Thread: CSS - review

Default CSS - review

Hi all...just wanted to post a review of our first (and not last!) experience at CSS in May (we are already planning our first return visit for spring of next year).

First, let me say we were 'virgins', both to Couples and to the Au Natural experience. I was probably more nervous about it than my wife. We are 61 and 60, ungroomed, and while fit, are not as aerodymanic as we once were. None of that mattered though because as everyone says, within minutes, it felt completely natural to be au natural (no pun intended) and we were socializing with a lot of great, non-judgemental new friends at the pool bar - too many to mention by name. We all left vowing to keep up with each other via email, facebook and possibly joint vacations!

The weather was good - although we encountered quite a bit of rain (May and October are the rainiest of months apparently). But hey, we were wet anyway, and we just ended up sitting under the pool bar overhang drinking with a whole lot of our new (and very naked) friends. A fabulous first - life is what you make it! Early on in our visit we'd run into a couple from Texas that were there on their 4th trip - they were so welcoming and would bring jello shots to the bar, and gave everyone from our au natural group (the sunset beach skinnydippers association) glow necklaces for the beach party.

Anyway, as far as Sunset Beach goes, like all posters before, our advice is get there early and get there often - you won't regret it. The one thing is though - plan to take some pictures of yourself over at the main beach, otherwise you'll have absolutely no daytime pictures to prove to your friends/family that you really were in Jamaica (Lol). SSB is a nice private beach and just great for the first/many time Au Natural folks. Other than for one exception when 5 young ladies came over to "check things out" (i.e. do a little looking without their husbands), both Patti and I felt there were no gawkers or uncomfortable times. Anyway, the pool bar is wonderful and if you want more privacy, there are plenty of great beach seats available away from it. There are also spirited games of pool volleyball and other activities (trivia contests, etc.) that happen during the day. While the food is good - there wasn't a lot of variety to it - but after a whole bunch of 'virgin bikini's' or Red Stripes, I didn't mind. Also try the Rum Creams on ice, and at least one "Bob Marley" - needless to say I definately have a lot of new favorite drinks!

The adjacent river does pour some cold water into the ocean by the beach. But it's quite rocky there in anycase so swimming/wading into the ocean (even with beach shoes on) isn't the best. If you can stand the coolness of the river water, it is sandy at its mouth, and you can wade out quite a ways into the ocean to moon the occassional Sandels boat that shows up and stops to let folks peer jealously at an au natural beach. The occassional kayaker or jetski operator that shows up to look typically beat-feet the minute you wave at them (or moon them). I did run into a fisherman who was spearing his families lunch one day and had a nice and interesting chat with him, and there was one young boy trying to get folks attention from nearby the river so he could sell some conch shells. The locals generally keep their distance and I didn't see a one of them looking over at any of the 'sights'.

The one thing that would improve the situation at SSB - perhaps an evening party just for the Au Natural folks - similar to the beach party or gala - with music, food, etc. It'd also be nice to have a few more speakers at the pool - especially on the far end of the pool. There were times we couldn't hear the music (if we happended to be sitting down there). On the other hand, we had so much fun visiting our new-found friends and participating in the pool side activities that we hardly noticed the lack of music.

As I said, my wife (who had gone topless before in Greece) and I were new to the Au Natural scene. It was lovely and we are having withdrawal symptoms abated somewhat by a large private deck in our backyard which we now have re-named our very own Jamaican Couples deck - I am currently making a sign similar to the one that says no photos, etc. to complete the look!). Back to SSB...never in my wildest did I expect to end up naked bar-tending at an evening party a large group of us planned at the SSB pool on a Wednesday night. We'd made arrangements for the party and a bartender - but something fell through the cracks and we all showed up and waited - but alas no bar tender/lights/etc. We called the front desk and I have to say that CSS managament went out of their way to make things right by hauling over a keg, turning on the lights and the juice/mixer machine - and not charging us for the private party! To supplement the keg, several of us went back to our rooms and brought over various supplies from our in-room stock.

The Resort is all it's cracked up to be. We had a great room/view of the main beach from the D-block (D17). Are their some stairs - yes. But after all the drinking and eating, it was good to get a little exercise. The main beach is supposed to be topless - although I never saw anyone exercising that option..The house band and show-times were a lot of fun. There is something to be said for singing and dancing under the stars...plus I got to duet with one of the main singers (sang 'Summertime'). The restaurants are nice - but plan to eat a nice and slow dinner (it'll take an hour and a half). The beach party was fun (I missed buying a cd from the Silver Birds - a steel drum band that performed and do regret that). The gala had to happen indoors due to rain. It was still a lot of fun and the entertainment/showtime was really good. Even when there was a brief power outage the singer went on without amplification - what a trooper!

CSS has been around for a while and frankly the rooms show it it a bit. But they are clean and comfortable and well appointed - and the vegetation is so lush around the place that I'd much rather vacation there than any new 'cookie cutter' resort. I believe there are only 150 total rooms - but that (along with the lack of kids running around) contributes to the intimacy of the place. We had a ocean view suite - quaint and nice. I am not sure I've ever vacationed anywhere where on the way to breakfast we'd run into 10 - 12 couples that we could have a meaningful discussion with. As far as the spa - another great experience (we had a couples seaweed wrap). It was funny that after a half of week of being mostly naked in front of lots of people, the two young ladies that attended to my wife and I asked "are you bashful" just before we disrobed - you can probably guess what that answer was.

Ok..enough of this long love-fest ramble. If you're a first-timer - you'll love CSS and SSB. For those return visitors - you know what I mean. It's the best!

Thanks for your review. Very interesting to hear your feedback.

You mentioned you stayed in D17. We are booked for a One-Bedroom Ocean Suite in July, and I am wondering if you had the opportunity to compare your room with other buildings which offer this same room category? (such as G-block)? It appears that D may be more centrally located and convenient to much of the resort amenities (less walking), although G is higher up the cliffs and might offer a better view? Or perhaps the rooms and/or balconies are slightly different between the two buildings? Any feedback would be appreciated.

(anyone else who wants to weigh in on their experience, and can describe the advantages / disadvantages of the various buildings which offer the One BDRM Ocean Suite rooms, please advise).
    CTI & CSS 2014

Great review there! Any chance that you could cut and paste it into the 'feedback after our vacation' thread here on the AN section? I am trying to keep that thread going as it seems to have proven useful to many already. I am so glad that you had an extremely positive experience (most do, to be fair). We are off to CSS again in October and SSB is such an amazing draw for us. Everything a perfect holiday should be. Sun, lovely food, nice guests, excellent staff and, let's face it, seeing my wife naked for pretty much all day. As had been said before, it is a bit like 10 hours of foreplay, without the touching! hehehehe.

Mike and Patti,
    It was a great week May17 thru May24. We had such an amazing time at the resort despite the rain. Being part of the SSB group was the most fun we have had in many years! It was great how people from all over and had never met before could form friendships so quickly and have so much FUN! This also was our first time. We went the first day to SSB found a spot by ourselves. That lasted for about an hour, got too hot and went to the bar for a while and then never left the bar and pool scene after that. We did also go to the other parts of the resort and try to do everything that the property had to offer. We are still talking about what a great time we had and would love to go back ASAP(Ha Ha). One thing that I must say is that we visited all the bars at the resort and it is my opinion that the SSB bar had one of the most professional and hardest working Bartenders at the property!!(It is not an easy job to be a great Bartender.)

Quote Originally Posted by jdubya View Post
    Thanks for your review. Very interesting to hear your feedback.

You mentioned you stayed in D17. We are booked for a One-Bedroom Ocean Suite in July, and I am wondering if you had the opportunity to compare your room with other buildings which offer this same room category? (such as G-block)? It appears that D may be more centrally located and convenient to much of the resort amenities (less walking), although G is higher up the cliffs and might offer a better view? Or perhaps the rooms and/or balconies are slightly different between the two buildings? Any feedback would be appreciated.

(anyone else who wants to weigh in on their experience, and can describe the advantages / disadvantages of the various buildings which offer the One BDRM Ocean Suite rooms, please advise).
    'Morning jdubya...no we did not do any room comparisons. As far as I could tell from a very cursory look, the balconies for one-bedroom ocean suites appear to be pretty standard. G would be further from the main beach (or certainly SSB - depending on your preference). We had talked about booking a beach-front room - preferrably in Group A next time to be closer to SSB, but honestly, the walking and stairs didn't bother us at all. I would not be bothered by staying in G-block as the walk through the lush grounds to get there would be worth the extra steps it takes to get to the restaurants, etc. Enjoy your trip!

Yup, I can cut and paste this in that thread...enjoy the day!

Quote Originally Posted by T&C2014 View Post
    Mike and Patti,
    It was a great week May17 thru May24. We had such an amazing time at the resort despite the rain. Being part of the SSB group was the most fun we have had in many years! It was great how people from all over and had never met before could form friendships so quickly and have so much FUN! This also was our first time. We went the first day to SSB found a spot by ourselves. That lasted for about an hour, got too hot and went to the bar for a while and then never left the bar and pool scene after that. We did also go to the other parts of the resort and try to do everything that the property had to offer. We are still talking about what a great time we had and would love to go back ASAP(Ha Ha). One thing that I must say is that we visited all the bars at the resort and it is my opinion that the SSB bar had one of the most professional and hardest working Bartenders at the property!!(It is not an easy job to be a great Bartender.)
    LOL...yes, I realize that now after having gotten just a small taste of what it is to tend bar during our vacay. Funniest line was uttered by one of the male guests at our little private pool party who said, 'how much flesh does one have to expose around here to get a little service" (a shout out to Mike from South Dakota!). Anyway, Patti and I are busy checking dates already for next year...and are thinking maybe sometime from Mid March to end of April...my birthday is 4/21 so that might be good to spend the day lazing out at SSB turning a year older.