Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Island sun block advice

This will be my future wife and I's first AU Naturel experience. Any advice on sunblock for privates? I really dont want to get sun burnt on my honeymooon.
    Last edited by Auburn; October 9th, 2009 at 06:37 PM. Reason: spelling

Yes, it's offered, but this is something that's best taken care of before arrival. Salt water is irritating to just-waxed skin, so it's recommended that you avoid salt water for 24 hours after waxing.

To illustrate: When we stayed at CN in 2000, we attended the dinner for returning guests, and I was seated next to Gary Stephens, who was the general manager at CN. He told me about a woman who had been planning to marry at the resort and who had her upper lip waxed. Although she signed the liability waiver, which instructed her to avoid salt water for 24 hours, she apparently went into the ocean a few hours after her waxing. When she awakened the next morning, she found that a black crusty "mustache" had formed on her upper lip. They couldn't do anything about it, and it happened because her skin was so irritated by the salt water. She and her fiance cancelled their wedding b/c she looked horrible.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Tan nude before you go!

I prefer the spray because it seems to cover well but it does sting sometimes. Hubby uses a lotion on his body - all over and neither of us have had any bad burns. The best advise I can give it to apply the sunscreen in your room and really be sure you get every part of your body - one year hubby missed a small spot on his chest and it burned so badly he had to have it covered the rest of the trip. Bring you lotion down to the beach with you for re application.
    ... it keepsh me shane

Auburn,
    I can tell you what works best for me. My girlfriend prefers spray, but I use a lotion. I strip down and cover everything with SPF 50 lotion in my room about 30 minutes before going into the sun. I use a generic brand from Walmart called "NO ADD" , which stands for NOT ADVERTISED (again, it is generic, but is recommended by dermatologists). It lasts me all day, even if I get in the water, but I use the spray a couple of times throughout the day just to be safe. Here are a couple of extra hints... The SPF 50 lotion is very thick and can be hard to spread. Leave it on your balcony when you are in your room so it stays nice and warm. It spreads much easier when it is warm. If you leave it in the room, the AC will make it cold and thicker. Also, Make sure to use the lotion on the "boys" because most of the sprays have alcohol in them. I made the mistake of putting spray on the boys one time while I was on the beach because I didn't want everyone seeing me rub the lotion on them in public (not a pretty sight). OMG!!! That stuff burned and I thought I was going to cry for a minute or two. Now, if I re-apply while on the beach, I put a towel over myself and use the lotion! I hope that helps.

PS.......Roll Tide!!!!!!!!!!

SPF 50 or SPF 70! Re-apply every couple of hours. I use lotion to avoid the alcohol sting. Yeah sure it's thick and may appear white for a few minutes after being applied but it will "melt" and become clear pretty quickly in the hot Jamaica sun.

Don't be shy about re-applying at the beach, but try to be somewhat discreet.

ENJOY!

The sun in JA is very very strong. Use higher protection then you would at home. Spray for men in certain parts ouch - no one will care that you need to reapply we are all in the same circumstance. Better too much than not enough. FYI, I always need time in the shade. Do not overdue the sun if you are not used to it. Simply not worth it and drink lots of water in between the libation!

Auburn

Apply plenty of suntan lotion before you venture out in the morning and apply frequently during the day. Your S/O can help with the applications.

BEWARE of burnt bunns. Been there done that!

Apply before you go out and reapply. Start with a high number and work you way down for a good dark tan. Use the about the same number all over for you will get tanned all over equal and body dark tanned with your privates still white.

We start out with 30 for a day or two and then 12 to 4. If a part is getting hot, then we put 30 on it.
    Irie Mon

Two more tips:

1. as has been said, apply sunscreen LIBERALLY in your room before you head to the beach, and it's probably a good idea to re-apply when you arrive at the beach and disrobe, in those areas where your clothes have been rubbing against your skin while you walked to the beach. Think of this way... you can never have too much sunscreen on your body, but you can definitely have too little!

2. This is from experience... if you have any spa treatments and plan to sit in the sun afterwards, be sure to wash off (really thoroughly) the lotion/oil applied at the spa before you put your sunscreen on. The oils and lotion can interfere with your skin's ability to absorb the sunscreen. We did a couple's massage in the morning. My wife got a minor sunburn on her chest and in a couple of places that day. Funny thing is, she was not burned in those areas that never see the sun. Of course those same areas that don't usually see the sun did not have any oil or lotion applied during the massage. She was fine every other day. It was a good thing one of the AN sunbathers noticed her getting a bit red before her burn got really bad.

ENJOY!

Roclin:

Great tip on washing off the spa oil, it got me too. Spa Oil and water based sun tan lotion do not work together.
    Last edited by jon1963; October 21st, 2009 at 09:15 AM.
    Irie Mon

Definitely apply plenty of a high SPF to the more "sensitive" areas, and reapply often. Everyone puts on sunblock at some point, no need to worry about doing it out in "public". In fact that was a big joke last April at CTI when I said where can men get away doing something like this in front of other people? Only at an A/N setting. It's normal, don't worry mon!

Sherm

NOW you tell me about the spa oils and washing them off.

No wonder I burnt my bunns.

Beware - even with SPF50, if you are out in the Jamaican sun between 10 and 2, you might still get burned! Be extra careful during those times. Limit time in the water and try to stay in the shade more, especially if you are fair-skinned as I am. There's lots of good shade on both sides of the beach to escape.

Quote Originally Posted by RDYJMJM View Post
    NOW you tell me about the spa oils and washing them off.

No wonder I burnt my bunns.
    Yep... that Jamaican toaster-of-a-sun will certainly burn your buns if you're not careful... or just coming from a massage... and now that we know we will only be scheduling late afternoon massages from now on.

I wore 30 spf all over my entire week... I think I should have dropped down a bit, I didn't get near as tan as I wanted to.. but I have pretty fair skin, so I was happy to not have burned.

Hey Barren, I never use less than SPF30. Sure I don't get as dark (or as red)as i would if I used a lower SPF, but I've found that my tan lasts longer after I get home than when I used to use a lower SPF.

ENJOY!

I guess I should have noted that I never sat out in the sun at peak times (10-2)... We would visit the island in the afternoon, so the sun wasn't as strong. We slept in a bit and did other activities in the mornings (scuba, snorkel, dunn's river, etc.) and would generally go to the island after lunch. I think our last day, we went out around 11 and stayed during peak times but we mostly kept to the shade. We were worried about getting burned, so we were cautious.

The best of all this advice is the part about applying it in your room and allowing it to soak in for at least 15 - 20 minutes before you put on any clothes to wear to the beach. I haven't ever burned when I took the time to do this! :-)

Also... Wear A Hat!!!

My sweetie uses that No-AD stuff, too, and he likes it..... I use the spray as it is really easy to go on the balcony and have him spray me head to toe.

We usually stay on the beach all day except for lunch - but we try find a seat in the shade (or under an umbrella at resorts that have then) for the hottest part of the day.

I thought I applied enough sun block, but NO... I got burned in a few places that the sun never sees!!! We were on the island the week of Nov 15 and my b**bs and b*t are STILL peeling!!!
    Last edited by tracyl; November 28th, 2009 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Auburn View Post
    This will be my future wife and I's first AU Naturel experience. Any advice on sunblock for privates? I really dont want to get sun burnt on my honeymooon.
    My wife and I have been nudists for over 12 years, belong to a resort that we go to most every weekend, especially in the summer. While everyones chest and tush will sunburn easily, I have never applied any lotion on my private parts, and have never burned, all summer long. And my wife doesn't apply anything on herself down there either. Some body parts just don't burn I guess.

I used to use 50 all over but found I never came home with the dark tan I wanted - For the last 2 years I use 15 and apply 30 when I see a spot burning, I also use 30 on my face. I have to mention that I also probably spend 50% of my time in the shade as not to fry the brain in the hot Jamaican sun. Hubby uses a hat to shade his privates - he says the sun is so hot he can feel the burn.

It's so cold and crappy here I think I would take the chance at this moment to try no sunscreen just to get my dose of Vit D. Unfortunately I got back from CSS and jumped straight into the fry pan of life and cannot book my next trip due to a recent job loss.
    ... it keepsh me shane

Quote Originally Posted by ahhh vacation View Post
    My wife and I have been nudists for over 12 years, belong to a resort that we go to most every weekend, especially in the summer. While everyones chest and tush will sunburn easily, I have never applied any lotion on my private parts, and have never burned, all summer long. And my wife doesn't apply anything on herself down there either. Some body parts just don't burn I guess.
    I've noticed that, too, from tanning beds. But I refuse to test that theory in the hot Jamaican sun, and apply liberally!

Hope I can tactfully jump on my soapbox and mention a word about being careful with the sprays. When you are NOT in the privacy of your room or balcony, be considerate of others and nature when applying. I have seen the wind take the spray and it ends up not on the body it was intended for, but in the pool, in someone's drink, in the ocean. Yuck!

We're heading to CTI and CN in March and are considering only carry on luggage. Issue being that you can't take a full bottle of sun tan lotion on the plane with the liquid rules. Can you buy good suntan lotion at the resort?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast