Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default PETITION- LETS SAVE NEGRIL's BEAUTIFUL BEACHES

The Government of Jamaica wants to build 2 large rubble mound breakwaters in the tourist resort of Negril, to stop beach erosion. History has shown that hard structures like these actually end up causing more erosion than they prevent. Expensive to build and to maintain, the rubble mound breakwaters will be an eyesore and ruin the beautiful sunsets seen from this most western part of the island. There is also concern that these proposed rubble mound structures will damage the existing reef and boulders could be washed ashore during storms/hurricanes. Negril is a small resort town and 24 truckloads daily of boulders being trucked in and taken by barge to be dropped in the crystal clear waters that exist there now will certainly impact local businesses. The stakeholders and residents of the community want environmentally sound solutions and are calling for beach nourishment and the restoration of the morass to combat erosion. Please sign to say NO BREAKWATERS IN NEGRIL!

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition.../?dnyUFab&pv=0
    Michelle Gordon
    ------------------
    On-Island Social Media Coordinator
    Couples Resorts

My "NO" vote has been cast.

Quote Originally Posted by rjammin View Post
    My "NO" vote has been cast.
    Ditto.

signed, you should make this a sticky

me too

I voted no! This literally has me in tears just thinking about it! Although we prefer Jamaica over Mexico any day the only thing we honestly don't like about the Riviera Maya are the breakwaters. So ugly!!
    CSA 2009, 2011 & 2013

Done! Thanks for sharing!

Mark & April
    CSA - 06/03 (Honeymoon), 07/08, 10/09, 10/11, 5/14
    Secret Rendezvous - 11/05 (CN), 06/07 (CSS), 12/12 (CTI)

My No vote has been sent and posted on Facebook as well!

Done!!!

Awful! Signed and hoping it makes a difference.

I agree with CSAJunkie. The breakwaters in Mexico take away from what would be a gorgeous beach. They really need to think about this. It could possibly screw up a perfect thing!

Did it the other day. We are going to go to Swept Away after 1 more trip to CSS. I cant wait to see the beaches everyone raves about, I hope they don't ruin them.t

Just signed the petition. Really hope that we get enough votes to prevent this happening. Not sure exactly where they plan to put these mounds. Will be in C.N. in a few weeks so looking forward to another trip to this beautiful island and Couples.

Roberta

Voted NO!!! Having been to the Riveria Maya as well we would hate to see Negril have the break waters put in... I understand the beach erosion is potentially a large concern for the travel industry there but we have experienced both large and small beaches while at CSA and neither impacted our trip to a point of wishing they had break waters...

Signed and posted to FB. This would totally ruin the utter perfection of Negril's coastline. We pray this petition works and the breakwater project is squashed.

My "NO" vote has been cast, and here is why... as a society, we need to cure the disease. Treating the symptom... if that's even possible... is only a short term solution that has its consequences, such as obscuring sunsets, reef damage, species endangerment, and so on.

If you haven't yet questioned this move, a no vote with comments may make a difference! But let's be clear on the Jamaican Government's intent. They are not being malicious, nor misguided in proposing the breakwater; it is a tool commonly used to control beach erosion. The beach is a precious resource at Negril that brings in a LOT of us who love the area and its people. A few years back, a private landowner north of SweptAway had sunk some caissons offshore to protect his stretch of beach, though I don't know how effective its been. In my opinion, this is a dangerous experiment for a lot of reasons, as outlined in Michelle's request.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

I signed
    CSS OCT 2009
    CSS OCT 2011
    CSS OCT 2014

NO! to breakwaters

In the words of the inimitable Nancy Reagan, I Just Said NO!

A related guest-column article from Sunday Gleaner:
    "Beyond The Negril Beach Spin"

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...us/focus4.html

I believe the guest columnist (Mary Veira) works for Couples.

Posted my NO !

A good article but looking at the picture it looks more like the Couples Swept away part of the Beach, and I don't believe it is a Couples property. That does not detract from the article at all, just an observation. I am a firm believer in letting nature take it's natural course, but here it sounds like they may have done some things that were not well thought out. I agree with no breakwater, especially one that is above the water line.

Protect the beach! Vote NO.

Life is good

I voted "NO" and so did my spouse!!!!!

Done!

CSA 2009, 2014 [20th anniversary]
    CSS 2010
    CN 2011

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast