Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Yes everyone has a opinion and tolerance to things or animals! They are not pets!! I never said anything for you to assume our opinion or vacation counts more!! Everyone does not pay the same for their vacation. We all have a right to enjoy our vacation! I hope the dogs end up getting the love and care they need and want! We as guests could all help! Weather anyone is a animal person or not! They still deserve compassion and respect! I just can't see an encounter/witnessing that was harmless really,keeping someone from enjoying CSA and not returning!

There are cats there!! Enjoy your vacation!

ok, 4 years ago i remember seeing only one dog and this was on my wedding day, it was a brief visit from the dog.. i am british born but live in spain where i work and volunteer in a animal refuge, raising funds and coping with daily life with constant abandoned and abused animals is really stressful, but its our choice so we do what we can regardless.
    What concerns me is the dogs, the cats great if they are being spayed fantastic, it shows education not ignorance, i also have cat and dog allergies, i have 8 dogs of my own all rescue and 3 cats rescues also, i live day to day life on a high dose of prescribed antihistamines (crazy i know but i love my fur babies) if you are allergic gently shoo the cats away they are not silly cats go where there is food and by the sounds of it there are plenty of other happily willing people on holiday who will adore the company of cats.
    Back to dogs, i totally respect peoples opinions of dogs on the beach, but the reality is these dogs are stray, if the hotel is spaying the dogs then wonderful (i hope this is something they are doing to prevent unwanted homeless puppies) maybe they should contact a rescue centre to help rehome these dogs as as much as i adore animals and work with them daily i do not want to be spending my holiday worrying about the local stray dogs if they are fed watered, well or poorly, by the looks of things this is what i am going to be doing!
    Does anyone know if there is a program with the dogs? i hope the hotel have done this the same with the cats and remember cats or rodents, i know what i prefer cats all the way!
    arriving June 20th can't wait yet am already stressing about the pooch situation at csa i hope it is not as bad as it is stated, for the dogs sake :-(

Ok the more i am reading the more i am concerned, as i have already stated in a previous post i work at an animal shelter in spain and am a returning guest to csa, i shall discuss with the manager when there about maybe setting up a paypal donation towards the spaying of cats and dogs, cats i agree are needed due to rodents but the dogs surely there is a no kill rescue somewhere, i am looking into this now x

I think this issue has been a bit overblown. I sympathize with those that suffer from allergies, for some they can be debilitating and even life threatening. I understand. But if you have been to CSA before and suffered no ill effects I would say you will still be just fine. The cats are not a new feature, they have been around for as long as there has been a CSA. I would bet that most guests never see a cat the entire time they are there. This is why the cat lovers find it so enjoyable to spot them or catch a photo. They are very timid for the most part and avoid human contact unless effort is put forward to gain their attention and trust. They also serve a purpose, cats are hunters, they provide a natural control of what most of us would find even less desirable than the cats themselves. Suffice to say the they earn their keep. They will do their best to avoid us, if we leave them alone they will leave us alone. I hardly think this need be a point of anxiety or an issue to raise with management. You probably have cats in your own neighborhood that would be more a health concern than the cats at CSA.
    Just my 2 cents on the subject.
    See you at the beach!
    dirtleg & sandyfoot

There were most definitely more cats around CSA on trip #4 than the 3 previous which is why I was concerned that there are even more now. One notices creatures that make it hard for one to breathe :-(. I am a huge animal lover and contribute in multiple charitable ways to animal care and causes. My desire to avoid cats fully on vacation is a matter of health not a distaste for animals. I avoid them completely at home as well. I do not have an asthmatic reaction to dogs. On our last trip, as I said, the cats were all over our friends' BFVS patio. They were not shyly hiding away. This was not an issue of 2 or 3 resort cats there to keep rodents in check. If we could easily spot a few kittens, how many more were lurking? I hope that my desire not to encounter a single cat on my balcony or at a meal on our next trip to CSA is not judged as my lack of caring for "God's creatures"...really. Resorts ask if we need feather-free pillows for our beds to help allergy sufferers. That does little if the Three Little Kittens have made themselves guests on my patio. It will mean I can't enjoy my patio. I will ask for a 3rd floor room in case the cat issue is indeed worse, but we know there are no guarantees with room requests.

well said dirtleg, i remember jogging round the complex and seeing a little purpose built house, a wooden little thing for the cats with food in, the hotel obviously care and yes if i had not of gone this particular route on this day i would not have seen one cat! I would not raise with the management in an abrupt manner but with the dog situation i am looking at local shelters to see if they will help if any need spaying or vet care, so a chat with the management for advice or maybe even suggest a rescue shelter to help to spay then put back, i will more than willingly contribute towards this, yesterday i think i was being more emotional about the matter as i deal with stay dogs daily, now thinking with the head and not the heart :-) Just get so concerned when people start stressing instead of wanting to help solve the situation when it comes to animals, when are you guys at csa? x

Oh help, not only have cats taken over the entire Interweb but they have now even infested the Couples webbie! Kittens can, I submit, be exceedingly cute but cats? Meh. Dogs give a hint that they are pleased to see you and can't believe that you are back again but cats always seem to give that look of disdain. See first photo above of ginger cat. He/She is basically saying...'er, hello!! What are you doing and why are you doing it anywhere near me? Can't you see I am taking a cat nap! Now move on please'. hehehehe.

Enjoy the kitties and the stray dogs too but, as stated above, please do not encourage them to hang around restaurants and bars by feeding them.

Wowee...whole lot of anger and paranoia on here! For those of you who are allergic, how do you avoid animals in the town where you live? It's no different at CSA! You shoo a dog, it goes away. You don't leave your doors to your room wide open, and a cat doesn't come in (although I've never seen a cat go in, including the one sitting at our front door WHICH WAS THE PURPOSE OF MY ORIGINAL POST!! I opened the door, left it open to get my camera...and lo and behold, the cat didn't enter my room and contaminate it!

If you're allergic to cats or dogs, I strongly suggest you don't try to pick these or any other animal In Any other town or country up. The dogs on the beach are far less disturbing to a relaxing Jamaican vacation than the dude who is on his fifth beer by 10:00 am or the drunken partiers screaming in the hot tub at midnight...thinking they're in their own back yard.

Back to my original post...here's a photo of another furry friend. Please enjoy, or don't look. . Name:  image.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  234.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Size:  109.2 KB

Everyone has to remember that this is a third world country. The dogs and cats here are mostly strays and no one can really afford to spay or neuter them nor do they probably have a sufficient amount of veteranians available to do it. This is an amazing 4-5 star resort, but they cant control what's going on outside of it. I've had more problems with birds then I have with the cats and dogs. Just shoo them away and they will leave. Remember, it might be paradise(to my wife and I, it is) but everything isn't perfect. Also, the cats are probably on the resort to take out the rodents that might be roaming around(if there are any)

Stash

Oh Suzi, I have seen the female dog year after year and love spending a little time with her. She is very sweet and caring, I wish she could lay with me all day on the beach but I fear it would upset some other guests. I am with jacqueline, in that my heart goes out to the animals and I wish I could do more to help. Something I feel is being missed here is, like metalmanstan mentions, Jamaica is a third world country. Wherever you are from would have the same issues if the City/County did not have an animal control department. These animals did not ask to be born into this situation but deserve the love they desperately seek... We will all never agree on this topic but I think we can all agree to not let them in our rooms to satisfy half the arguement and the rest of us can give them all the attention we want to them when/where appropriate.

Well, this is our last night at CN and not ONE cat or dog seen in five days. Ugh. This is totally going on the comment card. Only negative of the whole trip. :P

Hi everyone we have just returned from CSA and as i stated before i was worried with the cats and dogs situation, firstly the cats around the resort really do know when they are welcome or not, they are very friendly and enjoy the life of luxury around the beautiful gardens of CSA, they are really lovely and add a lovely touch to the resort as they are well fed and very well cared for. Regarding the dogs this was a problem but only if you want to look for it, vendors walk the beach and care for the dogs the best they can, we met a blind man on the beach called william with 3 dogs one with a very bad infected wound, me and my husband took responsibility for the 3 dogs who are now in montego bay vets 4 pets, also may i add these guys are amazing and so was the help of maureen from animal house for making this possible, 2 of the dogs will go to canada to a rescue shelter and 1 will arrive here in spain with us, please look at my facebook page, benalmadena animal rescue shelter to see photos! we loved our trip so much we will be returning november 2nd 2014, best place ever and dont let the cats and dogs situation put you off, it is only if you are like me who goes looking for dramas, otherwise you will be just fine, xx

Jacuiline, my dear, you are a saint. Much respect.
    See you at the beach!
    dirtleg & sandyfoot

I, too, Respect!!!!

Thank you Jaqueline !!!

jacqueline,

You are amazing and your post brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for taking care of the dogs. I would not have known where to begin.

jacqueline - AMAZING!!!!! So happy to hear about these dogs getting healthy and being moved to a place where they will hopefully be adopted, loved and cared for the rest of their days!!!

Ditto to what Dirtleg said. That is simply amazing. I know it has been said before but I would much rather have cats around rather than rodents... I hate mieces to pieces to quote Tom from "Tom and Jerry".

Quote Originally Posted by jacqueline View Post
    Hi everyone we have just returned from CSA and as i stated before i was worried with the cats and dogs situation, firstly the cats around the resort really do know when they are welcome or not, they are very friendly and enjoy the life of luxury around the beautiful gardens of CSA, they are really lovely and add a lovely touch to the resort as they are well fed and very well cared for. Regarding the dogs this was a problem but only if you want to look for it, vendors walk the beach and care for the dogs the best they can, we met a blind man on the beach called william with 3 dogs one with a very bad infected wound, me and my husband took responsibility for the 3 dogs who are now in montego bay vets 4 pets, also may i add these guys are amazing and so was the help of maureen from animal house for making this possible, 2 of the dogs will go to canada to a rescue shelter and 1 will arrive here in spain with us, please look at my facebook page, benalmadena animal rescue shelter to see photos! we loved our trip so much we will be returning november 2nd 2014, best place ever and dont let the cats and dogs situation put you off, it is only if you are like me who goes looking for dramas, otherwise you will be just fine, xx
    Jacqueline, you and your husband are amazing people...God Bless You! I gave a small donation to the Animal House Jamaica and received a thank-you email from Maureen. She does a great job there and you guys certainly did too! We all have one life...animals too! I think people who value those lives are extra special! Thanks Again! Great Job!

Jacqueline, you are an inspiration to me! So many people care but don't act (usually because they don't know where to start). Too many times I am one of those people. Reading your post and knowing that those three dogs will be cared for all because of you has made my day. You have refreshed my faith in humanity and have made me resolve to be more like you - somebody who not only cares but actually DOES something! You have my admiration and my gratitude.

Oh Jacqueline! This brings my heart so much happiness! Thank you thank you thank you so very much for what you and others have done for these sweet animals! I just have one question (for you or anyone who has been to CSA recently) -- the female dog pictured by Suzi on May 21 -- did you see her on your trip? She is the one I fell in LOVE with when I was there in May and have worried about her so much since then. Please let me know if you have any update on her (I heard a rumor she was taken to a shelter the week we were leaving but I just wondered if it was true). Thank you from the bottom of our hearts. Truly one Love! xox

Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
    Wowee...whole lot of anger and paranoia on here! For those of you who are allergic, how do you avoid animals in the town where you live? It's no different at CSA! You shoo a dog, it goes away. You don't leave your doors to your room wide open, and a cat doesn't come in (although I've never seen a cat go in, including the one sitting at our front door WHICH WAS THE PURPOSE OF MY ORIGINAL POST!! I opened the door, left it open to get my camera...and lo and behold, the cat didn't enter my room and contaminate it!

If you're allergic to cats or dogs, I strongly suggest you don't try to pick these or any other animal In Any other town or country up. The dogs on the beach are far less disturbing to a relaxing Jamaican vacation than the dude who is on his fifth beer by 10:00 am or the drunken partiers screaming in the hot tub at midnight...thinking they're in their own back yard.

Back to my original post...here's a photo of another furry friend. Please enjoy, or don't look. . Name:  image.jpg
Size:  234.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Size:  109.2 KB
    What's that commercial, "if you don't get it, you don't get it." That adorable cat on the verandah that you photographed...if it had been lounging on my verandah sofa or chair and then I sat on that sofa or chair later, I'd be itching and wheezing. At the restaurants in my hometown, they don't have cats wandering around on the furniture, inside or out. I simply do not go to friends' houses that have cats, and ask beforehand whenever I am visiting someone for the first time. I invite them to mine instead. They are understanding and I've found that most people who have known or seen someone with asthma symptoms or are educated about it are. When we've bought a new house or rented one in our younger days, we always made sure previous owners did not have cats. That's how I "avoid animals in the town where I live". If I rent a lake house, I check first to see if the owners have cats or have allowed guests with cats to stay. When I hug a friend who has a cat, or sit next to them at a party, I often need my inhaler because of the cat hair/dander on their clothing.

It's easy to be dismissive when you don't struggle with this. I've been to CSA several times as well, so I know the cats are not invisible and I have seen them on verandahs...cute photos here to confirm. I will request a higher floor as always on my upcoming trip and hope I do not encounter any in the outdoor spaces at the restaurants.

Quote Originally Posted by Nan View Post
    What's that commercial, "if you don't get it, you don't get it." That adorable cat on the verandah that you photographed...if it had been lounging on my verandah sofa or chair and then I sat on that sofa or chair later, I'd be itching and wheezing. At the restaurants in my hometown, they don't have cats wandering around on the furniture, inside or out. I simply do not go to friends' houses that have cats, and ask beforehand whenever I am visiting someone for the first time. I invite them to mine instead. They are understanding and I've found that most people who have known or seen someone with asthma symptoms or are educated about it are. When we've bought a new house or rented one in our younger days, we always made sure previous owners did not have cats. That's how I "avoid animals in the town where I live". If I rent a lake house, I check first to see if the owners have cats or have allowed guests with cats to stay. When I hug a friend who has a cat, or sit next to them at a party, I often need my inhaler because of the cat hair/dander on their clothing.

It's easy to be dismissive when you don't struggle with this. I've been to CSA several times as well, so I know the cats are not invisible and I have seen them on verandahs...cute photos here to confirm. I will request a higher floor as always on my upcoming trip and hope I do not encounter any in the outdoor spaces at the restaurants.

My husband is allergic to cats as well, so he doesn't pet them. We always stay on a 2nd floor. Photo of cat is at our door, not inside the room....I wouldn't let them into the room. My initial point was how ironic a cat that looks like my deceased cat showed up on our doorstep.

You take all the right steps to avoid allergies. The dogs were a bigger problem to me on the beach, as they run freely and plop down at your feet. Hopefully you carry an inhaler. My question re how you handle where you live was just that. A question.... As I'm curious how things are in other parts of the world. Here in South Florida, there is an epidemic of taking doggies everywhere. In bags, strollers, or just on leashes. To me there's a time and place for pets.

I was happy to see someone say above they had taken a few animals from CSA to a shelter. Better for everyone. Again...I do "get it" with allergies. Sorry if it read differently.

I am at CSA sitting on my balcony as I type this. I arrived on Sunday, so I have been here 2 days. In that time I have not seen one dog on the property, but have seen three cats. The cats do not bother anyone. They are visible as you walk through the gardens. I have never seen them near a balcony or a restraunt. If CSA had a problem with these cat's, I think we would see a lot more being reproduced! Leave them alone and they won't bother you. FYI I am not a cat lover, but they are innocent cats not bothering a sole.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast