket price will be less with a package, bulk air it's called. I got business class for around what you are paying for our trip this December.

Be careful using miles they have really jacked it up. It used to be 80k for bus class and now it's more than double that. Have you checked economy. There may be only a few seats at the lower miles and when they are gone it goes up up up.

Good luck.

Great thinking but you would probably need more like twice the 35000 miles delta gives you but I think you can use the miles like cash too where 35000 miles would get ya 350 credit towards a ticket

We will absolutely be flying economy. I will look into the package. We are on a love away right now, so I'd be impressed and very happy if we could do it for less. Maybe couples would honor that?
    I guess calling delta to check on how many miles
    It takes would be a good first step. I tried to look at their website but got conflicting info.
    We are planning on booking two more love aways before the month is out so I better get racking up the miles
    We also hope to possibly use some Capitol one miles as well. Again, not sure if you can combine.
    Ugh, the things i think of to try and get is home again!!!
    Thank you eveeyone

ugh, 65,000 miles are needed for the flight. anyone have some delta miles they need to get rid of

We used 30,000 "sky miles" our last trip and saved $300. Be careful with their card. They charge a huge membership fee after the first year.

Life is good

Yes beach bum, and huge interest rates. However, if we fly delta it could be worth the $95 a year. At least we hope to utilize the bonus miles
    On this trip and possibly ditch after that.
    Thanks everyone for your ideas. The $$ credit toward the ticketay just have to be enough.

M.Mom, we are also from Madison and have noticed the recent price increases vs. Milwaukee or Chicago. I am wondering if the flights are full and they can charge whatever they want??? We have the Delta card and love it. You get a free checked bag on all flights for everyone in your party. Also if you don't find 35000 mile flights you can use cash-for-miles and apply 10,000 miles for 100 dollars in airfare in 10,000 increments up to your entire miles. It seems over the years the 35000 mile flights are more scarce unless you don't care on what day you fly. The calendar feature on their site shows which days the 35000 mile tickets are available. I was just looking for next winter and am finding 35000 mile flights from Madison to Montego Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Beach-bum View Post
    We used 30,000 "sky miles" our last trip and saved $300. Be careful with their card. They charge a huge membership fee after the first year.

Life is good
    It's better to sell the miles. I sold 120K for $1500. Then use the money to buy your next ticket. That way you get more miles for the flight.

How do you "sell miles"?

If you book through Delta Vacations and use miles (30,000 for $300) you still earn miles on the flights and double miles on the total vacation cost.

Oh man, you are all so helpful!!! I love the mb and the awesome couples family! In the past tickets have been significantly cheaper out of mke, but now I'm not seeing that. Maybe it's the time of year. We are now indefinitely thanksgiving week visitors.
    I hadn't discovered the calendar for 35,000 flights. I will be checking that out ASAP! We may stay one more day at couples bc A mon -tues flight is $200 cheaper ( total).
    Selling miles... Did u sell to a person you knew? How do you suggest going about that?
    Thanks! We are booking air soon. We are also booking 2015 this week

I just used delta ff points for November 2014 flight, it was way more than 35,000 miles + about $150 pp taxes and fees

I normally use craigslist to sell my miles. I sold 120K for $1500. I purchased 2 first class tickets to MoBay from the west coast for $1920 for the pair. They were 120K to 160K miles each if we used miles plus you have to pay taxes using mileage & you receive No mileage for the flights. I also receive 2 miles for each $1 spent on my American Express of the $1960 worth of tickets and 1.5 miles for every miles flown with first class ticket. PLUS 3 free bags per person. It's a GREAT deal all the way round.
    Last edited by lotsastuff4u; April 28th, 2014 at 04:11 PM.

Sorry to keep bugging you, but how do you sell these on cl? I have sold lots of things on cl, but they were all actually present. Do you transfer them there when the person drops the money? This sounds like a good option, but I really don't know how to go about doing so. Also, how did you come up with the price for your miles?
    Thanks so much!
    Quote Originally Posted by lotsastuff4u View Post
    I normally use craigslist to sell my miles. I sold 120K for $1500. I purchased 2 first class tickets to MoBay from the west coast for $1920 for the pair. They were 120K to 160K miles each if we used miles plus you have to pay taxes using mileage & you receive No mileage for the flights. I also receive 2 miles for each $1 spent on my American Express of the $1960 worth of tickets and 1.5 miles for every miles flown with first class ticket. PLUS 3 free bags per person. It's a GREAT deal all the way round.

I use the Delta card, even with the $95 fee, it is worth it. Racked up enough miles using the card in the last few years to fly my family to Alaska last year. If you take 1 trip a year it is worth having the card just for the baggage fee savings.

Delta doesn't like people selling their miles so you can't list them on ebay but you can on craigslist. Most of the time they are out of state buyer so I use PayPal or Escrow.com. With escrow you and the buyer are protected. Most people need at least 80K miles. After the pay I will book their trip on my account or let them use my account. After the trip is booked I change my password. It cost to much to transfer miles. I have one person I sold to in the past looking for 80K to 125K right now.

On another note about the American Express card about the Skyclub. Its $25 a stop and not a day pass. For those of us who have more than one stop their is no savings. Just found that out. That is why we signed up for the card. I already get free bags on Delta.

Quote Originally Posted by IACouple View Post
    I use the Delta card, even with the $95 fee, it is worth it. Racked up enough miles using the card in the last few years to fly my family to Alaska last year. If you take 1 trip a year it is worth having the card just for the baggage fee savings.
    You might have a good reason for getting the card. 50,000 miles to sign up and it does cost us at least $100 in baggage fees every year. $300 last year with 3 trips to Jamaica. Have to think about it.

Life is good

Quote Originally Posted by Beach-bum View Post
    You might have a good reason for getting the card. 50,000 miles to sign up and it does cost us at least $100 in baggage fees every year. $300 last year with 3 trips to Jamaica. Have to think about it.

Life is good
    You no longer get 50K for just signing up but you still save on baggage. We had to spend $5,000 in 6 months to get 35K but that was easy to do with 2 trips to CSS. Don't believe the savings on SkyClub passes. It's $25 per visit and not per day pass. That was no savings for us.

Madtown Mom: Most of the time they are out of town buyer unless you live in a Delta Hub area. Since cost to much to transfer the miles I normally set up the ticket on my account or let them have access to my account after I have been paid for the miles. Normally most people need at least 80K miles. I have used paypal or escrow.com in the past for payments. That way you are protected.You normally get $.015 to .02 per miles. I have tried for more but I couldn't get it. As EricW pointed out it needs to be kept on the down low however I have had them call Delta and set up the ticket on my account. It has never been a issue.Hope that helps you.
    Last edited by lotsastuff4u; May 7th, 2014 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lotsastuff4u View Post
    Careful, I copied and pasted this directly from the terms and conditions on the Delta Skymiles website.

Sale or Barter Prohibited
    The sale or barter of mileage credit, vouchers, Award Tickets, Medallion status, Pay with Miles tickets or any other benefit by SkyMiles members is prohibited. Delta will terminate or deduct mileage from the account of any member who violates this rule. Award Certificates or Tickets obtained through prohibited sale or barter transactions are VOID, invalid for travel, and will be confiscated. Persons trying to use such tickets will not be permitted to travel unless they purchase a ticket from Delta at the applicable fare.

If somehow your sale raised suspicion and the Delta decided to do an audit the person that you sold the miles to could try to check in for their flight and find that their ticket is void. I have actually heard of this happening. Check out the website flyertalk.com and put "selling miles" into the search bar and you will find many examples of what can happen when you get caught selling miles.

Thank you! Totally confusing, but that's just bc I haven't looked into it before. Now I know how. Thanks so much!!!!