Default Booking More than a Year in Advance

We are looking to book trip #6 for some time in 2015-'16. We've never had the luxury of being able to book so far in advance before and be able to take advantage of the wonderful resort credits and good prices. Of course, a lot can happen in one's life in a year or more necessitating a change or cancellation.

I know that Couples has its generous cancellation policy up until 45 days out. However, that still leaves last minute issues/illnesses. This makes me think I also need trip insurance which needs to be purchased at the time we book or close to it. So, if we change or cancel, we lose the cost of the trip insurance, right? In that case, the cancellation policy doesn't seem that great after all. Do people just not purchase trip insurance who book far in advance? This seems risky to me. Any thoughts or insights would be really helpful. Thanks!

Nan,

We usually book the travel but don't get trip insurance till closer to the 45 day mark. This way the Couples cancellation policy is in effect until we need something else to fill in the gap and cover the trip. Hope this helps!!

Are you getting trip insurance through couples.com or a different website? I would always buy trip insurance but each company is different. I booked outside of couples.com and my trip insurance covers cancellation very close to departure date. I wanna say the day before or at least within the week that we leave, something like that. (I booked 8 months out)

We have been taking advantage of the early booking specials for the past few years. We do not purchase our trip insurance at the time of putting the deposit on the trip. We purchase the insurance when we have to pay the balance of the trip. We use a travel agent. If you are booking thru Couples, I don't know what their policy is, whether you have to purchase it up front or can add it on later.

We booked our Nov. 2015 trip last month and opted to hold off on the trip insurance until we pay the balance next year, and yes you are correct if you paid for that upfront now it would not be refunded if you cancelled (along with other extras you opt for now such as Club Mobay, etc.). Not having to pay the balance until 45 days out, and being able to lock in such great rates with a low deposit is one of the million reasons we love Couples. Our first and only trip thus far was to CSA for our honeymoon in May 2012 and we had to book our honeymoon while also planning a cross-country move and our wedding. Without knowing if new jobs and my husband's school schedule would impact our honeymoon travel dates, it was a great comfort having that flexibility. This time around we are celebrating my husband completing Nursing school and once again are faced with an uncertain schedule next Fall (he graduates next May and we have no idea where he will be working by the Fall, what the vacation policy will be, etc.). Once hubby graduates, gets a job, and clears the dates then we will add on Club Mobay, Trip Insurance, and pay the balance. Good luck! : )

This is all really helpful. I'm not sure yet whether I'd book through Couples or through an agent. I've done it both ways in the past. However, each time, I was under the impression that travel insurance had to be purchased at the time of reservation, or at least within a short window thereof. For those of you who have purchased travel insurance later, where did you get it from, and were you able to get cancel for any reason insurance? Could you get it through your travel agent at your late date or did you go to Travel Guard or another site. We typically pay about $120-140 a person for a cancel-for-any-reason policy. Is this in the range of what you paid as well?

Thanks so much!

We book our stay with Couples directly but not the airfare or trip insurance. We just booked for October of 2015 but won't book airfare or trip insurance for some time. For the trip insurance I recommend squaremouth dot com. They let you shop across a bunch of companies and different policies. I don't think there is much of an advantage to booking the trip insurance early. We will generally buy the trip insurance once we book our airfare. That way you know how much the airfare portion is and you can include it in your quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowahawkeyes View Post
    We book our stay with Couples directly but not the airfare or trip insurance. We just booked for October of 2015 but won't book airfare or trip insurance for some time. For the trip insurance I recommend squaremouth dot com. They let you shop across a bunch of companies and different policies. I don't think there is much of an advantage to booking the trip insurance early. We will generally buy the trip insurance once we book our airfare. That way you know how much the airfare portion is and you can include it in your quote.

Thanks! For those who book insurance later, how much do you typically pay for cancel-for-any-reason?

Just FYI, but I booked last year for a trip in April 2014 that we were unable to make. I knew in advance of the 45 days out, and just 'moved' my reservation to next year. I thought that I would lose my trip insurance, believing it was tied to the date of the trip when purchased. However, when we moved the reservation, they reapplied the trip insurance as well as the amount I had paid for it to our account.