Default Convince me to come back to Couples!

My husband and I have been to CSA twice, in Dec 2011 and March 2010. We absolutely LOVED our first time- the staff, the beach, the drinks, the scuba diving, the gym (well my husband loved it....me not so much ).

Second time- not so much. Some things were beyond Couples control- like me being pregnant and sick, and the weather being quite cool and windy. Not Couples fault, but I don't have great memories of that trip.

A few years later I'm trying to decide where to book our next vacation in Jamaica. The Couples website has lured me back in....and the memories of the beach! I look at other resorts and nothing comes close to Negril.

My questions (ie convince me to come back)
    -have the bathrooms been renovated at all? I found them to be positively dingy on our second trip (both times in a beachfront verandah room). Are any room categories better? I really don't have huge expectations for a bathroom, but not dirty and full of mildew would be nice.
    -The service we received was much less friendly. Should we blame that on the time of year (NYE) and the resort being very busy?
    -The weather. Someone tell me that the end of March will always be hot and have blue skies and NO WIND (so that scuba won't be cancelled)?

My last question....what about changing from CSA to CN? Can anyone tell me how the gym is (that husband of mine...he says he only wants to go to CSA because of the outdoor running area, he is truly a crazy person wanting to run in 30+ degree heat)? It seems like they have even less restaurants than CSA as well, do you get tired of going to the same ones? Do they have any updated room (and bathroom) categories? I LOVE the look of the resort from when our shuttle bus dropped people off- the view from the lobby into the pool and ocean is amazing!

Thank you for your thoughts

Way too much info your leaving out as to what you like to do and why.

If crowded, weather no good, and pregnant than its to be expected.

We love Jamaica, but love lots of other places also. Love the beach, love the water and the all inclusive concept.

Why CSA for us? Tennis and their beach! WE like the laid back look and feel of the rooms, no TV and mature foliage. Some like new, shiny and grand concept. We do an ocean front room and being steps from the water. After a 10 year gap we made our 4th trip back to Jamaica and had been to CN when it just opened. WE are booked for November with another couple.

Never had any issues with Service and we had wonderful sunshine!

But remember, you all take the weather with you where ever you go!

We were just at CSA in January for our 9th trip to Couples. We initially had the opposite experience than you - I was not very impressed on our first trip, especially by the room. Then the next year we went to an AI in the Dominican Republic and that's when I realized just how special Couples is. I was blown away on our second trip to CSA and all of the trips after that.

I admit the rooms are not glamorous (we usually stay in the beachfront verandah suite). Many of the BFVS bathrooms have been renovated (zero entry shower), but when we were there in January, ours had not been renovated. But it certainly was not full of mildew. I did have to laugh at the exposed CFL bulb in the bathroom. Not very classy. Having said all that, I figure when I am in the BFVS, I am paying for the view and the proximity to the beach. It is really hard to get THAT close to the beach at other resorts for a similiar price.

Yes, it rained almost every afternoon that we were there, but surprisingly, none of our snorkel trips was ever cancelled (we always reserved morning trips). If you want to guarantee hot and sunny weather in March, you need to look at Aruba (which is basically a desert island). Almost anywhere else in the Caribbean gets a lot of rain (it is the tropics). At least at CSA in January, every single morning was hot and sunny and it only rained during the afternoons. We were in Barbados about 10 years ago in April and it was cloudy and rainy EVERY SINGLE DAY except for our first day and our last day.

No doubt, Couples is not for everyone. But many other adults only AI resorts have lots of singles and that takes away from the romantic couples vibe. Or there are some AI resorts where you pay extra for things like butler service. Not for us. At Couples, you don't get extra special treatment just because you paid a little bit more for your room. Everyone is treated special.

CN does not have a running track and only has a very small exercise room in comparison to CSA. We go to both resorts every year, and love them for the differences. We have good luck with service although at times it can be on extended island time, but we have no where to go and all the time in the world to get there. We go in high season to CN and low season to CSA and honestly, I see no difference in service or waits or anything else. I was concerned last year that they were having a hard time keeping Sangsters Rum Cream available, but only because the distillery was having issues keeping up. I hope the distillery does better next trip, and that the rest of you will quit drinking it until I have returned. Is good Mon!

If reading the hundreds of posts on this page and the thousands of responses...99% extolling the virtues of CSA (mine included) can't convince you to go back, I doubt adding another post will.

We go twice a year, every year, and fall in love with it more each time. See MY posts from our visit last week, then read another few dozen!

I can't speak to your questions about CN. However, I do have some perspective on NYE. We have been to both CSA and CSS on NYE. We had a good time each time. Then last Nov we went back to CSS. We got a real eye opener. We paid drastically less of course because it wasn't the busiest week of the year. We had a better experience. Reservations were easier to get, the staff was relaxed and very open and friendly with us, the travelers were less intense.... We started asking ourselves if we were really doing ourselves any favors traveling that NYE week or were we paying drastically more to have an experience that would be "less than" our overall experience had we went another week. This NYE we went to Mexico to a resort that is consistently highly rated. The experience was so so. Again, it left us wondering if the busy week was to blame. We love, love, love the festivities that week but are seriously considering using our vacation at other time points. I think it makes a difference in your overall experience. Of course, I can't be certain, but it does raise the question whether the NYE week rush negatively impacted your overall vacation vibe and experience.

If you need to be convinced to return to Jamaica, especially Couples, then maybe you need to find another vacation spot.
    Go to Couples Sans Souci, 98% of the guest can't be wrong.

"Once you go...you know."
    Steve & Victoria

Quote Originally Posted by scorpiogal View Post
    I can't speak to your questions about CN. However, I do have some perspective on NYE. We have been to both CSA and CSS on NYE. We had a good time each time. Then last Nov we went back to CSS. We got a real eye opener. We paid drastically less of course because it wasn't the busiest week of the year. We had a better experience. Reservations were easier to get, the staff was relaxed and very open and friendly with us, the travelers were less intense.... We started asking ourselves if we were really doing ourselves any favors traveling that NYE week or were we paying drastically more to have an experience that would be "less than" our overall experience had we went another week. This NYE we went to Mexico to a resort that is consistently highly rated. The experience was so so. Again, it left us wondering if the busy week was to blame. We love, love, love the festivities that week but are seriously considering using our vacation at other time points. I think it makes a difference in your overall experience. Of course, I can't be certain, but it does raise the question whether the NYE week rush negatively impacted your overall vacation vibe and experience.
    Thanks! I think my expectations were high too based on what other people on this board had said about NYE. I have no doubt that I could have a similar experience at many other resorts at that time (in fact a friend had similar complaints about NYE at another Negril resort) so I think I will just avoid travel at that time period in the future. Unfortunately my husband is a teacher so we are limited in our travel times!

Quote Originally Posted by smroot View Post
    CN does not have a running track and only has a very small exercise room in comparison to CSA. We go to both resorts every year, and love them for the differences. We have good luck with service although at times it can be on extended island time, but we have no where to go and all the time in the world to get there. We go in high season to CN and low season to CSA and honestly, I see no difference in service or waits or anything else. I was concerned last year that they were having a hard time keeping Sangsters Rum Cream available, but only because the distillery was having issues keeping up. I hope the distillery does better next trip, and that the rest of you will quit drinking it until I have returned. Is good Mon!
    Too bad there's no shuttle for guests at CN to take to the sports complex at CSA to work out!

Quote Originally Posted by BobandJudy View Post

I admit the rooms are not glamorous (we usually stay in the beachfront verandah suite). Many of the BFVS bathrooms have been renovated (zero entry shower), but when we were there in January, ours had not been renovated. But it certainly was not full of mildew. I did have to laugh at the exposed CFL bulb in the bathroom. Not very classy. Having said all that, I figure when I am in the BFVS, I am paying for the view and the proximity to the beach. It is really hard to get THAT close to the beach at other resorts for a similiar price.
    Yes, I agree with this! We had BFVS as well and loved the view and location.