Default Handful of newbie questions (staying at CN)

Hi all, this is our first trip to Jamaica and Couples Resorts so I have a lot of newbie questions for all you vets! We’re staying at Couples Negril Nov 8 – 13 2014.

I chatted with Couples and they said I can let them know my preference in floor/building and they can put it in their system. We’re in the Deluxe Beachfront room and I know I’d be happy with anything, but I’d still like to hear everyone’s preference. I imagine there are buildings that are noisier, floors that might have a better view, etc.
    So:
    What is your favorite building and why?
    What is your favorite floor and why?

When it comes to doing everything there, how far in advance do I need to make reservations? Should I have a plan of what we want to do every day so I can make reservations for it all as soon as we get there? I’d rather not but I’d also rather not miss out on something if I need plenty of notice to do it.

Does the same go for going to Swept Away? I signed us up for Romance Rewards so we can go to the resort for a day, do I need to reserve time to go there right when we get there (or even before)? And do I need to bring anything with me to prove that we have romance rewards or can they look up our name?

Are there any places that aren’t worth going to? I definitely want to go to the Sunset Bar but is Margaritaville fun/worth the time?

This is it for now, I imagine I will have more questions as the trip gets closer! Thanks for taking the time to read and answer my questions!

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    Hi all, this is our first trip to Jamaica and Couples Resorts so I have a lot of newbie questions for all you vets! We’re staying at Couples Negril Nov 8 – 13 2014.

I chatted with Couples and they said I can let them know my preference in floor/building and they can put it in their system. We’re in the Deluxe Beachfront room and I know I’d be happy with anything, but I’d still like to hear everyone’s preference. I imagine there are buildings that are noisier, floors that might have a better view, etc.
    So:
    What is your favorite building and why? We had Building 9 an Ocean View.
    What is your favorite floor and why? 3rd floor has a lot of step, especially for fat old people!!

When it comes to doing everything there, how far in advance do I need to make reservations? Should I have a plan of what we want to do every day so I can make reservations for it all as soon as we get there? I’d rather not but I’d also rather not miss out on something if I need plenty of notice to do it. A day. But many times, spots are available, even last minute. People make reservations, and don't show. Always check.

Does the same go for going to Swept Away? I signed us up for Romance Rewards so we can go to the resort for a day, do I need to reserve time to go there right when we get there (or even before)? And do I need to bring anything with me to prove that we have romance rewards or can they look up our name? Don't know.

Are there any places that aren’t worth going to? I definitely want to go to the Sunset Bar but is Margaritaville fun/worth the time? I don't think I'd waste my time But that is up to you. Margaritaville is a chain, and you can visit them any where. Why pay for drinks, when you can get better free, at the resort??

This is it for now, I imagine I will have more questions as the trip gets closer! Thanks for taking the time to read and answer my questions!
    Hope this helps a little.

Building 6, 1st floor. Great view of beach/ocean, walk out your back slider and you are on the beach! That is one of the many things I prefer at CN over CSA, is that when you sit on your patio there are no walkways in front of them. Make your Otaheite dinner (Lychee no reservations needed) reservations when you arrive and I would do the trading places reservation as well as they only do it one day a week (wednesday I think). CSA the same and you can not make reservations before arrival. Margaritaville is ok, since its your first time go and have a Perfect Margarita we save it for the airport on our way back to reality.
    Have a wonderful trip!!!

Congratulations! You will fall in love the moment you walk into the lobby and look out over the pool and beach! It is so beautiful.
    Many people like the third floor as you have a better view and more privacy, but my husband and I prefer the first floor. We love sitting out on the patio looking out at the gardens. Also, we don't like climbing the stairs every time we go to our room. As for beachfront rooms, I believe they are in ends of buildings 9(nearest the AN beach) 6, 1, and 5(nearest the water sports hut). I don't think you will go wrong with any of them.

CN does not take reservations for dinner or the catamaran cruise more than two days ahead of time. This is to give everyone a fair chance. The only restaurant you need reservations for at CN is Otaheite and you can make those at the concierge desk off the lobby. You can make reservations for the cat cruise, snorkling trip, and glass bottom at the water sports building.

As far as Trading places to Swept Away you can make reservations at the concierge desk also. They will have your name in the computer system. They do the TP on M,W,and F- 10am-4pm. The two years we went there were only a couple of other couples that did the trade.

We did not go to Margaritaville, but did do the sunset Bar trip and liked that. We enjoyed the ride there through Negril, seeing the sunset while having a drink and watching the kids jump off the cliff. (They will ask you for money) Make sure you do the Cat cruise as well. Lots of fun. We did not enjoy the shopping trip to Times Square in Negril. It was too commercialized. We much preferred the walking trip to the local market and also walking up the beach to see the local vendors.

There is so much to do and see. You will love it! CN is our favorite!!!!

Have fun!!!!

We have stayed in Building 3 and 4 and love both of them. That is the garden view. I don't believe in spending extra money for a fancy room because I'm not in my room except to pretty much sleep. I prefer the 3rd floor because it is one way of getting exercise and it is more "private" although we've been on the ground floor and it was fine. Just a personal preference. The views from the garden view are pretty and you can sit on the balconey, relax, watch the birds ect. if you want and it seems to be so peaceful. If I want to see the beach, which is fantastic, I go to the beach. It is not a far walk. Margaritaville is something you should do once just to say you've been there, done that, get pictures and ride the bus that they take you there in. It is hillarious, that is if they still use that same bus. Make sure to always have the camera handy. It is an expensive place for drinks, ect. but they do have entertainment and get the audiance involved. We were picked to play a game a couple of yrs ago and won 3rd place. We are both 61 yrs old. It was fun. We've done outtings to Mayfield Falls which we enjoyed. That is not included but an "extra" you have to pay for. We've done the catermeran cruise which also can be called the "booze cruise" or "sunset cruise". Again, fun and bring camera. They used to take you to Ricks Cafe, but they don't go that far anymore. We've not done the trip to Ricks cafe because sand gravity is real and great. Maybe next time. Don't miss Otaheit, it is a very "formal" dinner and very yummy. Don't stress about reservations. You can make them the first day you are there but I wouldn't worry about it too much. We've gotten in at the last minute on the glass bottom boat ride already. Go to watersports to sign up for glass bottom boat and sunset cruise. Make sure you bring some sort of water shoes if you don't want to walk barefoot to the catemaran because you will need to walk in the water a short way. You will only be waist deep so no worries. I can't swim and have not problems. They are also very helpful when you get to the latter. Don't stress about anything. You should have a fantastic time. It is a very "laid back" restful place with staff that will take care of you. I can't wait to get back, but not until spring for me if everything works out.
    Karin

Scroll through the message boards. All your answers and more are there! Enjoy!

More also

We love building two second level but that doesn't help you any. Building 6 does not have a sidewalk out side the patio doors but if you go to bed before 10/10:30 the nightly entertainment noise could be a nuisance. Building 9 and 5 are the furtherest from everything and also do not have sidewalks outside the patio but their beach locations are less desirable in my opinion. Building 1 does have a sidewalk outside it but that didn't bother us because the traffic was very light. It seems that most people would always swing by the pool bar or upstairs or to the Internet cafe or to drop off beach towels before going to the room so most of them returned to buildings 1,2,3&4 by going by Lychee and building 5 people seemed to go up the beach towards the water sports hut. I say request building 1. Since you haven't gone before experience what you can but if you seem busy give up a few things...Margaritaville would be last on the list. I think you could have a good time there but experience "local" first.

We love building6. However they are starting to remodel it this week so I doubt it will be done by November. Building 5 would be my next choice then 1.

All of the food is excellent no matter where you eat. Even the beach grill is good.

Quote Originally Posted by newtnugget View Post
    Make your Otaheite dinner (Lychee no reservations needed) reservations when you arrive and I would do the trading places reservation as well as they only do it one day a week (wednesday I think).
    With all due respect, I think your information is incorrect. The last I checked, they offer Trading Spaces three times during the week - Monday, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Also, the last time I was at CN you did need reservations for Lychee.

We are here now - no reservations are needed for Lychee.

We were in building 9 which has a great view. We were on the 2nd floor, which seems to be the sweet spot. Up a level so you get a better view, but only 1 flight of stairs to deal with. If noise is a concern, building 9 is further away from the center of the resort, and therefore quieter.

When we were there in May, we were able to just walk into Lychee twice, no reservation needed and no wait either time. We made the Otaheite reservation with no issue, and the night we were there, it was packed!

We didn't do trading places, but the info binder said Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

The 1st floor is nice if you have issues with steps or prefer the ground-level patio, but it seems less private to us.

We prefer 2nd floor for the view and private balcony and not too many steps.

The 3rd floor has great views and the most privacy but lots of steps. It is also the best choice for smokers who can smoke on their balconies without affecting the guests on the lower floors.

For the money, we like CN's gardenview rooms. They still have great views and seem more private. CN's oceanview rooms are much pricier and, because of the foilage and angles of the buildings, most of the those rooms don't really have great direct ocean views. We have stayed in the oceanviews before, but now stay in gardenviews and use the price savings to stay an extra night.

For building choices, it all really depends on what you want... privacy or convenience. Buildings 1-5 are more private and mostly gardenviews. Buildings 6-9 are closer to the nude beach and are mostly oceanviews. Buildings 3-5 and 8-9 have more privacy, but may involve more walking back and forth for stops at your room. Buildings 1-2 and 6-7 are the most convenient, as in closest to the restaurants and main pool, but may involve more traffic. Our favorite for the price, privacy, and convenience is building 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Volleygirl26 View Post
    We are here now - no reservations are needed for Lychee.
    Thanks for setting me straight on that, Volleygirl. Clearly I must have misremembered having had to make reservations at Lychee.

We love builing 6. We have been on the ground floor which was great for access to the AN facilities and also on the 2nd floor which gave a bit more privacy. However, while on the 2nd floor we were hardly able to sit on the balcony, which we love to do, because of the guests below us that smoked. It wasn't a deal breaker but it wasn't so pleasant. If we couldnt get 6, we would request 9.
    Ronda and Doug
    COR Dec. 2007
    CTI Dec. 2009, Dec. 2015
    CSS Dec. 2008, Dec. 2012, Dec. 2014
    CN Dec. 2011, Dec. 2013