Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Last year was our first visit and was surprised about the cats! Enjoyed seeing them and visiting with a few of them. Glad to hear they do receive some vet care! None of them ever came on our balcony. I like that they are resort cats, they add to the charm. I can see if someone has allergies it could be a issue! It's pretty easy to avoid them though. This year I was very surprised by two dogs always coming around! Breaks my heart they are strays! One looked to have just had babies maybe? Both dogs were super friendly! Enjoyed them both hanging around on the beach! Wish I would have had dog food with us! Brown girl was thin and the black girl was not as thin. Not everyone is animal lover! But those who are not, need to not be cruel! All animals deserve respect! All they want is to be loved and to eat! They didn't ask to be born and they would love to have home! Sadly they probably won't live long without proper nutrition and vet care! Poor babies! If someone wanted to bring some strays back to US, is there a way to do that? Anyone know? Would love to see a program started to help the animals!

I don't mind the dogs at all but am a little distressed to read that cats sometimes get into the guest rooms. I'm highly allergic to cats...asthmatic reaction, not just itchy eyes, etc. As an animal lover myself, I appreciate how hard it is to resist these cuties. However, cat hairs and dander in a room I was checking into could mean difficulty breathing for me. I can't go to homes for dinner of friends who have cats and once went to the ER after ingesting a cat hair accidentally at a restaurant that had a cat that wandered around many years ago.

For the sake of guests with severe allergies, and to avoid fleas, it would be great if other guests would not invite cats into their rooms or feed them near the restaurants. Pet dander sticks around long after the pet has left. Even with cleaning.

I'm with Nan on this one. Love animals, love cats… but I also am highly allergic. And from personal experience the allergic reaction to cats is often more severe than your typical sneezing and itching eyes of some other allergies. So please… don't allow them in your room.

Name:  Patois Pup - Jamaica.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  68.1 KB
    We ABSOLUTELY fell in love with this Pooch we hung out w/ the week of May 3rd. She made us miss our own furry kids back home a little less. Someone told me that a guest had offered to have her spayed, then possibly taken to a no kill shelter. I worried about her so much after we left, I was hoping they would spay her and let her roam the beaches as she seemed to love it so much (and people love her just as much). If anyone at Couples could give me an update, I would appreciate it very much! Love you, girl!

I posted about the cats sneaking into our room. They got in because we were in a first floor room and we left the verandah doors wide open while we were sitting on our verandah. Bob is also allergic to cats. We solved the issue of them getting into the room simply by closing the verandah doors while we sat on the balcony. We completely understand the issue with cat allergies. We absolutely did not coax or invite them into our room because Bob would've had a reaction for the rest of our trip had they stayed long.

First of all, I've never seen a flea on any of the cats. One dog on the beach was scratching but maybe he just had dry skin from too much sun . As for the cats getting into the rooms, unless you leave your door open, they can't come in any easier than the drunk guy from the room two buildings can! Relax!

I have to agree, not a big pet person (have had them my entire life, and just put our little Yorkie down about 6 months ago) and it's a pain when you are trying to eat and the cats jump on the table or keep rubbing against you. I'm somewhat allergic to cats but also get a bad rash from fleas so my hope is when we come home in Oct that we don't have to deal with this. Sorry to all the pet lovers, just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Bliss View Post
    Name:  Patois Pup - Jamaica.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  68.1 KB
    We ABSOLUTELY fell in love with this Pooch we hung out w/ the week of May 3rd. She made us miss our own furry kids back home a little less. Someone told me that a guest had offered to have her spayed, then possibly taken to a no kill shelter. I worried about her so much after we left, I was hoping they would spay her and let her roam the beaches as she seemed to love it so much (and people love her just as much). If anyone at Couples could give me an update, I would appreciate it very much! Love you, girl!
    Omg! What a great picture of baby girl! That's what I called her! She is so sweet! I just busted out crying seeing her pretty picture! Breaks my heart she and the black dog are homeless! Running the beach looking for some love and food! I think she recently had babies. So worried about her and have not stopped thinking about her! I wanted to bring her home! I hope she gets fixed and can find a great home! That's awesome! Yes a update would be great!!

Just to calm the allergic, in our trips to CSS and CSA, not one cat or dog even tried to enter our room or ever showed up on our balcony. And the rooms were fur free. Probably because we were always in 2nd or 3rd story rooms.

My main allergy is shellfish, so the closest to understanding that I can get is being invited to an event with only mixed shrimp/chicken fajitas or low country boil. I've had both happen, and it annoys the mess out of me. "Can't you just pick it out?" No. I'll die.

Quote Originally Posted by AJandCaitlin View Post
    Just to calm the allergic, in our trips to CSS and CSA, not one cat or dog even tried to enter our room or ever showed up on our balcony. And the rooms were fur free. Probably because we were always in 2nd or 3rd story rooms.

My main allergy is shellfish, so the closest to understanding that I can get is being invited to an event with only mixed shrimp/chicken fajitas or low country boil. I've had both happen, and it annoys the mess out of me. "Can't you just pick it out?" No. I'll die.
    <"Can't you just pick it out?" No. I'll die.> Right! It's hard for people to understand severe allergies when they haven't experienced them or have had a family member with them, but they are what they are. The just relax "suggestion" doesn't work when breathing (or anaphylaxis as above) is involved. Negril is not known for its emergency medical services either. Does anyone actually relax when told to relax, btw, lol? To me it always sounds like it's belittling others' concerns. I've been to CSA 4 times and saw more strays on our last trip than I ever had before so I think I have a pretty good basis to judge. We've always had a 3rd floor room so it has never been an issue. We avoided hanging out on our friends' 1st floor BFVS balcony on our most recent trip because of the cats that frequented it and they never fed or encouraged them.

BobandJudy, thanks so much for clarifying about not inviting the cats into the room and efforts you made to prevent it happening again. I hope others are also not letting them enter, though it certainly sounds easy enough for them to get in. The post that they are jumping on tables and rubbing up against guests at the Palms is most disturbing and I really hope CSA finds a way to put a stop to this and to guests feeding the cats near any of the outdoor dining establishments.

I think they are really cute too. The photos that have been posted on this thread are great. But if I sit on a balcony chair in a swim suit where a cat has been recently, my skin will break out and my airway will narrow. That's not my idea of a fun vacation. I hope that Couples can address this cat situation.

Aw, CaribbeanLove - thank you for your post-- I called her Patois (I know, original!) but holy cow, I fell so in love with her, I can't even tell you. So here's the thing. I too am so worried about her because when I heard she may be taken to a no kill shelter, I was mortified because I heard she had puppies too and I am wondering what will happen to THEM if she goes away. I love the little black dog too, but this little girl completely stole my heart. I cried on the way home thinking about her. If I could have, I would've done whatever I could to get her home. I know she gets shown a lot of love, I just hope someone can give us an update. If I hear anything, I'll let you know. (I wish I was in contact w/ anyone at Couples, but I'm not).. One Love!

I recently read a review on TA of a couple that enjoyed their stay, but was a bit annoyed by the dogs on the beach. They tried to shew the dog away with no luck. When they asked for help from the staff they were criticized by other guests. We all have things we do and don't enjoy. If someone is on vacation and doesn't want to spend the afternoon in the shade with a smelly dog, please don't criticize their preference. I have a dog at home, but don't want to have to have one camp out with me all week on the beach. The worst part of the review on TA was the response from the management. They are trying their best to deal with the stray dogs, but the guests keep feeding the dogs. I think we should go to Jamaica to relax and enjoy, not to make it our mission to personally feed the hungry dogs. Just my thought. Enjoy your pets at home, pet one on the beach, but don't feed them and encourage them to take up residence.

We've never really ran into this at CSA. Yes, we've seen a few cats here and there, but not a ton of them. When we were at CSS, the cats would come up while you were eating breakfast, and I did not like that. I'm allergic to all animals, basically anything with fur. My eyes will literally swell shut so I really hope this is overexaggerated. I wish guests wouldn't feed them because then yes they are are going to come back and for some of us, that's really bad news.
    CSA - May 2009, May 2010, March 2011 (wedding), December 2012, May 2014 CSS - December 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Bliss View Post
    Aw, CaribbeanLove - thank you for your post-- I called her Patois (I know, original!) but holy cow, I fell so in love with her, I can't even tell you. So here's the thing. I too am so worried about her because when I heard she may be taken to a no kill shelter, I was mortified because I heard she had puppies too and I am wondering what will happen to THEM if she goes away. I love the little black dog too, but this little girl completely stole my heart. I cried on the way home thinking about her. If I could have, I would've done whatever I could to get her home. I know she gets shown a lot of love, I just hope someone can give us an update. If I hear anything, I'll let you know. (I wish I was in contact w/ anyone at Couples, but I'm not).. One Love!
    I wonder if they actually have a shelter there? Indeed worried about her babies too! I will do the same if I hear anything.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinries View Post
    I recently read a review on TA of a couple that enjoyed their stay, but was a bit annoyed by the dogs on the beach. They tried to shew the dog away with no luck. When they asked for help from the staff they were criticized by other guests. We all have things we do and don't enjoy. If someone is on vacation and doesn't want to spend the afternoon in the shade with a smelly dog, please don't criticize their preference. I have a dog at home, but don't want to have to have one camp out with me all week on the beach. The worst part of the review on TA was the response from the management. They are trying their best to deal with the stray dogs, but the guests keep feeding the dogs. I think we should go to Jamaica to relax and enjoy, not to make it our mission to personally feed the hungry dogs. Just my thought. Enjoy your pets at home, pet one on the beach, but don't feed them and encourage them to take up residence.
    I had read the same review! I think it's was a bit over exaggerated! Dogs didn't stay by anyone who didn't want them too! They know who animal people are! It's a public beach! Appears to me Jamaica and the resorts have respect for the animals! Just not the funds and needs to care for them! Every country has stray issues! Mostly around the world from irresponsible people! Cats are resort cats and have been around for sometime! They serve a great purpose! Where the dogs have come from, who knows! No dogs last year, when we were there! But they don't need to be ignored and no it's not anyone's mission to feed them! Just because we are on vacation doesn't mean that we shouldn't take notice and care! The brown girl just recently had babies! She needs to eat! She was thin! So sweet and such a beautiful soul! The black dog was sweet also! They didn't ask to be born! They just want some love and food! It's our responsibility to help the helpless as humans! To be kind to all of Gods animals! If something bad happens to any of those babies because some guests have complaints about them, shame on them! Many will be very upset! Instead of some people complaining maybe try and help! Sadly that's a big problem all around the world! Not enough people care or care to actually step up and try to help! They just want to turn a blind eye and expect someone else to do something! I am trying to help from home! Would like to see these girls get into a loving home! They need to be fixed and so do the babies! Maybe Couples can come up with a fund for the animals? I think most guests would donate! Would love to see something get started! I have prayed for them!

I like animals in general as I own livestock, have farm dogs, barn cats, you name it. I totally understand everyone's point of view and am not going to rant but I did get a smile the first time I saw a cat in that it reminded me of home....that little guy had a job to do. Of course it isn't to be in someones room or to be a pet, but that's neither here nor there. My second thought after seeing the cat was...we are walking in one huge litter box. I then quickly realized my drink was empty.
    CSA 2010, 2013
    CTI in the future but too many days to count...who's kidding, 2015 here we come!

I am looking at booking for next June. I am EXTREMELY allergic to cats and my mom is extremely scared of cats. Is this going to be a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Caribbeanlove View Post
    I had read the same review! I think it's was a bit over exaggerated! Dogs didn't stay by anyone who didn't want them too! They know who animal people are! It's a public beach! Appears to me Jamaica and the resorts have respect for the animals! Just not the funds and needs to care for them! Every country has stray issues! Mostly around the world from irresponsible people! Cats are resort cats and have been around for sometime! They serve a great purpose! Where the dogs have come from, who knows! No dogs last year, when we were there! But they don't need to be ignored and no it's not anyone's mission to feed them! Just because we are on vacation doesn't mean that we shouldn't take notice and care! The brown girl just recently had babies! She needs to eat! She was thin! So sweet and such a beautiful soul! The black dog was sweet also! They didn't ask to be born! They just want some love and food! It's our responsibility to help the helpless as humans! To be kind to all of Gods animals! If something bad happens to any of those babies because some guests have complaints about them, shame on them! Many will be very upset! Instead of some people complaining maybe try and help! Sadly that's a big problem all around the world! Not enough people care or care to actually step up and try to help! They just want to turn a blind eye and expect someone else to do something! I am trying to help from home! Would like to see these girls get into a loving home! They need to be fixed and so do the babies! Maybe Couples can come up with a fund for the animals? I think most guests would donate! Would love to see something get started! I have prayed for them!
    YOU TOOK THE WORDS RIGHT OUT OF MY MOUTH, MY FRIEND. We have three rescue dogs at home - all have great lives thanks to people who care about them. Thank god for people who do take notice of these poor souls all over the world!

Futuremr.ellis I wouldn't worry about it. The place is huge and if a cat crosses your path, stop at the nearest bar and refill your drink.
    CSA 2010, 2013
    CTI in the future but too many days to count...who's kidding, 2015 here we come!

it is not the cats that wander the property that are the problem, it is the cats who decide that your verandah is their home for the week and will not leave. Or the one that sits on the rail at the Palms Restaurant right next to where people are eating. If you have allergies or are fearful as the lady indicated above, then no amount of drink refills will solve the problem.

"I had read the same review! I think it's was a bit over exaggerated! Dogs didn't stay by anyone who didn't want them too! They know who animal people are! It's a public beach! Appears to me Jamaica and the resorts have respect for the animals! Just not the funds and needs to care for them! Every country has stray issues! Mostly around the world from irresponsible people! Cats are resort cats and have been around for sometime! They serve a great purpose! Where the dogs have come from, who knows! No dogs last year, when we were there! But they don't need to be ignored and no it's not anyone's mission to feed them! Just because we are on vacation doesn't mean that we shouldn't take notice and care! The brown girl just recently had babies! She needs to eat! She was thin! So sweet and such a beautiful soul! The black dog was sweet also! They didn't ask to be born! They just want some love and food! It's our responsibility to help the helpless as humans! To be kind to all of Gods animals! If something bad happens to any of those babies because some guests have complaints about them, shame on them! Many will be very upset! Instead of some people complaining maybe try and help! Sadly that's a big problem all around the world! Not enough people care or care to actually step up and try to help! They just want to turn a blind eye and expect someone else to do something! I am trying to help from home! Would like to see these girls get into a loving home! They need to be fixed and so do the babies! Maybe Couples can come up with a fund for the animals? I think most guests would donate! Would love to see something get started! I have prayed for them!"

I don't want to disagree with you, but that couple was US and I stand by what I said. There was a Couples employee as witness.

Everyone has their opinion and tolerance level of pets. Ours differs from yours. I don't see why yours counts more than ours since we paid the same for our vacation as you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Futuremrs.ellis View Post
    I am looking at booking for next June. I am EXTREMELY allergic to cats and my mom is extremely scared of cats. Is this going to be a problem?

No worries! We have been there twice. Cats roam around grounds/paths! See them more at night near the paths or flowers! Sometimes you may see one or two near the grill area. Sitting or laying down. Some only come around people that want them to. Many just run away!

I love this response! I would also recommend asking for a third floor room, and refilling your drink. Not sure where you're from, allergic person, but there are no more cats at CSA than there are in South Florida... Probably fewer, in fact, so you should be just fine.

If someone would not have mentioned cats while we were there, I would never have seen them. I actually had to look for them as I like all animals, but I also empathize with those who have allergies. Did notice a couple of dogs on the beach, but never was close to them and they seemed to be very well behaved.

And if it helps, we've been here at CN for over 24 hours in a ground floor room and have yet to see a cat or dog. And I've been looking! Only birds joined us for breakfast on the patio - birds without fear!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast