Thread: Beer

Default Beer

We are planning a trip to one of the Couples Resorts. Our first big question is what kind of beers does each of the resorts serve and are they only draft or can we get cans? We in our 60s and cannot put them away like we use to but are kind of set on what kind of beers we like.

If you use the search option in the upper right hand corner of the message board, there are tons of posts on this topic. Cheers!

You have a choice of Red Stripe and Red Stripe Light, on draft and in your room in bottles, although I have only seen Red Stripe in the room. You may be able to get heineken at the Piano bar and they used to have Miller Lite, and that's all the ones I know of and those were at Couples Negril and Couples Swept Away, can't speak for the other side of Montego Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BigBoy View Post
    We are planning a trip to one of the Couples Resorts. Our first big question is what kind of beers does each of the resorts serve and are they only draft or can we get cans? We in our 60s and cannot put them away like we use to but are kind of set on what kind of beers we like.
    CSA had Red Stripe and my husband was not a fan of it.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BigBoy View Post
    Red Stripe & it is good.

These posts are correct. Red Stripe isn't very good but most fizzy yellow beers aren't.

Now having said that, you sure can't beat a cold Red Stripe while enjoying the beach at a Couples resort. Especially CSA. I used to love sitting at the Sunset Bar at around 4:00 or so. The sun beating down, the beach activity winding down, the bartenders radio playing the local reggae station and enjoying a few cold Red Stripes. Just sitting there enjoying the moment and the place. Probably one of the top 5 beers I ever had........and I do not like fizzy yellow beer.

Back to your question....Red Stripe and Red Stripe Light.

Just returned from CN. Red Stripe and Red Stripe Light on tape. Red Stripe bottles in mini-bar. Piano Bar had same on tap but also had Red Stripe Light bottles, Heineken and Guinness bottles available during the special events in the piano bar, i.e. happy hour, manager cocktail hour, wine and cheese event, etc.

You can enjoy whatever beer you like as long as it's red Stripe or red stripe light!

Last weekend as I was anticipating our trip to Couples and looking for a little "Jamaican attitude" to get me in the mood, I turned on some Bob Marley and bought a six pack of Red Stripe. I thought it was a little expensive for a basic lager, but what the heck... It's imported from Jamaica and I am getting geared up for our trip Mon!

Well, I read the label and to my disappointment, Red Stripe sold in the U.S. is brewed by City Brewing Co. in Latrobe, PA! What a bummer. I paid a premium for an average domestic lager which is brewed in PA. Needless to say, I didn't experience that "attitude" that I was seeking. I just hope the Red Stripe in Jamaica is the real-deal.

Maybe this weekend I will try a dirty banana instead!

I've never actually seen them have Red Stripe Light and I was a light beer drinker - but the regular Red Stripe turned out to be great! I swear I remember another kind of beer in the fridge in the room though - maybe Carib?

Quote Originally Posted by jdubya View Post
    Needless to say, I didn't experience that "attitude" that I was seeking. I just hope the Red Stripe in Jamaica is the real-deal.
    Attitude is all perception. I can't taste PA when I crack open a Red Stripe, but I can picture sitting at a local bar on the island with a wet napkin wrapped around one.

The Red Stripe in JA is the "real deal". As is the Heineken and Guinness

Red Stripe in Jamaica is a diff. animal than the stuff they try to pass off here in the States. The beer in the fridge at Swept Away was always Carib, but they switched this year to bottled Red Stripe. People, Please, Leave the bottled beer in your room. I can't tell you how many small pieces of glass I picked up this year. Not all from beer bottles, but enough was. Let alone seeing empties laying around on the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by BarDar View Post
    Red Stripe in Jamaica is a diff. animal than the stuff they try to pass off here in the States. The beer in the fridge at Swept Away was always Carib, but they switched this year to bottled Red Stripe. People, Please, Leave the bottled beer in your room. I can't tell you how many small pieces of glass I picked up this year. Not all from beer bottles, but enough was. Let alone seeing empties laying around on the beach.
    We just got home last night and saw a couple fill up a plastic bag with red stripe bottles and ice and drinking them on the beach, not smart imo, I agree Bar Dar