Default Drivers to the Couples Resorts

We have been to the Couples resorts now on 9 different occasions and return
    Nov. 20 for our next trip.
    I realize that the drivers taking everyone to the resorts are not employed by
    Couples however they are no doubt paid by the resorts.
    We have noticed the last number of times that the drivers have carried on
    absolutely no conversation with the passengers and we feel it is very important
    to do some sort of commentary about the island in particular for the people who have never been to
    the island.

We too have noticed little or no conversation in about the last 5 years or so. We just kinda figured we had a very quiet driver but we did miss how it used to be. Not only entertaining but very informative as well.
    Maybe we just had bad luck with the driver but we always still had fun with our fellow passengers. In two trips to the Negril side and one to CSS, the driver never even asked us if we wanted to stop. I realize we could have spoke up but it wasn't that big a deal if we did or not. It is nice to be given the option though.

I'm probably in the minority, but I'd just as soon the drivers be quiet and drive. I don't need a bunch of incessant yammering about the movie "Cool Runnings" or to see Lenox Lewis's house. Get me there in one piece and without a heart attack is all I ask. If I'm interested in Jamaican history I can Google it.

We usually take TimAir when we go to Negril, so can't comment on drivers there in recent years - but in December our driver to CSS was VERY talkative and pointed out everything thing we passed and was very personable. We were the only ones on the shuttle so it was like a private tour. I don't remember his name, but I know he was great and was tipped accordingly!

We were at CSA a few months ago. The van driver that took us to the resort was very friendly. He talked the whole time! We did have a small group (6) of passengers. We even stopped along the way to see a "local" bar. The driver on the ride back to Mobay never said a word. That was a much larger group, probably 16 people, and was on a big bus. The ride back is very sad, as you are leaving, so nobody really was in the mood to talk. He did play some Bob Marley music on the radio, that made it a little bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by Gin Mon View Post
    I'm probably in the minority, but I'd just as soon the drivers be quiet and drive. I don't need a bunch of incessant yammering about the movie "Cool Runnings" or to see Lenox Lewis's house. Get me there in one piece and without a heart attack is all I ask. If I'm interested in Jamaican history I can Google it.
    You aren't alone, I prefer a quiet drive as well. Then again I work with the public day in and day out when I'm at home, so when I'm on vacation the last thing I usually want to do is talk to people since I have to do it everyday at work.

Each driver asks "anyone here for their first time". We notice that the drivers talk more during the trip if there are a majority of new guests to Jamaica. I think they realize that the rest of us know the route pretty well by now. We still ask questions or ask about their day to try to make conversation. We too just want to get to the resort as soon as possible.

Life is good

Quote Originally Posted by Ragtop63 View Post
    We were at CSA a few months ago. The van driver that took us to the resort was very friendly. He talked the whole time! We did have a small group (6) of passengers. We even stopped along the way to see a "local" bar. The driver on the ride back to Mobay never said a word. That was a much larger group, probably 16 people, and was on a big bus. The ride back is very sad, as you are leaving, so nobody really was in the mood to talk. He did play some Bob Marley music on the radio, that made it a little bit better.
    all i can say is "TIMAIR"
    JAMBONY

Our trip this past January, we had a quiet driver, as the shuttle was full and everyone was talking. All other trips we had talkative drivers and learned different things from each one. We don't find it a nuisance, more of a minor history lesson, as the drivers are proud of their country and want to show it off.

Duane & Mary

Right there with you, jambony! TimAir is pricey, but we consider it to be our "offsite excursion". We are so excited to get to the resort and that flight just adds to the excitement. I love buying a couple of bottles of Red Stripe and enjoying them on the flight - I offer one to the pilot and he politely refuses. We have taken TimAir back to MB, but now we figure that we are in no rush and take the bus back & save the extra $ for Club Mobay departure (last time we opted not to spend the $ on Club Mobay and regretted it - spent the same amount of $ on some rather lame food and drink inside the airport, would rather have been at Club Mobay).

Anyone else remember the days when a Couples coordinator was on the bus from the Airport? Cooler of Red Stripe and all registration paperwork was done long before getting to the resort.

We have been twice. Once to each side of the island 2013 and 2014. Both times our drivers were very talkative, which I love because we get to learn about the history, locations, and culture. It makes us appreciate the resort that much more seeing and learning about the island. I can't remember our first driver... Captain something. And our second driver was Triple R. Both great drivers