Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default "All things Scuba"

We would love to interact with you all and have you post your experiences, questions, pictures or videos about your Scuba experience in Jamaica and at Couples Resorts.
    Michelle Gordon
    ------------------
    On-Island Social Media Coordinator
    Couples Resorts

Looking forward to diving at CSA in two weeks! I dove at Negril during our engagement trip last May and it was great. Awesome boat, clear smooth water, and a short ride to the dive sites.

My fiance took the begining scuba class and really enjoyed it. It helped to get her over here initial fears of being underwater. Since that trip she has gotten her Closed Water certification in town, and will be completing the Open Water Referral at Couples. We're planning to use some of our resort credits to night dive together!

My husband and I did both our OW and AOW certifications at Couples after trying out the resort dive. We were both immediately hooked!
    Jamie & David
    CN 11/2005 & 10/2008 & 11/2011
    CSS 9/2007, 9/2009, 9/2010, 11/2011, 9/2012, 9/2013
    CTI 9/2013

Well its a long time coming! The interaction with fellow divers is something that has been missed since the losing of the CSA FB dive page. It is a welcome addition and look forward to hearing from all of our divers about their expierences and adventures! Thank you Michelle! Scuba Steve Soon Come Back

I was OW certified but ended up getting AOW certified at CN last summer. Could not resist going deep with water that warm and clear. Here is a link to a video I made during that trip.

Note that it may not play on a mobile device but will on a computer due to copyright rules of the music.

Name:  IMG_4309.jpg
Views: 1096
Size:  133.5 KBCjhatting with Jeffery after dive.

A quick 10 minute video of a drift dive with the dive team at Couples Negril in July 2013. That trip was our first real diving after getting certified in the Chicago area before going, and the dive team was very helpful and made us much more comfortable each dive we did.

Name:  1010398_10101338584313409_992637955_n.jpg
Views: 1050
Size:  29.2 KB
    _____
    CN 6/12
    CN 7/13
    CN 12/14

We have logged over 100 dives at Couples, and have enjoyed each and everyone of them! We haven't been home in a few years, but are returning this October. I see that CSA is offering Nitrox, so we were considering using this as our excuse to get our nitrox certs. Has anyone done any nitrox diving at Couples, and if so, is it worth it? As we remember it, all group dives end when the first person gets to 1,000 psi, so the extended bottom time that nitrox affords you would probably never come into play. Also, on our last trip we loved the dive lockers at CSA. It was so great no hauling everything back and forth and our housekeeper had to love it too. I haven't seen any photos of the CTI dive shop since the resort remodel. Do they have dive lockers for rent now too? Thanks and happy bubbles!

I have used the Nitrox at CSA a number of times, and you will find that if you use it twice daily, you will feel refreshed and not overly tired at the end of the day. For what little it costs for Nitrox, I would recommend using it. Unfortunately not all divers that go out are Nitrox certified and when the first diver comes up, all come up. I was looking at my log book today and I have almost doubled my length that I can stay at depth. I had a dive in Mexico about 3 weeks ago with another very qualified diver and we had a 61 minute dive at 60'. He ran out before me, I still had 1100 when back on the boat. This was on air and not Nitrox. It was also on a drift dive, so not much kicking required. I am going back to CTI in August and hpoefully they will have Nitrox there, they did not last year.

JennieD. I'm just back from 2weeks at CSA where I completed both nitrox and rescue. The great team at CSA works with you regarding the length of the dives. Often they will take 2 dive masters on the dives therefore allowing some of the more experienced divers to stay longer. The dive team and I logged a few 60 minute plus dives. Nice on the bottom! Anthony and his team are awesome and do everything to make sure everyone's has a great experience. Don't hesitate to do any upgrading there! Scuba Steve Soon come back

Name:  PICT0073.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  294.1 KBShark at CSA March 2014

Blog Entries

We are loving all the pictures and videos... Please keep sharing
    Michelle Gordon
    ------------------
    Couples Resorts

Do they have weights and weight belts or do you need to bring your own?
    Last edited by jencooper0217; April 29th, 2014 at 04:39 PM. Reason: typos

Couples has all the gear. If you have some of your own equip. go ahead and bring it. It's always nice to use your own mask and fins. I bring my stuff, but a lot of people don't. Have never heard a complaint on the resorts equip.

All Couples Resorts supply everything needed for scuba. Masks, fins, weights and belts, bcd's, regs, and for all their special guests even air! Enjoy. Bring a smile. Wet suits are available for rental if you need one. Water tempature hovers between 78 and 82!

"Even air" awesome!

Blog Entries

Enjoy this awesome video that was shared with us by Repeat guest Grant Parfery from a recent dive at Couples Sans Souci

Michelle Gordon
    ------------------
    Couples Resorts

I miss Franz!! Oh, and Glenroy also. Those guys really had a way of "showing", Swept away. Not sure what the other issues might have been, but those guys were great!

We've done over 4 dozen dives at CN, and the guys in the shop have become good friends, a few of which I communicate with on a weekly or monthly basis. On our last trip, I shot tons of GoPro video, and this is one of my faves: Hawksbill Turtle - Night Dive - Hidden Paradise R: http://youtu.be/eM0MKgDBV0I
    "Brutalize me with music..."

CN: 11/2007, 11/2010, 11/2011, 11/2013

BarDar, or anyone that may know, are Franz and Glenroy not at CSA anymore? You are right, those guys are great. Will miss them if they are not there. Thanks

I have dived and logged over 60 dives at both CSA and CTI and have nothing to but good to say about the dive staff at both locations. There was some talk about 6-8 months ago about Couples Resorts having a Lionfish Contest for the divers that would like to Spear and take out this Invasive Species. While they are beautiful to look at and also very good to eat, they are helping to eradicate the native fish and anything else that they can get into their mouths. NO OTHER SPECIES OF FISH ALLOWED TO BE TAKEN. I made a suggestion that the contest take place during a calendar year for all the Couples Resorts, but the winner be determined by the number of fish taken by a guest during any 5 days of their stay. This would make the contest open to all instead of picking dates throughout the year. I would also recommend that only pole spears be used, no spearguns allowed for safety reasons. I would hope that someone from Couples would see this post and follow up on it. I know that not all divers spearfish and that taking Lionfish is a Dangerous sport, but this would be Couples Resorts taking the initiative to help eradicate the Lionfish from their waters. For those of you that have never tried Lionfish, try them at Feathers at CSA, they are wonderful. The fish taken from this contest could be dontated to Couples so that they could be offered on the menu at all the resorts. I go back to CTI for 10 days beginning 8/22 and can't wait to get back into the water to dive and to hunt. On my first trip 5 years ago the lionfish were out in the open and scared of nothing, on my last trip the fish have gotten smarter and you had to really hunt them by looking in the crevices and going deeper where they are now hiding. I know that this will not be popular with all divers and PETA(people eating tasty animals), but if a handle is not gotten on this species, at some point it will be rare to see any other fish that we are accustomed to seeing, other than the lionfish, and that will be a real shame.

The only problem I would have with this, and have had with this, is when the Resort dive is geared to the Lion Fish hunt. This is when the entire "dive" is following guys looking for the fish, and the point of a resort dive is ignored. Most dives are for "looking", but when the "hunt" is on, a lot of time for everyone else is spent stopped, and waiting for the fishing to end. Personally, I think Lion Fishing should be done as a separate dive and should not take away from a "resort" dive. Hey, don't get me wrong, get those fish, but let the dive be a dive.

I would have no problem with having special dives just for Lionfishing or having a group of divers seperate from other divers so that it would not interfere with the recreational divers. Normally when I have been at Couples one or more of the staff do go fishing, and other than having to drop them off and pick them back up, it does not cause a problem for the other divers. I was just throwing this out for Couples to pick up on and they can tweak it any way they see fit. I am not saying my way is the right way or the only way, because it probably isn't, but maybe other people will join in this thread and something will happen. When I am on a recreational resort dive I always bring my spear and I have never let my fishing interfere with others that are diving. In fact most people that are diving want to watch to see just how it is done. I always stay with the group when diving and carry my light at all times. I take the time to show other divers things that they would not see otherwise because I am always looking in all of the nooks and crannies that hide all kinds of species, not just the Lionfish. It is amazing what you can see when you look, without the light to make things easier to see, you would just normally just pass it by. Couples has the best staff and I am very comfortable diving with them, but they don't always see things to point out to you because they are also looking out for the other divers.

We did the resort dive and OW certification this past January at CN. I struggled in the pool and had issues with not being able to get my mask to seal, but the resort dive went well and the OW was good. Definitely a great comfort level in the water by the 4th dive. Wolfing down jerk chicken at the Beach Grill after a great dive is one of our favourite and most talked about memories. We're booking for January 2015 and can't wait to dive each day.

Name:  13951083 (Large).jpg
Views: 419
Size:  189.4 KB

If it is a Lion Fish "contest", it should be a separate dive. There are a lot of divers who haven't logged the dives like others have, and all they want to do is dive and move. You're not seeing a lot if all you are doing at times is cutting fins and bagging.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast