Default Beach Vendors at CN

Hey,
    Can someone please comment on the Vendors that walk down the beach at Couples Negril. My husband and I are planning an anniversary trip. We went to CSS on our honeymoon in 2014 and want to come back 2016, but want to try a new place. I would love to see the Negril beaches. CSS beach was still pretty, but I don't think it compares to Negril beaches, right?!
    Anyway, we chose CSS because of the private beach. This was something my husband was very adamant about, he didn't want any vendors bothering him. Can someone soothe his mind about vendors in Negril? He seems to think the beach is going to look like the market leaving Dunn's River Falls...

We love both CN and CSS, (actually have a slight preference for CSS overall), but yes, the beach at CN is significantly better.

It has been a few years since we were there, but the vendors were not a problem at all. The great thing about the CN beach is it is very deep, so you can sit way back from the shore line and still have a great ocean view, but the vendors must stay along the shore line unless you call them up. There is security on the beach that makes sure of this.

And, honestly there weren't that many, (certainly NOTHING like leaving Dunn's, good grief, no, don't worry about that!) and the ones that were there were very charming. We loved it when people would call up the musicians, it provided such great local flavor, but not at all intrusive.

We spent a day at CSA and one of the things I didn't love about it was how narrow the beach was and that it felt a bit like the vendors were on top of you, and there did seem to be more of them. But still, it wasn't bad.

If I had to describe the beach at CN in one word, it would be serene. Tell him to relax! You are going to love it.

The Vendors walking the beach at Couples Negril are not aggressive and a polite no thank you with a smile is all they need to hear. There are also not that many of them. If you sit back from the tide line, hard packed sand, 20 or 30 feet they will not be an issue as they are supposed to stay on the packed sand, that is public. The guards do a good job of keeping any vendor from walking in the soft sand to bother anyone. The musicians will walk in the soft sand, stop and play a tune while putting their tip can out. I enjoy those and some of them are quite entertaining and fun to interact with. The beach is very wide, and we usually sit back where it is shady and no one bothers you there vendors or musicians. I was afraid of the Vendors as well on our first trip, but after that I hardly even notice them, and like I said, a polite no thank you, is all that is needed and they seem to remember that from day to day and leave you alone. Is good Mon!

The vendors that walk the beach at CN do not bother you. They walk by holding up whatever their selling and keep moving if nobody stops them to buy something. Security does not allow them to come up away from the water anyway. Besides there are not too many of them on this section of beach. Not like over on 7 mile beach proper. Bloody Bay is more laid back
    Captain Jim
    "I will grow old....
    But I won't grow up"

Beach musician Donnavon Dalrymple is a CN institution. I look forward to his music every day. We spent a week at CSS in December and I really missed the local flavor of the musicians and vendors. We are CN people at heart and they are part of the overall experience (to us).

We have always gone to CN and the vendors do not hassle you, they keep moving. We did trading places to CSA and were surprised at how many vendors were there and they did seem to approach you more than at CN but a "no thank you" was enough to have them move on. There is one musician that comes through and stops to play along the beach at CN each day and he was the highlight of our mornings! We'd hurry to the beach to hear him play. He takes tips but is not pushy and we gave him a $20 on our last morning as his well deserved tip for the week. I can't wait to get to hear him play again!

Like others have said, nothing about the beach at either CN or CSA will even remotely resemble the gauntlet that is the exit from Dunn's River Falls. It's easy to avoid the vendors on the beach, they aren't nearly as pushy, and there are not nearly as many of them (you'll pass by more vendors in 60 seconds at Dunn's River Falls than you are likely to see in an entire week at CN or CSA).

As others have also said, some of the "vendors" are musicians, and many find them to add a great ambiance to the beach; if a little live music is going to ruin the vibe for you, this could be a problem, because it's pretty hard to avoid hearing them, even if you stay back from the water line. (I think most of them are pretty talented, and I love having a little live reggae on the beach a few times each day, but others -- including you -- may feel differently.)

I will say that if this is a significant concern but you really want to sample Negril, you're definitely better off at CN than at CSA. While there are more vendors overall at CSA, the real difference (again as others have mentioned) is that the CSA beach is longer and narrower than the CN beach. Thus, while the vendors must stay down at the water line at both properties, you can be much farther back from the water line and still be on CNs beach than you can at CSA.

In the end, unless the few random musicians will ruin things for you, I would definitely give the Negril side of the island a try.

They seem to be less pushy at CN than CSA, but in both places, a firm no is enough. And believe it or not, they can be very entertaining. I really missed the cigarettes cigars guy the couple of days we didn't see (hear) him. It's part of the flavor of the locale. There was one little band that walked by, when we were there 2 weeks ago, and the one guy was carrying a cello. A very beat up sun bleached cello, but how cool is that.

I liked the vendors more than I thought I would. I bet you will too.

thanks all for the replies! the musicians would definitely not bother us at all, my hubby is a musician after all!!! He was/is just concerned about being hassled while lying on the beach, but all the answers have definitely helped!!! thanks!!

We are CSS people and did a split stay last summer at CN beautiful beach but I must admit I didn't like the vendor who kept walking up and down the beach yelling trying to have people go parasailing. Donovan was amazing though!

Quote Originally Posted by jchapman View Post
    Hey,
    Can someone please comment on the Vendors that walk down the beach at Couples Negril. My husband and I are planning an anniversary trip. We went to CSS on our honeymoon in 2014 and want to come back 2016, but want to try a new place. I would love to see the Negril beaches. CSS beach was still pretty, but I don't think it compares to Negril beaches, right?!
    Anyway, we chose CSS because of the private beach. This was something my husband was very adamant about, he didn't want any vendors bothering him. Can someone soothe his mind about vendors in Negril? He seems to think the beach is going to look like the market leaving Dunn's River Falls...
    Just back from our first (not last!) visit to CN. Beach vendors (whether those that walked by CN beach or those we met when walking along the bay past other resorts) were absolutely not a problem. Enjoyed chatting with them, they never pushed when we said we weren't interested and I still hear the lovely lilt of "Para-sailin', toobin' rides" "Seegarettes, cigars, cigars, cigars" in my dreams.

No problem with vendors last week...there were very few of them, and most times we barely knew they existed. And yes, Donovan is amazing. After the very first day listening to him perform, we eagerly waited for him to show up again each day.

Nancy
    CTI - 2013
    CN - 2015