Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

We are going to CSS for the first time this summer. We are dreaming about our trip and trying to plan what we can and cannot fit in our schedule. How much time activities take will help determine what we have time for

What time of day does the basic entry level scuba start and end? How long is the actual open water dive?

What time of day do the snorkeling trips start and stop.

We would like to add on to the previous question. We are going to CSS this summer in June and have been diving for 30 years all over the world. We would like to participate in all dives possible during our stay. What time does the dive boat usually depart and when does it return from dives? Also, which night do they do the night dive? How soon can you sign up for the dives to make sure we are able to go? How much of our gear do we really need to bring?

Thank you for your responses!

Its so beautiful, wish i could come there

Tiller,

Bring that equipment that you're not willing to use a "rental", I say rental but everything minus a wet suit is free. I bring my BCD, fins, mask and my dive computer. This year I will probably bring my regs. I don't use a wet suit in Negril as the water is warm enough for me. I go to the scuba shop as soon as I have a room number at the resort, you need that to sign up. Get there fill out the releases and show your c-card and see if there is any room on the next trip. At CN you can only sign up one day in advance so I always sign up for the next days dive before going out on the morning dives. I won't comment on the times because I haven't been to CSS. Night dives are only done if enough people sign up. Try recruiting people on the boat during the day if you want to do a night dive, they are not included and do have an extra charge. Also if you have facebook there is a Couples Scuba page where the dive shop managers will respond directly with any questions. You'll get great answers at both places but people will post more videos and photos of the dive sites over there. Enjoy!!

We just got back from CTI where we just got certified PADI Open Water.

The cost was $375 per person and involved a first 4 hour session in the pool doing skill training and an open water dive (no skills tested). After that, there were 3 more open water dives to do. The second one was not skill tested, but the third and fourth one were the main OW skill testing ones -- clear mask, remove mask, air exchange, rescue swimmer, fix gear (belt, BCD, my favorite remove BCD), under water navigation compass. In addition to the dives, there was the bookwork - roughly 5 hours to read and answer questions, and one final exam. I was not the easiest of students -- perhaps one of their more challenging, but the dive staff at CTI (and likely all Couples Resorts) were awesome. They eliminated a lot of the nervousness and got my wife and I through it.

Re: sign up, I can only speak to the CTI side. There were two dives most days (8:30a (2 tanks for certified) & pool session and 10:30a (1 tank)). They had a good idea of who was showing up when, but for the discovery SCUBA, you had to sign up the day before. CTI has a decent size dive boat, so we never had a issue getting to dive. AOW deeper dives were MWF. They used to do afternoon dives, but the choppiness of the sea has stopped it.

All gear was provided to us - BCD, tanks, regulators, fins, masks. Wetsuits were available if you fit - I did not. I did see people bring full kit, but use their tanks.

Name:  17800105_10154797968622663_8230149780320697607_n.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  81.8 KB

I have a PADI OW certification but it's been a while since I dove. Is there a refresher at CN?

Kevin and Linda, CN does offer a refresher for $50. Last time we were there I required a refresher, which was scheduled the morning after our arrival, and I was on the dive boat for the afternoon dive. :-)
    CN Apr 2006 (Married)
    CN Jul 2008
    CTI Mar2010
    CN Apr 2012
    CN Aug 2014

Thank you,

That's exactly what I wanted to know.

Kevin

I will be at Couples Negril May 23-June 1 celebrating my honeymoon. I was planning on getting my advanced open water this trip...well last Saturday I injured my knee and will be on crutches. My Dr gave me clearance to still scuba as swimming is the only activity I can still do with my knee and he said it would be a great start to my physical therapy. Is there anyone else that will be at Negril at the same time who will be diving as well? I promise not to slow down the group, my husband can't dive because of his ears but I was thinking I would ask first here if that would completely offend someone who will be diving if I'm out there with them and if not is anybody willing to give me an extra hand up onto the boat if I need it?

Coming to Negril in a few days - first time diving and plan to get my OW cert. What should I plan to bring to wear? Just swim shorts and water shirt? Should the clothing be tighter or is loose clothing OK?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmar1192 View Post
    Coming to Negril in a few days - first time diving and plan to get my OW cert. What should I plan to bring to wear? Just swim shorts and water shirt? Should the clothing be tighter or is loose clothing OK?
    You can rent a wet suit there (cost unknown), but I used my swim shorts and a standard tech fabric shirt as a rash guard. Cotton obviously less desirable, but loose is fine just be aware looser might get caught on items.

Quote Originally Posted by Daustin View Post
    I will be at Couples Negril May 23-June 1 celebrating my honeymoon. I was planning on getting my advanced open water this trip...well last Saturday I injured my knee and will be on crutches. My Dr gave me clearance to still scuba as swimming is the only activity I can still do with my knee and he said it would be a great start to my physical therapy. Is there anyone else that will be at Negril at the same time who will be diving as well? I promise not to slow down the group, my husband can't dive because of his ears but I was thinking I would ask first here if that would completely offend someone who will be diving if I'm out there with them and if not is anybody willing to give me an extra hand up onto the boat if I need it?
    Maybe your hubby can help you get on the boat before you head off? I doubt that would cause any problems.
    _____
    CN 6/12
    CN 7/13
    Next Trip ???

Does anyone know if the cost is still $375 if you do the book work online? I'm there soon and considering OW cert as the past 2 years I've done discover scuba and I think Suga is going to be mad if I'm back for a third time w/o certifying. I don't have a lot of time at the resort either so I am still on the fence. The online course is $179, so I was wondering if it's that plus $375 at couples.

I'm pretty sure that if you do the online course at home then you can pay the difference at Couples to do the open water dive portion and be done that much quicker!

We will be arriving on August 24th for ten days. Looking forward to seeing everyone.
    You can't lay on the beach and drink rum all day, if you don't get started in the morning!

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13