Default Ban on Jet Skiing?

Greetings Everyone! I just read on the Negril dot com message board there is a ban on jet skis in the tourist areas until October? Is this true? Is yes, why was there a ban imposed? I must be out of touch and missing some news.... We do not rent jet skis while we're enjoying our time @ CSA and the beach but know this would have quite an impact on guys like Elvis... What in the world happened? Thanks! Love & Respect, Razzl (8 sleeps til paradise!)

Quote Originally Posted by razzldazzlme View Post
    Greetings Everyone! I just read on the Negril dot com message board there is a ban on jet skis in the tourist areas until October? Is this true? Is yes, why was there a ban imposed? I must be out of touch and missing some news.... We do not rent jet skis while we're enjoying our time @ CSA and the beach but know this would have quite an impact on guys like Elvis... What in the world happened? Thanks! Love & Respect, Razzl (8 sleeps til paradise!)
    A local hit and killed a tourist
    Jamie & David
    CN 11/2005 & 10/2008 & 11/2011
    CSS 9/2007, 9/2009, 9/2010, 11/2011, 9/2012, 9/2013
    CTI 9/2013

Razz,

This topic was heavily discussed on TA. The ban was put into place because there have been 2 tourists killed in the last year or so, one last year was a very young girl, 6 years old I believe who killed by a jet ski while sitting on the beach. The other happened in December in Negril when a swimmer was run over by one. The ban has been put into place because the laws were not being enforced, such as buffer zone to keep motorized watercraft away from swimmers. There were not enough police or marine officers to cover the island to insure the safe operation of jet skis.
    Up until recently, there were only 8 licensed jet ski operators in Jamaica, so all the others were illegal operators running with no insurance and would cruise the swim areas to get customers.
    Once the ban is lifted, they will have to operate out of a central location and stay 600 feet off shore. The ban that expires in October is only for the importation of jet skis and may be extended. There is no definite end to the use of jet skis, and the ban will not be lifted until such time that proper enforcement can be implemented.
    From reports back from people who have been recently, the peacefulness is heavenly!!!

A guy snorkeling was killed a couple months ago.

Tom & Erin 22x CSA Veterans
    The Janadians

Don't worry about a thing, 'cuz every little thing is gonna be all right...
    Robert Nesta Marley

A jet skier hit and killed a tourist at a resort on Long Bay...and then ran away.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

Quote Originally Posted by razzldazzlme View Post
    Jet ski struck and ended up killing a tourist.

If you dig further into negril dot com you will find a thread that explains the bad event that caused the ban. A life was lost.
    it's all about the kids

www.issatrustfoundation.com

At CSA now. It's sooooo peaceful without the jet skis! They've also put a second rope out past the first one as a buffer, I guess, for boats, kayaks, etc.

We are CSA now and I have to admit it is WONDERFUL not having them around. I feel bad for those that were legal and losing money, but it makes me feel safer since I am one that enjoys floating out at the rope.

Don't miss them at all. Almost got hit by one two years ago.

Life is good

Oh dear Lord. I am heart sick reading this tragic news. How terrible & awful. Thank you all for informing. We're a bit behind in our JA news... 5 more sleeps though & we'll be on the beach! Please stop by & say hello if you'd like. Love & Respect, Razzl

Plenty of jet-ski accidents in Negril over the last number of years... two in August of last year, one of which killed a 6 year-old JA girl (and injured her sister)... Sean Kingston was seriously injured a couple of years back... and of course, the gent from Las Vegas in December (this was a hit and run)... not to mention a mishap several years ago in which our favorite piano man at SweptAway injured one of his thumbs.

The Jamaican government has done a fine job in acting at this point to beach the industry until they can come up with airtight solutions for licensing and liability issues, training guidelines (for purveyors AND their clients), and regulations for safe conduct of operations.

There seems to be a bit of a conundrum for the resort operators at Negril. The purveyors are perfectly free to operate along Seven-Mile; however, the resort operators have been fairly vocal in their opposition to use of PWC's along Negril, which probably reflects the views of much of their clientele. Given that another segment of their client base enjoys use of PWC's has to weigh somewhat on what the resort operators project officially. The reef preservation folks are having absolute fits about ANY PWC use there.

Folks like Elvis have got to be feeling the ban on their bottom line. It's truly a shame that someone has to suffer economically, but the mix of water, sun, alcohol, drugs and horsepower were bound to catch up with this segment eventually. It will be interesting to see what October brings.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"